how to find a quality dojang

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love TKD it is my favorite martial art and I really don't want to switch to a different martial art but I feel like at some point I won't have much choice as EVERY SINGLE dojang I look at near where I live is the same old story, kiddie money machines. I mean i've looked at like 5 different dojangs, and the one I have been training at is the same. I'm one of the only adults and they try to put their hands in my pocket every time the opportunity presents itself. it's almost like TKD has been infected with some kind of virus... i look at other martial arts and it seems to be much less of a problem than with TKD, but TKD is the one i want! maybe i'll just stay with my current school despite all its problems idk... i have learned a lot from it and had some really good times... but like the Grandmaster disrespected me last week and i have an ego so i'm gonna have to exercise humility to even bow to him next time i see him as is customary. i guess I could take Muay Thai or something... Kickboxing maybe. i've just made progress in TKD and it'd be a shame to throw it all away now. i live in Alpharetta/Roswell/Johns Creek area which is about 45 min north of Atlanta, GA, on the off chance anyone on this site lives in this area or even if you don't live here know about a quality dojang with more than 3 adults that doesn't charge you 350$ for sparring gear please do let me know, thanks!

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, years ago I lived in Alpharetta for a while!

If you want Kukkiwon/WTF-style taekwondo, the Kukkiwon has a dojang-finder here: http://kms.kukkiwon.or.kr/usr/main.do

To find a dojang, keep clicking on the map to zoom into your area until you get a Google map that has local dojangs listed in your area. Keep in mind this only lists the dojangs that bother to register with the Kukkiwon. Here's one, for example that looks good: Yong In TMA Yong In TMA

There's also a big tournament coming up in your area next month. My son and I will probably be there: http://www.usyongintkd.com/doc/Program-Book-Final1.pdf

Personally, I would not pursue Tiger Rock taekwondo. It's such a niche style that if you were to ever relocate you'd never find another school doing the same style. Also, you'll never find any local tournaments to attend.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's some more info; all of these are registered with the Kukkiwon...
  • Yong In Tiger Martial Arts - John's Creek - Yong In TMA Yong In TMA - they have a Demo Team (which is nice) and real Olympic-style sparring (also nice). They have adult/family classes Monday-Friday. It looks like they also offer Judo twice a week? Their website is professional and informative, and they have an active Facebook page. Yongin Tiger Martial Arts - Johns Creek GA - School Facebook - It looks like most of the instructors are Korean. The head of the school is Kukkiwon 7th dan, which is also nice. This looks like a good choice.

• J.Y. Song Taekwondo - two schools in Douglasville and Burford - J.Y. Song - TaeKwonDo Atlanta - The head of the school is Kukkiwon 9th dan! He started at Chung Do Kwan. This is probably a good choice too. Their website is less informative.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's some more info; all of these are registered with the Kukkiwon...
  • Yong In Tiger Martial Arts - John's Creek - Yong In TMA Yong In TMA - they have a Demo Team (which is nice) and real Olympic-style sparring (also nice). They have adult/family classes Monday-Friday. It looks like they also offer Judo twice a week? Their website is professional and informative, and they have an active Facebook page. Yongin Tiger Martial Arts - Johns Creek GA - School Facebook - It looks like most of the instructors are Korean. The head of the school is Kukkiwon 7th dan, which is also nice. This looks like a good choice.

• J.Y. Song Taekwondo - two schools in Douglasville and Burford - J.Y. Song - TaeKwonDo Atlanta - The head of the school is Kukkiwon 9th dan! He started at Chung Do Kwan. This is probably a good choice too. Their website is less informative.

wow, you really did research... thank you so much!!! some of them are too far but three of them are options... i'll look into these schools. i don't know what to say man, i really appreciate the fact that you actually did research for me (since you live in Virginia that's what i'm guessing) hopefully at least one of these schools will be legit... peace bro

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey, years ago I lived in Alpharetta for a while!

If you want Kukkiwon/WTF-style taekwondo, the Kukkiwon has a dojang-finder here: K.M.S Unifying the world with Taekwondo We are the KUKKIWON family

To find a dojang, keep clicking on the map to zoom into your area until you get a Google map that has local dojangs listed in your area. Keep in mind this only lists the dojangs that bother to register with the Kukkiwon. Here's one, for example that looks good: Yong In TMA Yong In TMA

There's also a big tournament coming up in your area next month. My son and I will probably be there: http://www.usyongintkd.com/doc/Program-Book-Final1.pdf

Personally, I would not pursue Tiger Rock taekwondo. It's such a niche style that if you were to ever relocate you'd never find another school doing the same style. Also, you'll never find any local tournaments to attend.

oh ok i just saw this post, i will definitely use the dojang finder... thanks a bunch!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check your local park districts, community centers, JCC / YMCA. If they have clubs, there is no 24/7/365 overhead so they don't have to be as concerned with paying the bills.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Check your local park districts, community centers, JCC / YMCA. If they have clubs, there is no 24/7/365 overhead so they don't have to be as concerned with paying the bills.
cool thanks... couldn't find any... i've actually decided that i judged my dojang too harshly and i'm gonna stick with it

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
3 out of the 4 instructors at my current teachers are Korean, and my Grandmaster is 9th dan I think... but yeah thanks tho

I wouldn't be affected by rank as the deciding factor (to me, the "tho" in your message comes across as "thanks anyway, but I have a higher ranked instructor already"). I would say it depends on how up to date the instructor has kept. I'm lucky - my instructor is 8th Dan Kukkiwon and 9th Dan Changmookwan and is always going to Korea to do various courses and train with other dojangs, so he is absolutely up to date.

