Hyper Martial Arts

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you tried HYPER?

It is one hell of a cardio work out, an amzing strength builder and will push an martial artist to be better.

Most of the HYPER pro compete and dominate in the traditional forms at event and dominate the division. The skill it takes to pull off the tricks take more skill, sharper basics and more agilty than the above average martial artist posseses

I just love it when uninformed and uneducated make assumptions. Go back to your cave and enjoy the drk ages ugh ugh fire bad.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder to please keep the conversation polite.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is one hell of a cardio work out, an amzing strength builder and will push an martial artist to be better.

It's always good to be healthy and in shape, but martial arts are not really about being physically fit.

Most of the HYPER pro compete and dominate in the traditional forms at event and dominate the division. The skill it takes to pull off the tricks take more skill, sharper basics and more agilty than the above average martial artist posseses.

XMA and similar methods of training don't hold any real martial value, they look good as a spectacle so they win at events. Being able to pull off "tricks" might make you a better athlete but not a better martial artist necessarily.

I just love it when uninformed and uneducated make assumptions. Go back to your cave and enjoy the drk ages ugh ugh fire bad.

And just because someone has a different opinion does not mean they are uneducated or uninformed. It's just a difference of opinion.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From watching a few of their videos, they look like pretty good acrobats! Definitely feeling the speed and agility. And the bo spinning was very good. But it looked, well, like it was 90% about looking flashy and jumping around. But if that's the goal, it definitely works for that. It would definitely make for some nice demos.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you tried HYPER?

Most of the HYPER pro compete and dominate in the traditional forms at event and dominate the division. The skill it takes to pull off the tricks take more skill, sharper basics and more agilty than the above average martial artist posseses

So lets say you have one year to prep a student for a full contact fight, kickboxing/mma/whatever. At what point in that year would you start practicing backflips to enhance the students training regimen?

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, my school is pretty traditional. We don't do tricking or hyper MA. Where it breaks away from our style is by mixing in grappling classes to make more complete fighters.

Tricking/ hyper is cool acrobatics, just like modern day Chinese government approved Wushu. Respect the athleticism, respect the skill. But it isn't what I would consider a MA as I don't think it teaches practical fighting skills.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But why is the rum always gone?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you tried HYPER?

OK I will assume you are referring to me, you should use the Reply With Quote function.

Maybe my use of the word ridiculous was a bit harsh, certainly if you want to use HYPER for what it is intended for - acrobatics, competition and entertainment then it is just fine. But if you are trying to pass it off as self defence that that is dangerous for the student.

Oh and that's 'Captain Caveman' to you. If you knew anything about history or evolution you would know that the caveman days and the dark ages were thousand of years apart.

If you want to sharpen the basics then practice the basics and consider this if the time you spent learning tricks, flash kicks and back flips were spent learning the basics and self defence then you would be a better martial artist and more able to defend yourself if you were attacked.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of it, and to me, its not really something that a) interests me, and b) I think it takes away from the value of the arts. Sorry, but when you have to start adding in fancy gymnastic type routines/workouts, well....thanks but no thanks. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually, there is one instance that I know of that tumbling, rolling, and jumping skills were used for martial arts training. It was mentioned by the Japanese fighter pilots of WWII that they used these techniques so that they could train their bodies to have better spatial awareness in 3 dimensions so they would be prepared to pull the maneauvers associated with dogfighting.

TimS

White Belt
Reaction score
OK forgive the FNG question here. Ultimately what is the point of something like this? I see at least one school near me that promotes some sort of 3rd party content that seems outside of the type of karate the school is associated with. Are students getting bored at the school? Are teachers getting tired of teaching? Is the market in general fatigued so schools look for new content for competitive reasons? I'm really curious.

Janina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After watching one of those videos I was thinking what would happen if one would fight against skillful Krav Maga or Muai Thai fighter or Kickboxer with using techniques like these? I mean these stunts look great and I am sure they are great practice for good body balance (like Yoga for instance), but purely as a fighting method... I don´t know..

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you tried HYPER?

HEY! I happen to like my cave - it keeps me safe from danger.

ug

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
HEY! I happen to like my cave - it keeps me safe from danger.

ug

yes. ug. man take rock. man drop rock on enemy. ug. enemy not dead, man drop rock on enemy. ug. enemy dead. man make fire. ug. man cook enemy with fire. man eat enemy. enemy is food. ug.

enemy skilled. enemy now food. ug. man dropped rock on enemy. man draw on wall with color stick. man take nap. ug.

:lurk:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
yes. ug. man take rock. man drop rock on enemy. ug. enemy not dead, man drop rock on enemy. ug. enemy dead. man make fire. ug. man cook enemy with fire. man eat enemy. enemy is food. ug.

enemy skilled. enemy now food. ug. man dropped rock on enemy. man draw on wall with color stick. man take nap. ug.

:lurk:

I was with you up to the part where you ate the guy (me used rocks and bricks to drive off enemies before).

Latest Discussions