how to find a quality dojang

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's cool. :)

When you say the place has trained people to fight UFC do you mean actually in the UFC or they fight MMA? If they have fought in the UFC who are they?

both UFC and MMA. Master Ricardo Murgel has an 8th degree black belt in BJJ. he trained UFC fighter Nathan Marquardt. all of the instructors are seasoned MMA fighters

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was in Duluth Georgia last week for work and was surprised that although my hotel was in a Korean area, I didn't see too many TKD schools. I checked out one, and couldn't understand the drill they were doing - a low push kick and kicking over the standing Century Versys bag.

As for your comment on fees, I am testing this week for black belt, and it's about US $320 for the test and kukkiwon certificate, and nothing else (no extra lessons, plaque, belt etc.). Cheap in comparison to some schools, but expensive compared to the KKW cost and testing time.

After black belt, I am thinking about doing a little muay thai, even if it's only for a few months, in order to get better kicking / punching combinations.

In brief, I can't help you, but I can relate!

well i wish you luck with your testing for black belt. 320$ is a lot of money, but maybe that's normal for a black belt. a little Muay Thai is a good idea... i haven't taken it yet but i will soon as it is one of the martial arts of the school i am looking at. TKD is a great martial art, it's just that the dojangs in my area are kiddie money machines, i think the problem may be that TKD is too popular idk.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not letting people try before they buy is a sign of a) poor long term business sense and b) lack of confidence in the product / something to hide, especially when that student has previous experience. I would keep looking, especially starting as a dan grade. I want to know what I am getting for my money. Surprising what heading for the door can get you.

That is why it's a good idea to speak with the owner / grandmaster face to face.

I've never heard of a school letting people train for free for a month. A week, maybe. Or letting people sign up for one month, no commitment, for a reduced price. But not many businesses will give away $100-ish worth of services for nothing to people who haven't committed to anything; that's a great way to get a bunch of freeloaders who want a month of free workouts and have no intention of ever signing up.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed...in my area the schools mostly seem to offer a small handful of trial classes for free (and in some schools wearing workout clothes is okay if you don't have a uniform during the free trial), and then some schools (like mine) will give you a deal on a one-month trial ($20, plus the cost of a uniform if you don't have one), but I don't know of any that will give an entire month for free.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've never heard of a school letting people train for free for a month. A week, maybe. Or letting people sign up for one month, no commitment, for a reduced price. But not many businesses will give away $100-ish worth of services for nothing to people who haven't committed to anything; that's a great way to get a bunch of freeloaders who want a month of free workouts and have no intention of ever signing up.

Or, they could take the 'losses' on the chin as they'll never see any money at all if the student decides to go elsewhere (which as a dan grade, I totally would).

Looking at that month of free services from a slightly different angle, that's a full month of opportunity to show that student how awesome your training is and why they want to stay. But that only works if your training is actually awesome ;). If it's done right, they will hammer your door down at the end of the month to sign up, and stay even without a long notice contract.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed...in my area the schools mostly seem to offer a small handful of trial classes for free (and in some schools wearing workout clothes is okay if you don't have a uniform during the free trial), and then some schools (like mine) will give you a deal on a one-month trial ($20, plus the cost of a uniform if you don't have one), but I don't know of any that will give an entire month for free.

You guys need to drive a harder bargain ;P or move to Europe, this could be a cultural thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our local JKD place has the train for a month free thing.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our local JKD place has the train for a month free thing.

Most of the places I know both in the UK and DE either do a trial period or let people buy a 10 lesson card if the trial is shorter. I actually prefer the card model, because of a perceived value phenomenon. People don't necessarily value what they don't pay anything for.

For those with prior experience in the art in question, I think the free trial works though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the places I know both in the UK and DE either do a trial period or let people buy a 10 lesson card if the trial is shorter. I actually prefer the card model, because of a perceived value phenomenon. People don't necessarily value what they don't pay anything for.

For those with prior experience in the art in question, I think the free trial works though.

They do very well, there's only them and us in the area so we recommend each other. My only beef with the instructor is that I've known him since he was five and it makes me feel old when I see him :), seriously though he is a very good instructor and martial artist, it's not a business though, he has his own sign writing business. His wife's car has amazing pictures of Bruce Lee all over it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought you'd like to see the car. the side is even better.

416228_10150674850996073_1462137336_o.jpg

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee is awesome, but sadly I think of A Fistful of Yen every time I see a picture of him.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

We offer one free lesson. But it's only $40 a month anyway, with no contracts. And scholarships available to reduce that cost.

We don't let students wear a dobak till they've learned Kicho Il Jang, which is generally a month or so, depending on the student. By the time they need a $20 dobak, they've had opportunity to decide if they want to stay in training. Minimal upfront costs.

For that matter, we've given away more than a few dobaks to students who simply couldn't afford one.

Or, they could take the 'losses' on the chin as they'll never see any money at all if the student decides to go elsewhere (which as a dan grade, I totally would).

Why would a Dan grade student need a month to decide if the training is any good?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Looking at that month of free services from a slightly different angle, that's a full month of opportunity to show that student how awesome your training is and why they want to stay. But that only works if your training is actually awesome ;). If it's done right, they will hammer your door down at the end of the month to sign up, and stay even without a long notice contract.

In my experience, a lot of people will take a free trial who have no intention of signing up for anything, just because it's free. While someone that's seriously interested will be willing to pay something, since they value what they're getting and are planning on paying for it at some point.

Latest Discussions