I have met others in my country that have for example never trained at the Kukkiwon, even though they have high dan, and they keep doing things exactly the same as they always have without trying to learn from the best instructors the world has to offer.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't be affected by rank as the deciding factor (to me, the "tho" in your message comes across as "thanks anyway, but I have a higher ranked instructor already"). I would say it depends on how up to date the instructor has kept. I'm lucky - my instructor is 8th Dan Kukkiwon and 9th Dan Changmookwan and is always going to Korea to do various courses and train with other dojangs, so he is absolutely up to date.

I have met others in my country that have for example never trained at the Kukkiwon, even though they have high dan, and they keep doing things exactly the same as they always have without trying to learn from the best instructors the world has to offer.

for me the deciding factor is that i get a great workout, most of the instructors are super nice, it is near my house (which may sound like a dumb factor but yeah), and simply of all the martial arts i have any experience in, TKD is my favorite for sure, and i searched around for a better TKD school in my area and was unable to find one... all the things i don't like about my dojang are also problems with the other dojangs in my area, but there are so many things i do like... they know i have asthma so they are always telling me to take a break whenever i need to, (which i always do at least once a class usually 2-3 times in the hour)

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...it is near my house (which may sound like a dumb factor but yeah)...

I don't think that's a dumb factor. I think a lot of people (myself included) will attend class a lot more often at a good school that's convenient than a great school that's not.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that's a dumb factor. I think a lot of people (myself included) will attend class a lot more often at a good school that's convenient than a great school that's not.

yeah when your whole body is tired from an hour of intense training a 45 minute drive can most definitely be a hassle

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He snapped at me... once for holding my nunchucks wrong and once for holding up my fists wrong

Instructors are human. If you search for the perfect human being as an instructor you will surely be disappointed. Keep in mind that Instructors can have bad days and be irritable due to other factors.

That being said I have been known to snap after making the same correction with the same student 42 times.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I mean i'd be hypocritical to look for the "perfect human being" as i am in no wise a perfect human being myself... i've snapped at people before. how often you snap is a factor. if you snap once in a while as you said making the same correction 42 times that's one thing, but if you snap every 5 minutes that's something else. there is one African American teenager in our class who i have seen my Grandmaster rag on for like 20 minutes straight on more than one occasion which makes me wonder if he is racist. there are three other instructors in my dojang, all three of which are very nice, patient, and understanding. they don't snap like ever

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
He snapped at me... once for holding my nunchucks wrong and once for holding up my fists wrong

Just curious, when you say "snapped"? Was he really angry? Strange, but none the less hopefully all will work out for you. Good luck figuring out what choices to make!

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just curious, when you say "snapped"? Was he really angry? Strange, but none the less hopefully all will work out for you. Good luck figuring out what choices to make!

yeah he gets pissed off *all the time* i'm starting to get tired of it in my opinion he needs an attitude adjustment, granted he trained military in hand to hand combat so he's probably mister Rogers to us compared to how he was with them... but still, yeah he gets pissed and oftentimes i can't understand what he's saying from his thick Korean accent and he's like "Why you no listen to me?" and i'm like cause i can't understand you! (I don't actually say that) the other night he was slapping people, not on the face but on the legs, because their stance was off, so he was slapping their legs while telling them off. i just don't agree with the philosophy of "get mad every time a student makes a mistake" but i'm gonna put up with him for now... he does have massive credentials, like on the wall of the dojang there are like 80 awards he won and much else besides. but yeah the other instructors are great. thanks for your well wishes!! :)

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yeah he gets pissed off *all the time* i'm starting to get tired of it in my opinion he needs an attitude adjustment, granted he trained military in hand to hand combat so he's probably mister Rogers to us compared to how he was with them... but still, yeah he gets pissed and oftentimes i can't understand what he's saying from his thick Korean accent and he's like "Why you no listen to me?" and i'm like cause i can't understand you! (I don't actually say that) the other night he was slapping people, not on the face but on the legs, because their stance was off, so he was slapping their legs while telling them off. i just don't agree with the philosophy of "get mad every time a student makes a mistake" but i'm gonna put up with him for now... he does have massive credentials, like on the wall of the dojang there are like 80 awards he won and much else besides. but yeah the other instructors are great. thanks for your well wishes!! :)
I would be lookin elsewhere my friend. Seems like your instructor lacks self control and people skills which nullifies his awards on the wall. If he hasn't got any tact in dealing with people and he wants you to buy all your equipment from him only and force gradings upon students, then he clearly is running a club that I would run from.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would be lookin elsewhere my friend. Seems like your instructor lacks self control and people skills which nullifies his awards on the wall. If he hasn't got any tact in dealing with people and he wants you to buy all your equipment from him only and force gradings upon students, then he clearly is running a club that I would run from.

you bring up some good points. i don't know what to do. i'm trying to find a dojang around here that is legit but they all have the same problems... perhaps minus the temperamental Grandmaster... but they all are the same old story, the things you mentioned are present in all of them. maybe i should switch to a different martial art... i like TKD a lot and am starting to make some progress in it. i really don't know what to do. i'll have to put some thought into it. thanks for the advice

Latest Discussions