How to escape a wrist lock

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
in this video I show how to use not a technique but body mechanics to fling your opponent away using only a little force.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if your opponent won't let go his grips?

Also to break apart a wrist lock is one thing. To take advantage on it is something else. How to take advantage on it?

In another thread, someone asked, "What's your finish move?"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your opponent grabs you, his tiger mouth is facing toward you, this will put him in disadvantage position. All you need to do is to rotate your right hand clockwise, rotate your left hand counter-clockwise. Since your both hands are inside and on top of his arms, you will have advantage. Also since you only need to deal with his thumb, it won't take you too much effort.

Your opponent's correct wrist grab should be to have his tiger mouth facing to himself.

correct_wrist_grab_1.jpg

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
What if your opponent won't let go his grips?

Also to break apart a wrist lock is one thing. To take advantage on it is something else. How to take advantage on it?

In another thread, someone asked, "What's your finish move?"
In oder to fling him away he must hold on if he let's go then it won't work.. if he let's go the I simply do something else..

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
When your opponent grabs you, his tiger mouth is facing toward you, this will put him in disadvantage position. All you need to do is to rotate your right hand clockwise, rotate your left hand counter-clockwise. Since your both hands are inside and on top of his arms, you will have advantage. Also since you only need to deal with his thumb, it won't take you too much effort.

Your opponent's correct wrist grab should be to have his tiger mouth facing to himself.

View attachment 27492
Yes you can do that its simple but the video about not so much the wrist grab but to use it to use a different skill set which is using your body internally instead of a simple hand techniques

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in this video I show how to use not a technique but body mechanics to fling your opponent away using only a little force.

That assumes they are grabbing and essentially pushing away. I’m having trouble coming up with many situations where that would be the case. Can you help me understand this?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
which is using your body internally instead of a simple hand techniques
What do you intend to achieve? In other words, what's your finish move?

You push your opponent away, he will come back. How many times do you want to repeat the same process?

In another forum, people try to put anti-Taiji label on me because I asked the same question.

I strongly believe one should keep his friend close but enemy closer.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You push your opponent away, he will come back. How many times do you want to repeat the same process?
Just my observation, but you seem to have a habit of saying "will" when "might" is probably a better choice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In another forum, people try to put anti-Taiji label on me because I asked the same question.

I strongly believe one should keep his friend close but enemy closer.
I can see a use for getting someone moving backwards: much easier to overwhelm with a flurry if they are in their heels.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Punch the person holding you directly in the face with your free hand. Hard.
We have heard this comment many times in the forum. If your opponent grab on your wrist, you use the other free hand to punch on his face.

What if your opponent use right hand to grab on your right wrist, and pull your right arm to your left to cause your body to rotate to your left? Your left punch will require your body to rotate to your right. But your opponent's pulling will make your body to rotate to the opposite direction. Of course you can borrow your opponent's pulling, and counter with a left spin back fist. But you have to expose your back to your opponent.

IMO, if your opponent cannot achieve this, he should not grab on your wrist in the first place.

Latest Discussions