How much did you pay for your martial arts website design

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What would you use joomla for?

And Jow ga, you have a typo on your front page. Times are chaning.
thanks. I thought I caught all of those spelling errors. Not good to have those types of errors on the front page. I really appreciate you pointing that out. I'll have to go over the website again to make sure I didn't miss anything else.

Joomla is a Content Management System. In short. It allows you to easily mange and update a website. All of your pages and articles that you create are stored in a database. Which means that you don't have to redo pages when you change the look of your website. If you want a website that doesn't require you to call the "web design guy" for simple updates or new pages, then something like Joomla will be your best choice. I use Joomla as an extension of the school / martial arts interest magazine. For example: This page has nothing to do with Jow Ga History's Female Warriors - Jow Ga Women embrace their warrior spirt but we do have quite a few female students so this would be something that would interest them and hopefully inspire them as they train. Things like this allow me to add value the students membership without making it difficult for me.

The worst part of a CMS is the setup and configuration for the plugins, or extensions. Sometimes the process is short but for features like online store and event registration, it can be a long process of setting stuff up. It's not difficult, just a lot of reading, and configuration. The more flexibility an extension or plugin has, the more I'll have to do. But once it's set up, then it's done, and it saves time.

I used to create websites from scratch using Dreamweaver and HTML. I'm so glad those days are behind me now. My wife still uses HTML coding for her website. What takes her 10 or more minutes to do literally only takes me 1 or 2 minutes if that. It's a big time saver when it comes to website management.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah, sorry. Yeah. I know what joomla is. Just curious how you use it. I have played around with drupal and Wordpress, but I use concrete5 to make my sites. Same kind of thing.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, sorry. Yeah. I know what joomla is. Just curious how you use it. I have played around with drupal and Wordpress, but I use concrete5 to make my sites. Same kind of thing.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. My brain is a little fried from my 4 hour Cisco class .

Joomla is a little different than Concrete 5. You can try an online demo of the back end of Joomla here. https://demo.joomla.org/ scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "Launch Test Drive." And you can follow the video below.
This is pretty much the basics and all that you do for most of the time when creating pages.

The work flow is more like this:
1. Create a website template.
Joomla template creators (there are more out there): Some are drag and drop creators that are similar to what Concrete 5 does.
Once you upload the template to your Joomla (most hosting companies have 1 click installs for Joomla), you set that template as default and then you start adding your content and wording.

2. Write an article /wording for a page, save it. Just like a word document, but Joomla will save the article in a database.

3. Set up Menu pointing to that article. This part is easy. Select where you want your menu. For example: Position -1 in the image below.Type name of menu link and choose the article/ content/ page that you want the menu link to

Joomla as places (module positions) where you can place various features. The default module positions for joomla look like this. You can place multiple features (modules) in the position.
corporation-modules2.png

I'll see if I can find a youtube video that gives more details.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got on my desktop computer and check to see if it resized as I browser window and it it didn't resize. Here's another way to test if your website is mobile friendly.
https://search.google.com/search-console/mobile-friendly

Hm, I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus which runs at 1920 x 1080 and is roughly about what people run their computer monitors at. It's about 2 years old and so I guess anything older than that there would be some rendering issues.

I used to be a huge code junkie. I taught myself Java when it was still version 1.1 and things like XHTML were the hottest technologies out there. I was having to deal with trying to get things to render the same in both I.E. and Netscape, haha. I even got my BS in Computer Science a few years ago. Now I barely touch a computer.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
None....Used Wix and edited one of their templates for my needs

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really long list.
I'll start with the quick answer. This links contains extensions that can be used to add features to Joomla. Joomla! Extensions Directory
Once on the page you can click on the areas that interest you to see the options available. Once you see something you like, I may be able to tell you more about it and how it would help your school or some other non-martial art plan that you have.

The biggest advantage of WordPress and Joomla is that they both allow you to easily manage website content and to increase the functionality of the website without having to know HTML5 or CSS3. Joomla and WordPress handles this for you. This means that more time can be spent on managing the website and adding content.

I really don't know where to start because there is so much that can be done. I recently updated my website and added new features.
www.jowgakfa.com
Here are the features that website has.
  • Animated Banner
  • Newsletter with statics (example, shows how many people opened my newsletters).
  • Advertising Banners
  • Tables and charts
  • Online store (not up and running yet)
  • Online Event Booking
  • FAQs
  • Media Library (image, video, audio)
  • Online Donation
  • Online Membership Subscription (so students can pay for classes online)
  • Services Booking (allows me to offer private classes. People pick a date and I show up).
  • Project Management System.(helps me keep organize with projects that I work on without schools)
It might not seem like a lot but these things are valuable for those who visit the website. I didn't need to know much HTML beyond posting a youtube link.

