Human remains in the landfill?!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...orce-dumped-remains-of-274-troops-in-landfill I have not read the whole article, the first couple of paragraphs had me wondering what those people were smoking! I detest the thought of a cat ot dog being thrown out with the garbage. I thought it was actually illegal to throw human remains out in this manner. NOW we add the little bit of insult to the unthinkable that these are the remains of servicemen, and the whole thing becomes incomprehensible.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it was a Warfare afflicte... Wait, THIS IS VIRGINIA. NOT BLOODY IRAQ.

All likenings aside, it really isnt fitting. I mean, do it IN a Warzone, and Id just say they were working with what they had. But dumping Cremated Unclaimed Corpses in Landfills in Virginia? Come on now, thats the best You can do? Theyd be better off being scattered off some random cliff.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always thought that was what a military cemetery was for... silly me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even amongst many shameful things that are going on in the world, to treat your own war-dead with such disdain is something that makes my hackles rise I have to confess. These people volunteered to serve and paid with their lives the bill for other peoples amibtions - the very least they deserve is a decent resting place.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading some of the comments it seems there's some confusion over what was dumped there? Was it the amputed parts of bodies or actual bodies?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reading some of the comments it seems there's some confusion over what was dumped there? Was it the amputed parts of bodies or actual bodies?

The article says "incinerated partial remains" which means when partial remains are returned, they are cremated. In standard cremation, the bones are then ground and added to the ash. They are likely stored in cardboard boxes or plastic baggies until claimed. The mortician who handled my mom a few years ago still had unclaimed remains on the shelf from when the family member before him ran the business. Legally (at least in Washington State), those remains must eventually be claimed, even if by an unacquainted descendent. I believe he would have to go through some serious proceedings to remove them from his facility. He is, after all, custodian of the remains at present.

A landfill. Staggering.

WHY would they not transfer custody to the VFW? WHY would they not allow the VA to take custody of the remains? There are so many other options here, the stupidity is horrifying.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It sounds like unidentifiable amputated parts. But it should not matter. If you know these are the remains of soldiers, you have a duty to at least dispose of the ashes properly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine this story will or at least should become a major news story, it didn't seem clear whether it was people who died or amputated limbs which were dumped. I imagine it's common hospital policy to dispose of the ash from hospital incinerators which will contain all surgical waste on places like landfill, however to identify human remains there must be more in there than just ash. Very disturbing on so many levels!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it depends.

If they are amputations from surgeries or recovered parts of surviving soldiers, that's one thing. If they are the only remains of deceased soldiers, it's another.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sadly well written news reports are a rarity these days. I find most of them confusing.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here`s a link to another story. It mentions that there were both patial remains, and remains of complete bodies that were too damaged to be identified with DNA testing. It also says that there were many cases where the remains were identified, and the families had given the military permission to inter the remains in "a respectful manner". This whole thing makes me extremely angry. Some people`s careers should end over this and if the law is applicable I`d like to see some crimminal charges brought.
http://news.yahoo.com/remains-274-us-troops-dumped-landfill-report-081234306.html

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
shucks, heads rolled over having families mourn over an empty coffin, when the real one was late or whatever....

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think everything is alright now. I heard on the news that the Air Force will apologize to any families of those whose body parts were dumped in the land fill. But only if they call the Air Force.

I don't know the specifics of what happened. It is sometimes acceptable when performing an autopsy to remove body parts for further examination. But forensic pathologists I have known, were very careful about preserving body parts because some religions require burial of all body parts, as well as it just being a desire of many family members. I don't know the protocol, but I think some hospitals incinerate left over tissue. But as far as I know, that would not be large amounts of tissue at any one time.

Without knowing more specifics, it is only obvious that this hasn't been handled properly, or there wouldn't be such controversy. If the news reports I mentioned in my first paragraph are correct, they still aren't doing well. A shame.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
My brothers and sisters are thrown away as garbage. Funny that when called upon to stand in harms way, these men and women valued their country enough to perish and then be discarded like so much detritus. A fine recompense. The disconnect is staggering.The whole matter is sickening.Mark

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is just disgusting. I can't believe somoene would be so insensitive, especially anyone having anything to do with the military in regards to this particular issue. To send a letter to a wife telling her that her husbands remains are now in a landfill and this helps her in her grief..just wow. How do you type such a thing without thiking to yourself, "Wait. This isn't a good idea."? Heads should roll over this.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
sorry for your loss, BTW, if you want to drop a wreath, just put it on the curb...

Somewhere along the line a few people have lost connection with reality.

Latest Discussions