How Much Are You Worth?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, this isn't a dig into your personal finances to reveal information that should be kept secret... but more of a self-question that folks ask themselves but figure their personal value to be lower than it actually is.
This article explains...
Count your 'human capital' as an asset; watch your net worth skyrocket
You may be a lot wealthier than you think. Most people look at their 401(k) or other retirement plan, add in the value of other assets — their home, other investments, savings, etc. — then subtract their debt to get their net worth. After the housing-market bust and the bear-market rout of recent years, that number may look painfully small.
But what's the value of you? That is, how much are your future paychecks worth? That number is your "human capital" — and some experts say it should be a key part of your overall financial planning.Human capital "is anything that's going to generate a cash flow that isn't your investments," said Moshe Milevsky, a professor of finance at York University in Toronto.
"It's your ability to work, your ability to get a bonus, to get overtime. It's a gold mine and an oil well, but you're producing the gold and the oil," he said. "It's millions of dollars when you're in your 20s."

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/112608/human-capital-
net-worth?mod=fidelity-changingjobs&cat=fidelity_2010_changing_jobs
At my age my potential net earnings might not be as much but it all depends upon how fortune favors me in the next couple of years. I've had a lot of strikes against me going through life, had a lot of hard times and a lot of miserable experiences... but in spite of the negative crap that I've gone through, I still can see my own worth to people... the ones who care and honestly like me.
Just too bad can't translate that into dollars so I can get out of this rut that I'm in. :uhyeah: As a consumer... heh... not a whole lot.

How about you?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow... the story wasn't nearly as interesting as the comments. Holy moly. They opened up a can of worms with that one.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer Kiyosaki's definition of "rich."

If you quit work today, how long could you live before you had to return to work? That's the measure of your (fiscal) wealth.

We retire when we're "rich" enough to quit work and never look back.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer Kiyosaki's definition of "rich."

If you quit work today, how long could you live before you had to return to work? That's the measure of your (fiscal) wealth.

We retire when we're "rich" enough to quit work and never look back.
For what it's worth, Robert Kiyosaki's book, "Cash Flow Quadrant" is a 'must read' if you do want to be free to pursue personal goals. The principles he promotes have worked well for me in my retirement. :asian:

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you turned me into compost you might have enough nutrients to grow a lemon tree for a few years. Guess I'm worth a 3 year old Lemon tree, anyone know what they go for?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you turned me into compost you might have enough nutrients to grow a lemon tree for a few years. Guess I'm worth a 3 year old Lemon tree, anyone know what they go for?
Would you like that in $US or $AU?
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions