How silly are the Olympics...pretty darn silly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whooo-hoooo!!!! Andy Murray Olympic Champion - sounds pretty darned great to me. Amazing performance, absolutely astounding to take Federer so convincingly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18907001

Cooking with gas!

I was watching the women's boxing, all excellent bouts, good standard of boxing, the women have done themselves proud. On the cycling now.

In between bouts I've been reading my Sunday paper...The Independent on Sunday. All figures from there.

Budget for staging the Games £9.3bn Predicted total economic boost over the next four years £13bn. Not bad eh, so much for those non Brits who think our tax payers have been badly done by lol.

Global television audience for Opening Ceremony 1bn.

record number of journeys on London Underground 4.31m
extra visitors to here 4.6m

As I said, people, the UK is cooking on gas... :ultracool

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...way to ruin the moment...

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/t...aints-golden-slam-with-crip-walk-dance-080412

Then the 30-year-old who will end her career as one of the greatest tennis players of all time did something that could be interpreted two ways: As a stupid and insensitive celebration that dampened the crowning moment, or as a joy-filled nod to her roots.
The woman who grew up in Compton did the Crip Walk.
For the uninitiated, the Crip Walk is a funky little hip-hop dance move made famous by Crip gang members in Compton in the 1970s.
And there was Serena — the tennis legend, the winner of 14 individual Grand Slams, the best player of her generation, the American girl being crowned at the All-England Club as the queen of tennis — Crip-Walking all over the most lily-white place in the world.
She didn’t do it on purpose. It was a moment of unbridled joy. She pumped her fist, jumped up and down, looked into the crowd, then did her ill-timed dance.
You couldn’t help but shake your head. It was as if Serena just couldn’t seem to avoid dipping into waters of controversy even as she’d ascended to the top of her sport.

From wikipedia...

The Crips are one of the largest and most violent associations of street gangs in the United States,[SUP][1][/SUP]with an estimated 30,000 to 35,000 members. The gang is known to be involved in murders, robberies, and drug dealing, among many other criminal pursuits. The gang is known for its gang members' use of the color blue in their clothing. However, this practice has waned due to police crackdowns on gang members.

and here is Mark Levin, Constitutional lawyer, head of the LandMark legal foundation and radio host on the topic...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Americans are appreciating Galen Rupp's silver medal in the 10,000m yesterday? It is a massive achievement to beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians in long distance racing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another reason the Olympics aren't silly is the solid role models they provide, this picture and campaign is gaining momentum here now, I'm sure every country has it's own Jess Ennis they can use.

313598_452511311448874_962524207_n.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and remember that Daily Fail criticism of Opening ceremony, you know the rascist one.....?

526569_10151085330549887_93721822_n.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a wonderful few seconds, wasn't it!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I WANT ONE!

_62156173_mincar_getty.jpg

The mini Minis that have been speeding up and down the athletics field have intrigued many readers. The little cars, powered by a remote control, deliver the javelins, hammers and discuses that athletes have thrown on to the grass back to the event officials. The controls are simple - just forward, back, left and right and its cargo is loaded into the car through the sunroof. The minis take 80 minutes to charge and can run for 35 minutes without running out of power. They have a remote control range of 100m.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Nothin' silly about this:
$2012-08-10T203704Z_2069814781_LM2E88A1L9KOF_RTRMADP_3_OLY-ATHL-ATW4X1-DAY14-ATW401101.jpg

That's the way it should be counted!

But the U.S. is dominating these Olympics in total medals (though some are for "silly" events). Nothing silly about that!

View attachment $532967_432748476764555_297365786_n.jpg
Well, that was maybe a little silly. Silly me! :lfao:

And, watching, I have to admit that the British crowds-with their very loud cheering, and Union Jacks everywhere, are remarkably emotional and enthusiastic. It also seems as though, so far, the Olympics have proven to be quite profitable for London, and a really well produced and smoothly run entertainment from the opening ceremonies, and, hopefully, to the close. Well done!-and thank you!

$crowd.jpg
No empty seats. Nothing silly about that at all!

Last edited:
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, to end the Olympic silliness on a silly note, we have First Lady Michelle Obama chiding the Olympic gold medal winner for celebrating her victory with an egg Mcmuffin. Now this girl has suffered and sacrificed to achieve what she has, and what she has accomplished is not easy. Gymnastics at her level is brutal and requires years of self-sacrifice to achieve...and then FLOTUS has to scold the young girl for one indulgence in a lifetime of sacrifice...Niceeee...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/08/14/Michelle-O-Chides-Olympian-Gabby-For-Egg-McMuffin

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Well, to end the Olympic silliness on a silly note, we have First Lady Michelle Obama chiding the Olympic gold medal winner for celebrating her victory with an egg Mcmuffin. Now this girl has suffered and sacrificed to achieve what she has, and what she has accomplished is not easy. Gymnastics at her level is brutal and requires years of self-sacrifice to achieve...and then FLOTUS has to scold the young girl for one indulgence in a lifetime of sacrifice...Niceeee...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/08/14/Michelle-O-Chides-Olympian-Gabby-For-Egg-McMuffin

Yeah, first lady or not, national tv or not, teenager or not, I was wishing she'd tell her to have a nice warm cup of STFU-though I think Michelle was trying to be teasing, it came of kinda flat......and silly! :lfao:

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isn't silly, I can respect this guy...This is about an olympian, but if it qualifies for being in the study instead, please move it over...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/08/15/Usain-Bolt-wont-run

he fastest man in the world says he won’t race in Britain until the tax laws are changed. Usain Bolt, who won three gold medals in the London Olympic Games racing in the 100 m, 200m and 4x100m relay, says the taxes on global sponsorship, endorsement earnings and appearance fees are too high and he’s staying until they’re lowered.

The tax structure imposed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in Great Britain has three levels; those who make less than 34,370£ ($53, 961) yearly pay 20%; those who make between 34,370 and 150,000£ ($235,500) pay 40%, and those who make more than 150,000£ yearly pay a whopping 50% of their earnings to taxes.
Bolt, who makes an estimated £12.7 million ($20 million) a year, was adamant but polite in forcing the issue: “As soon as the law changes I'll be here all the time. I love being here, I have so many Jamaican fans here and it's wonderful."
Bolt had threatened not to run in the Olympics unless the government gave tax amnesty for competitors, which they did. He had skipped the 2010 Aviva London Grand Prix for the same reason, running in Paris instead, for which he was paid $250,000.
Bolt is not alone in confronting the British government over their stiff taxes; tennis great Rafael Nadal decided against competing in this year’s Aegon Championship at Queen's Club and went to the Gerry Weber Open at Halle in Germany, where he was supposedly paid £750,000. When questioned about his decision, Nadal stated:
“The truth is, in the UK you have a big regime for tax, it's not about the money for playing. They [HMRC] take from the sponsors, from Babolat, from Nike and from my watches. This is very difficult. I am playing in the UK and losing money. I did a lot more for the last four years, but it is more and more difficult to play in the UK."

However, this is really silly, tax amnesty for athletes but not for people who work just as hard, everyday, at real jobs...

Bolt had threatened not to run in the Olympics unless the government gave tax amnesty for competitors,

Latest Discussions