How much Cardio do you need to be a decent martial artist?

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I have spent maybe up to 10 hours doing cardio exercises in my life. Is this going to be a problem? I'm not stupid I know I'm gonna need decent cardio if I want to compete in tournaments, but how much do you need as a baseline to not get smoked by 8 year olds?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At this point, don't worry about the end goal. Just get started doing a reasonable amount of cardio to get your heart and lungs in shape.

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
At this point, don't worry about the end goal. Just get started doing a reasonable amount of cardio to get your heart and lungs in shape.
I get winded when I open up the fridge too fast, what amount is reasonable?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Parzival.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get winded when I open up the fridge too fast, what amount is reasonable?
five mins is more than enough, run as far as you can in five mins, then run further tomorow etc, when you can break a mile in that time, your reasonably fit, then you can start running the mile back

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
five mins is more than enough, run as far as you can in five mins, then run further tomorow etc, when you can break a mile in that time, your reasonably fit, then you can start running the mile back

Thanks brah, I'll use this but how do I maximize gains? Should I do the run after lifting, or does that ruin the cardio?

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do a 15 to 20 min run before lifting and do a 10 to 20 minute exercise bike after lifting then a good stretch

OP
Parzival

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do a 15 to 20 min run before lifting and do a 10 to 20 minute exercise bike after lifting then a good stretch
I always stretch before my workout, what's the thought behind stretching after?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
every time your stood somewhere for more than 30secs, stretch, stood in a queue stretch, waiting for a taxi, stretch waiting for the kettle to boil, stretch

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Stretching after a workout can reduce muscle fatigue as well as help your muscles to recover faster after a hard gym session. Stretching is also a great way to improve flexibility and range of motion.

Latest Discussions