Here's an example of my FAQS, Free Trial Sign Up, Calendar and Location Map
Free Kung Fu Classes
Class Schedule. This is running off an excel table.
Jow Ga Kung Fu Georgia
This is a comparison chart that I made to compare Jow Ga kung fu with other Martial Art Systems /Schools in our area. It's not a Bar Chart and I think people will find it useful. The charts were make so that people can find a Martial Arts that fits what they are most interested in.
Martial Arts Comparison Charts
I'll second the concept JGW is speaking to here. I use WordPress (quite similar to Joomla, in many ways, which I used to use). The ability to add functionality by simply installing a plugin and setting up a few things is like magic. Things like adding a contact form (instead of posting your email address, which brings lots of spam) become quite simple. It can take a bit of getting used to if you are used to working from scratch (I used to hand-code in HTML using Hot Dog back in the 1990's), but once you get used to the paradigm, it's really nice. And then you can create other users, who can have different levels of authority (post, edit, etc.). I even have the ability to post an announcement by sending an email to a prearranged address, so I can post a cancellation from anywhere, if need be. The ability to (relatively) easily add a members-only area and such is very nice.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your theme isn't mobile friendly. Does it affect how many people contact you through the website?
I turned off the mobile version because of a bug that kept a box for leaving comments on the mobile version even though I took that off of the desktop version. I kept the contact options limited to phone calls because the people running the front desk won't keep up with online contact attempts and I didn't want that responsibility. I help teach and I built the website because we needed one, but I don't have the time to be a salesman.

The desktop theme isn't perfect for mobile, but I can read everything on my phone without difficulty.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turned off the mobile version because of a bug that kept a box for leaving comments on the mobile version even though I took that off of the desktop version. I kept the contact options limited to phone calls because the people running the front desk won't keep up with online contact attempts and I didn't want that responsibility. I help teach and I built the website because we needed one, but I don't have the time to be a salesman.

The desktop theme isn't perfect for mobile, but I can read everything on my phone without difficulty.
That's an odd bug. Has it recurred after updates (to the theme, any relevant plugins, and the CMS)? Did it occur with other themes? Sorry, my system testing persona shows up when bugs appear.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I turned off the mobile version because of a bug that kept a box for leaving comments on the mobile version even though I took that off of the desktop version...

This is the issue with a CMS. It's great to just plug in a feature without working through how to code it until there's a bug and then you'd better be good at PHP.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's an odd bug. Has it recurred after updates (to the theme, any relevant plugins, and the CMS)? Did it occur with other themes? Sorry, my system testing persona shows up when bugs appear.
I'm using free hosting on WordPress.com, so I don't have access to most of that. I can't remember if I tried switching themes back and forth to see if the reset fixes the issue. I might try that when I get a chance.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the issue with a CMS. It's great to just plug in a feature without working through how to code it until there's a bug and then you'd better be good at PHP.
Or good at working out bugs. I've worked out a lot of bugs in my time, and most were with software I couldn't code around (client installs, etc.).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using free hosting on WordPress.com, so I don't have access to most of that. I can't remember if I tried switching themes back and forth to see if the reset fixes the issue. I might try that when I get a chance.
I think WordPress.com forces all updates automatically, so if that site has been up more than a couple of months, there has been a WP core update since then, and possibly an update to the theme (many themes get an update shortly after WP core). If you are using any plugins (not sure what you have access to on WP.com), it would be worth making sure you have deactivated any that you aren't actually using. Even the best sometimes have conflicts with each other that cause wonky results.

If you ever run into a problem you need a hand with, Tony, give me a holler. I'm not an expert at WP, but I have a fair amount of experience with it and I am an expert at testing and debugging systems.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think WordPress.com forces all updates automatically, so if that site has been up more than a couple of months, there has been a WP core update since then, and possibly an update to the theme (many themes get an update shortly after WP core). If you are using any plugins (not sure what you have access to on WP.com), it would be worth making sure you have deactivated any that you aren't actually using. Even the best sometimes have conflicts with each other that cause wonky results.

If you ever run into a problem you need a hand with, Tony, give me a holler. I'm not an expert at WP, but I have a fair amount of experience with it and I am an expert at testing and debugging systems.
Thanks!

The site's been up for a bit over 3 years, so I'm sure there have been multiple automatic updates. The active plugins seem to be automatically included - I don't see a way to turn off the ones I'm not using. If I find the time and motivation at some point I may try messing with the themes a bit to see if I can get the mobile theme working correctly. If I have trouble at that point I'll give you a shout to see if you have any ideas.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yes you definitely have to have a salesman on answer the emails. I have that responsibility at my school and I have 3 other people that I need to reach back out to, in an effort to at least get them to try a free class. These are people who have expressed interest but never followed through. The martial arts instructor in me says let them be. The business side of me says reach back out to them. So I guess that's what I'll be doing today. Emailing that sales-pitch

Thanks!

