HOW did you start and/or run your school?

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I basically ran the classes the way my instructor ran the classes. I spent about a year teaching his Saturday classes before going on my own.

Absolutely. Later on, I did pick up a partner who was great with the books, but then he left after about a year to open his own real estate buisness.
Were you able to pick up another partner after he left?

fnorfurfoot said:
$330 a month was my starting rent. It was cheap enough but the location was pretty lousy.
If you had to do this over, what would you have done differently?

fnorfurtoot said:
The only time slots that I have at the Y are Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons. I run privates whenever I can fit them in and I run weapon clinics every other month. I try to offer extras beyond what the Y give me so that the students who are really interested are always exposed to something new. Last summer, I offered my own summer camp at a local campground. The owner's grandson is a student of mine. I'm planning of doing that again this year. Basically, I try and do as much as I can to give the students a "dojo" feel to my classes. It is being rumored that the Y will be expanding in the next year and adding another aerobic room. If that is true, then I will be able to expand my schedule. We'll see how that goes.

Sounds like you did really great with what you have available to you. Does the Y charge you extra for running privates and clinics, or is that a benefit, a perk, because you already teach there?

I'm glad that you are offering a variety. This should allow a way to combat teaching burn-out. Do you ever experience burn out, or are you enjoying it so much that burn out is a non-issue at this point?

Thank you for your feedback!

- Ceicei

SifuPhil

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I assume that your students do not live with you though. Did you inherit your place through family or through your instructor?
No, I think if they lived with me we'd all be at each others throats!

I inherited the loft through my instructor - he was sort of a father-figure to me when I started training with him (right after my father passed) and I guess he wanted to give me a step up.

How did adding on to your facility hurt your school? Was it "over-extending your budget" that made this a mistake, or was it just that things and decor changed the training environment too much?
Silly things like an indoor pond / mini-waterfall; an elaborate Taoist altar; all the latest bells and whistles in gear and weapons; created a lending library for my students, which of course justified getting 300 or so extra books on top of the 600 I already had. :idunno:

It wasn't a drain on the training environment so much as a foolish move business-wise. I will say that it was probably the best equipped studio in NYC. Where else could you finish your workout and have a hot-tub soak or a tanning session??? That served to bring in the merely curious, whom I could then usually convert to addicted players. :>)

I should have put that money into an account for lean times. Instead I had to hustle private lessons and do tutoring at school when the crunch came.

But I've never been a great business person - only a mediocre taijiquan teacher.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I think if they lived with me we'd all be at each others throats!

I inherited the loft through my instructor - he was sort of a father-figure to me when I started training with him (right after my father passed) and I guess he wanted to give me a step up.
It is really neat that he felt he trained you well enough to trust you with the place.
SifuPhil said:
Silly things like an indoor pond / mini-waterfall; an elaborate Taoist altar; all the latest bells and whistles in gear and weapons; created a lending library for my students, which of course justified getting 300 or so extra books on top of the 600 I already had. :idunno:

It wasn't a drain on the training environment so much as a foolish move business-wise. I will say that it was probably the best equipped studio in NYC. Where else could you finish your workout and have a hot-tub soak or a tanning session??? That served to bring in the merely curious, whom I could then usually convert to addicted players. :>)

I should have put that money into an account for lean times. Instead I had to hustle private lessons and do tutoring at school when the crunch came.

But I've never been a great business person - only a mediocre taijiquan teacher.
That is quite a set up! What did your instructor think of all the additions you made to the place? Are you still teaching there?

- Ceicei

SifuPhil

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is really neat that he felt he trained you well enough to trust you with the place.
I guess he was sort of the Chinatown equivalent to Donald Trump - he had quite a few properties, and wanted me simply to act as overseer for that particular one. As you might imagine, I had no problem with that.

That is quite a set up! What did your instructor think of all the additions you made to the place? Are you still teaching there?
He laughed whenever I made one of my "improvements" - said I was "pouring chocolate syrup over cheesecake". :idunno: LOL

No, it's been many years and many miles since I was there.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your responses, both here and elsewhere (other boards), by email, and private messages.

To answer some questions how I relate with my old school, my former instructors and I are still very good friends. They have asked me to liquidate some inventory from the two closed studios.

Because of the things you've shared with me, I've received many ideas of possible options. I have narrowed down to five different options. One of them, as suggested by a few, is to defer the decision to be a school owner for a more opportune time in the future. I am not in a hurry to be one, hence the reason for my extensive research.

I've had some ask me about my business skills. That is a good question and a valid one. Here is a brief summary of some skills I have which may be transferable.

For two small organizations, I was on a committee creating and finalizing the articles of incorporation and bylaws, as well as working directly with business and tax lawyers making sure we were in compliance with city, county, state, and federal requirements. I have been a president of a seven-member executive board of 501(c)3 non-profit organization for six years, responsible for the overall operation, both with the selection of personnel and handling of financial matters. I also was the chair of a large state-wide convention handling several thousand dollars worth of transactions and setting up events and activities. I also am a partner with my husband running his computer business for more than 10 years and prepared the business taxes.

However, I know that running a school as an owner is an entirely different animal.

Another valid question some asked was about my teaching abilities. I was a high school teacher and a college instructor for about 10 years, so I do use different teaching strategies. I also currently work (as a profession) with people who have physical and mental disabilities. Notwithstanding my teaching experience elsewhere, My Kenpo teaching is limited. I taught other students throughout my Kenpo years (I've trained at six different studios), so I am cognizant of the variety of expectations how head instructors run their classes.

I continue to work on refining myself and increasing my understanding of Kenpo. I am also aware that there are others who do not consider me experienced enough to be a Kenpo instructor. I am a brown belt working towards my black belt and I do not feel I am ready to be an instructor. My plan was that if I set up a school, I want to hire some instructors to teach there until I become of a skill level sufficient to teach Kenpo well.

I appreciate all your suggestions, ideas, advice, and warnings; I learned much and have a better view now of the challenges faced by the instructors and owners of martial arts.

I will consider which options I have available to me, determine which will fit my situation, and go from there.

Please continue to give feedback. Thank you.

- Ceicei

jus_dann

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you know, reading these posts makes me think of my personal sitation.
i have my wife at my throat 24/7 about MA having no return...LOL
i started teaching just over a year ago (with little to no backing or cert)
i`m one of those guys that has to have a few arts going at the same time or i just get crazy.
so here i am, trying to explain myself. how and why i need to reach instructor level in a few systems so that my own training would "hold water" with an outsider.
one thing that is a little different about me is i studied a few arts under 1 person for a few years and reached "technician level" (mostly chinese). then things went south, he moved, injuries (myself as well as my instructor),etc.
and well, thing just worked out that i could "finish", per say, that arts that i started. so it was time for me to move on. i found myself working with a few different people on a few different arts. mostly my thoughts on teaching a group were so i could bring in my instructors for a seminar and then get the private instruction i needed. at one point in time i had 10 guys that i was teaching in my shop (at home) and then, with a few back injuries, things just kinda fizzled out. now, being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel(with my injuries), its time to start training a little heavier. but the problem is, justifying money spent with no return. i mean you could kinda look at it like going to college. there is no sure way that you will ever get that job you want LOL. and dont get me wroung either, i`m not chasing a dollar here, just trying to take things to the next level. i really enjoy teaching and i`ve always been honest with every student. so how do i explain things to my wife about having to give and invest to be able to get the rewards later?......gezzz
anybody have any ideas? please, i`m begging LOL

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
have you to get your wife involved in the business? To help keep the books or something so she can understand the rewards of the whole thing, or is she not interested in it?

Latest Discussions