How much of what you learn can you actually use in a real fight?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transparent belt (doesn't have any color yet).

I thought it was the seat belt. Of course, getting in a car might be the first step to actually entering a school, so maybe not.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was the seat belt. Of course, getting in a car might be the first step to actually entering a school, so maybe not.
Nah he probably thinks the instructor should pay for his petrol

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kehcorpz ...I noticed that you stopped posting here back about August 12th and thought you had left us. Then blam! yesterday you came back and started four new threads, plus thee more posts. Such productivity!

So where are you training these days? At Sensei Utubo's? ...Sifu Yiu tiu-bu? ...Sabunim Vi-deoh...Or someone new? Like Master Han perhaps? You know, Han La-in? ;)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Everything I know can be used in a fight (my style looks like a taekwondo-kickboxing thing going on with a healthy dose of BJJ). But really, fighting on the street becomes a secondary thing to most martial artists. Why do the shaolin monks practice all these forms and acrobatics? Because fighting is only secondary to their meditation that occurs through movement.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But really, fighting on the street becomes a secondary thing to most martial artists.
Considering what you've said about what you practice so far, I hope you realize this is true for your gym/style as well?

I don't recall you ever stating that you learned anything about weapon/knife defense, and have doubts if it is an MMA place that you practice in different situations such as at night or in an alleyway or against multiple people for instance (I'm not suggesting you need to, but if fighting in the street was the primary objective I would hope these things are involved).

Why do the shaolin monks practice all these forms and acrobatics? Because fighting is only secondary to their meditation that occurs through movement.
I'm not even going to touch this one...

Last edited:

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering what you've said about what you practice so far, I hope you realize that it is true for your gym/style as well?

GYM: That depends on the person training.
STYLE: Depends on what I prioritise. I like learning and like martial arts. Kinda like something like biology: it's fun to learn, I don't really intend to use it and it likely will never be used, but it doesn't mean I can't.
I don't recall you ever stating that you learned anything about weapon/knife defense said:
I would consider it sport oriented. Are you implying what I've gathered is useless?

I'm not even going to touch this one...[/QUOTE said:
So what I can do doesn't work at all?

Also the last bit of my comment I admit was cheesy as hell, but it's just a point of martial arts not just being for self defence.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
GYM: That depends on the person training.
STYLE: Depends on what I prioritise. I like learning and like martial arts. Kinda like something like biology: it's fun to learn, I don't really intend to use it and it likely will never be used, but it doesn't mean I can't.
You may want to fix you formatting a bit, was a bit confusing cause the quotes got messed up.

I wasn't implying it was useless, just that your post read like you were under the assumption that what you practice does not view fighting on the street as secondary. It's absolutely useful and probably effective, it just has its own flaws that you should be aware of.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe that might show posters another possible side of things. Or maybe not. Perhaps there are also reasons why people lose patience with others. Possibly not the place to ask and but I will ask anyway because I am interested because the tenor of your reply deviates from the others.. why is it you care over the response to kehcorpz on here? x

Jenna,

I think he was taking the high road which gets to be difficult with kencorpz. He can be quite exasperating at times. He has been asked if there is something going on that might help us understand his silly or insulting questions, or why he never visits any schools. I have not seen him reply to those inquiries. There may indeed be something he considers embarrassing. But I would hope he would by now have realized most people here at MT can be pretty compassionate, and more importantly, helpful when they know where help is needed. He could even PM any one he thought he might be comfortable with. Of course for all I know, he may already have.

I do hope his stay here at MT does him some good.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
All of it, now go look up some TKD videos so I can have some fun.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can do some stuff. Some of my stuff is better than my other stuff. There's some stuff I'm working on too, that will hopefully be as good as my present good stuff. There's a lot of stuff. And I'm just one person. Stuff that works for me might not work for someone else, and vice versa.

You find the good stuff by training. Go find the stuff.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda like something like biology: it's fun to learn, I don't really intend to use it and it likely will never be used, but it doesn't mean I can't.

Oh I think you are going to be in for a surprise if you think you won't use biology, I thinking too that you really will want to use it at some time! You might want to have a look at what biology actually is, it's the study of life and living organisms something very relevant to humans.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jenna,

I think he was taking the high road which gets to be difficult with kencorpz. He can be quite exasperating at times. He has been asked if there is something going on that might help us understand his silly or insulting questions, or why he never visits any schools. I have not seen him reply to those inquiries. There may indeed be something he considers embarrassing. But I would hope he would by now have realized most people here at MT can be pretty compassionate, and more importantly, helpful when they know where help is needed. He could even PM any one he thought he might be comfortable with. Of course for all I know, he may already have.

I think you have it right OTH1.. :) x

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across something today which I think would be good advice for the OP, thought of him when I read it.

"We must sometimes permit ourselves to begin things badly, just so that we begin them. Those who spend too much time preparing graceful entrances often never get to make them. "
–Rabbi Shraga Silverstein, A Candle by Day

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Jenna,

@Jenna @ShawnP and @oftheherd1 , in reference to this particular poster, I've seen some sincere responses. But it seems that there is far more often a consistent stream of derision and ridicule that is not compassionate, helpful nor friendly. It sets a bad tone, particularly when leadership on the site chooses to participate.

There are people here who seem very frustrated by the OP. But wouldn't it be better to just ignore the thread, rather than go from one to the next, posting the same, negative, unconstructive rants?