Human Weapon - Krav Maga Clip!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In at least one of the episodes, we're told that over the course of a week, the host will "master" a particular art. I've been training for 31 years and I have yet to "master" anything. I've got a better than average grip on some basics but the idea of mastering even one style is beyond me, let alone, a different style every week.

Maybe I'm getting hung up on phrases and wordage too much but I think that tossing around "master" and "totally unique, found nowhere else" are the initial steps leading to the martial arts in general being so misunderstood.

On the whole, I'm enjoying the show but my wife has learned to leave the den when it comes on. Seems I spend way too much time yelling, "Bull ****!" at the tv screen for her peace of mind.:)
Remember, now, Bill said he's an experienced fighter...in another episode he said, "I did pretty good." It must be so.

I only saw part of the Krav Maga episode but I recall the trainer telling Bill and Jason they knew nothing about self-defense.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In at least one of the episodes, we're told that over the course of a week, the host will "master" a particular art. I've been training for 31 years and I have yet to "master" anything. I've got a better than average grip on some basics but the idea of mastering even one style is beyond me, let alone, a different style every week.

Maybe I'm getting hung up on phrases and wordage too much but I think that tossing around "master" and "totally unique, found nowhere else" are the initial steps leading to the martial arts in general being so misunderstood.

On the whole, I'm enjoying the show but my wife has learned to leave the den when it comes on. Seems I spend way too much time yelling, "Bull ****!" at the tv screen for her peace of mind.:)

Yes when they tossed out in the preview that they would be mastering judo/jiujitsu that was pretty entertaining. What is really funny is that my wife caught it first and started laughing and then of course I eventually caught on.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The one thing that I have noticed thoughout the whole series is this, we have a younger guy that has done some MMA and another one that has played Pro football and has done high school wrestling. Let me tell you this in every episode where they have trained to fight one elite fighter in a real fight. All they have done is sparred and at a very lower level in my opinion.

This gives the average Joe the ideal that all these Mc Dojo's thta bragg about beconing fully trained in one year more fuel to the fire and makes quality Dojo's out there look like we do not know what we are doing when we tell people it takes a lifetime of training.

Even at my age I would love to really fight one of these two under some of there rules, I would fair great against them. I know I'm sounding cocky but this show is turning into a joke about what the true meaning of what the Arts stand for.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The one thing that I have noticed thoughout the whole series is this, we have a younger guy that has done some MMA and another one that has played Pro football and has done high school wrestling. Let me tell you this in every episode where they have trained to fight one elite fighter in a real fight. All they have done is sparred and at a very lower level in my opinion.

This gives the average Joe the ideal that all these Mc Dojo's thta bragg about beconing fully trained in one year more fuel to the fire and makes quality Dojo's out there look like we do not know what we are doing when we tell people it takes a lifetime of training.

Even at my age I would love to really fight one of these two under some of there rules, I would fair great against them. I know I'm sounding cocky but this show is turning into a joke about what the true meaning of what the Arts stand for.

Just my .02 cents worth.
I don't think you're sounding cocky at all. Of course, I think almost everyone here would like to put those two in their places :jediduel:

It is very irritating to see them go bang their shins one day on a palm tree and then all of a sudden they're ready to fight a professional Muay Thai fighter or ready to take on Israeli commandos.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys here is an interesting article I found on an art similar to krav maga but designed for street self defense not battle field self defense.

Krav Maga or Modern Ninjutsu? | Elevo DynamicsElevo Dynamics
Firstly welcome to MT. :wavey:
Having read the blurb I would suggest it was written by someone with very little knowledge of Krav and, from what my mate Chris Parker has posted, sounds very little like classical Ninjutsu. Krav like any RBSD system can be applied at different levels according to the threat. In the early stages it is taught in a way to remove any threat by explosive physical force. Once that is mastered we introduce other more refined techniques of control.

From the article we see ..

Krav Maga has one primary way to deal with these issues: violence of action. This is a cool method when you are faster, stronger, always alert and aware. But this can&#8217;t always be the case.

One Drawback To Krav Maga: Excessive Force
Krav Maga has caught some blow back in America because it was teaching people things that don&#8217;t work with our American Civil laws. Many of these techniques could land a person in prison or devastating litigation because of the excessive use of force. Some practitioners have since created a self-defense version that takes into account these laws. But it&#8217;s easy to imagine how tough this could be for an art created and designed to overwhelm the enemy on the battlefield.
Firstly one of my best Krav students is 5' 0" female dynamo. Physically she is no match for the men who are up to twice her weight and anything up to 16" taller. So to say you need great physical strength and speed for Krav is just not right.

Then we come to 'excessive force'. Sure that could be an issue but in a country where virtually anyone can pull a gun at any time in response to a perceived threat, reacting against that same threat with bare hands could hardly be called 'excessive'. Besides that, Krav in its origins was for use on the streets, not the battlefield so there are a number of factual elements that need clarification.

Anyway, the point is, this 'Modern Ninjutsu' seems to be suggesting that it is similar to, and better than, Krav as a reality based system and I see absolutely nothing there that would give me that confidence.
:asian:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Firstly welcome to MT. :wavey:
Having read the blurb I would suggest it was written by someone with very little knowledge of Krav and, from what my mate Chris Parker has posted, sounds very little like classical Ninjutsu. Krav like any RBSD system can be applied at different levels according to the threat. In the early stages it is taught in a way to remove any threat by explosive physical force. Once that is mastered we introduce other more refined techniques of control.

From the article we see ..

Firstly one of my best Krav students is 5' 0" female dynamo. Physically she is no match for the men who are up to twice her weight and anything up to 16" taller. So to say you need great physical strength and speed for Krav is just not right.

Then we come to 'excessive force'. Sure that could be an issue but in a country where virtually anyone can pull a gun at any time in response to a perceived threat, reacting against that same threat with bare hands could hardly be called 'excessive'. Besides that, Krav in its origins was for use on the streets, not the battlefield so there are a number of factual elements that need clarification.

Anyway, the point is, this 'Modern Ninjutsu' seems to be suggesting that it is similar to, and better than, Krav as a reality based system and I see absolutely nothing there that would give me that confidence.

Lol. The article is just using the street sport debate. And making it the street battlefield debate.

Good for me I think street sport is mostly bunk. Gonna be hard if you subscribe to the concept though.

Of course rule one is look at the video of the training.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YACiZo8D--0

They all seem to be dressed nice.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol. The article is just using the street sport debate. And making it the street battlefield debate.

Good for me I think street sport is mostly bunk. Gonna be hard if you subscribe to the concept though.
??? Sorry, I reread it but can't see what you are referring to. What do you mean?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
??? Sorry, I reread it but can't see what you are referring to. What do you mean?

That training for the street is different to training for the battlefield. And that there is some sort of magic component that makes one more suitable than the other.

Oh but our martial art is training for the Australian street. So it is more suitable than the american or Japanese systems.

Oh but Sydney well. We train for conditions in Melbourne.

All marketing really.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That training for the street is different to training for the battlefield. And that there is some sort of magic component that makes one more suitable than the other.

Oh but our martial art is training for the Australian street. So it is more suitable than the american or Japanese systems.

Oh but Sydney well. We train for conditions in Melbourne.

All marketing really.
I think I see where you are coming from. These guys have picked Krav, possibly the best of the self defence arts and said, "Yep, Krav is great but it is too violent. Our martial art is much better suited to a street system and to make it cool we'll call it 'Modern Ninjutsu', even though it's nothing to do with Ninjutsu".

Latest Discussions