Sword Versus Taser: Taser Wins

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just sayin'...

http://easterniowanewsnow.com/2011/05/03/iowa-city-man-arrested-for-carrying-sword-in-pedmall/

Deandre Lemar Ronald Irby, 19, of Iowa City was arrested for having a sword with a 26 inch long blade attached to his backpack while rollerblading in the pedestrian mall on Friday afternoon.
Deandrew Lemar Ronald Irby

An officer doing patrols on bicycle observed Irby rollerblading in the pedestrian mall with the sword in a nylon sheath attached to his backpack. When the officer caught up to Irby, he was trying to hide the sword behind the dumpster, Iowa City Police Sergeant Denise Brotherton said.
When confronted, Irby allegedly told the officer that did not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and that he “knew martial arts,” Brotherton said.
Irby then began to resist and fight against the officer. Irby was then tased by the officer in order to gain control, and was arrested soon after, Brotherton said.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question is, is a sword that is clearly visible on a backpack a 'concealed weapon'?

I'm of the understanding that in NY I could legally wear a sword, however the answers I've gotten from law enforcement have ranged from straight out 'no's to bemused looks. Couldn't find the appropriate statutes when I looked a while back, and since the only blades I'd want to carry are quite valuable to me, I'm hesitant to risk losing them if I'm wrong. (and a BudK wall hanger is useless in a fight unless I wanna just look stupid)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Irby then began to resist and fight against the officer. Irby was then tased by the officer in order to gain control, and was arrested soon after, Brotherton said.

That is the part where the 'fail' lives. Fantasies about being Blade go sour at that point.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having said that, the world has become a much more rabidly paranoid place in the past decade.

Six or so years ago, I walked through the city nearby where I live, carrying my sword (tied in an appropriate bag) on my way to catch the bus to go and train. The city was on 'alert' that day as the local football team was playing at home, so the place was crammed with police. None of them were the slightest bit interested in me.

I wonder how things would be if I did the same thing today?

Don't be too blase about surrendering your freedoms for imaginary security is, I think, the imbedded message ... assuming that the detained man was not disposing of a weapon used in a violent crime of course.

Latest Discussions