The site's been up for a bit over 3 years, so I'm sure there have been multiple automatic updates. The active plugins seem to be automatically included - I don't see a way to turn off the ones I'm not using. If I find the time and motivation at some point I may try messing with the themes a bit to see if I can get the mobile theme working correctly. If I have trouble at that point I'll give you a shout to see if you have any ideas.
I was just about to say make sure the plugin that's causing the problem has been updated. Sometimes the plugins need to be updated after the WordPress core system. For me in Joomla, I usually let the vendor of the extension fix the problem if the extension update doesn't work. If it's a bug on their end then they will fix it for free and send out a new update for the extension.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hm, I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus which runs at 1920 x 1080 and is roughly about what people run their computer monitors at. It's about 2 years old and so I guess anything older than that there would be some rendering issues.

I used to be a huge code junkie. I taught myself Java when it was still version 1.1 and things like XHTML were the hottest technologies out there. I was having to deal with trying to get things to render the same in both I.E. and Netscape, haha. I even got my BS in Computer Science a few years ago. Now I barely touch a computer.
Google changed how their search engine works. They place a higher ranking priority on websites that are mobile friendly. If a website isn't mobile friendly then it will go towards the back of the line in ranking when someone search from a mobile device. Article below
Make sure your site's ready for mobile-friendly Google search results
Make sure your site's ready for mobile-friendly Google search results - AdSense Help
If that Google link says the website isn't mobile friendly then to Google it's not mobile friendly.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did build and run an eCommerce business on Joomla years back. It was tough to get set up, but worked great when it was, unless something went wrong and then I found it difficult without a better grasp of php. I have a professional coding background, but more so with databases and middle ware than front end applications and I didn't know any php when I started that.

Because I coded my site myself and stuck to HTML/CSS, I have no trouble supporting the content and changing the layout myself. HTML5/CSS3 was a great step forward in enabling responsive design.

What I do with a CMS may be slightly different than some of you, because I don't run a particularly commercial school. I could collect payment that way, but I don't feel like that is so important. Would I would do, however, is give a login to everyone when they joined and have content sections for them that wasn't public. Then instead of emailing with each other and then having that information lost for next time and people who haven't started yet would have missed it entirely, it would be essentially referable material, on our system, lessons we've learned, calendar, whatever.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did build and run an eCommerce business on Joomla years back. It was tough to get set up, but worked great when it was, unless something went wrong and then I found it difficult without a better grasp of php. I have a professional coding background, but more so with databases and middle ware than front end applications and I didn't know any php when I started that.

Because I coded my site myself and stuck to HTML/CSS, I have no trouble supporting the content and changing the layout myself. HTML5/CSS3 was a great step forward in enabling responsive design.

What I do with a CMS may be slightly different than some of you, because I don't run a particularly commercial school. I could collect payment that way, but I don't feel like that is so important. Would I would do, however, is give a login to everyone when they joined and have content sections for them that wasn't public. Then instead of emailing with each other and then having that information lost for next time and people who haven't started yet would have missed it entirely, it would be essentially referable material, on our system, lessons we've learned, calendar, whatever.
My inner business child is screaming at you lol. "I don't feel like that is so important" for business the correct statement would be "The customers don't feel like that is so important." but back to your point. I do the same. I have 2 members area. The first member's area is for people who aren't students but have registered on the website. I provide them with information such as tips, news and interests related to martial arts (currently writing). The other member's area is for students only. They have access to links and materials and resources that only students can see. I want to set up my email so that new students will get old newsletter releases, but I need to read up on how to configure that in my newsletter feature (I've been lazy to do so).

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My inner business child is screaming at you lol. "I don't feel like that is so important" for business the correct statement would be "The customers don't feel like that is so important." ...

Valid feedback.

However, in this context, I am a sifu first and a business person last. I am not doing "sales". There's a bit of balance that I sometimes find and sometimes struggle with to be visible to someone who is looking for what I have, because obviously a teacher needs students, but I don't need or want that many and I try to keep the money out of the way as much as possible. My students have never expressed a desire to pay with a credit card or on-line. I think my business model is simple enough that it's not important to either me or them. If I ran a different kind of a school, I get that it would be.

The private members areas...on 2 different levels...yeah man. That would be a huge benefit to me and my students and we would make great use of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just about to say make sure the plugin that's causing the problem has been updated. Sometimes the plugins need to be updated after the WordPress core system. For me in Joomla, I usually let the vendor of the extension fix the problem if the extension update doesn't work. If it's a bug on their end then they will fix it for free and send out a new update for the extension.
Sites hosted on WP.com don't have as much admin control - WP.com updates everything as updates are available, I think. I'm not sure Tony can even see what plugins are being used without digging.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like the control that concrete5 offers. I've,found that it's a good compromise between lack of control with a sit builder like Wordpress and coding from scratch.

Latest Discussions