How much are you Worth?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This thread could be in lots of places. Health for the medical benefits both physical and mental. It could also be in the Premium, to joke about some of the content. I choose this forum to have an intelligent discussion on this topic.
Thank you - Rich Parsons

From the December 2004 issue of Psychology Today:

Pages 56 & 57; in an article written by Calin Flora

A funny thing has been happening. While Americans' income has skyrocketed in the past 50 years, levels of self-reported happiness have remiained sadly steady.And Consider this: On a life satisfaction scale of 1 to 7, Calcutta Slum dwellers put themselves at 4.6, while Forbes magazines' "rishest Americas" rate themselves only a 5.8.
. . .

They ended up assigning values to certain life expereinces:

Semen = (* $1,500 women / Priceless men *)
Women who engage in sex without condoms report lower levels of depression then those who have the same amount of sex with a condom. ...
Orgasm = $7,000
Orgasms feel great because brain cells release precious chemicals that send euphoria-including endorphins soaring. The bonding homrmone oxytocin rises as well, bringing powerful feelings of contentment. Orgasms could even be life-extending: ...
Sweat = $15,000
Making time for sex is a good long-term investment strategy. It increases blood flow and circulation throughout the body, whihc reduces risk of heart attack. . . . Sexually Active people are less suseptible to depression and suicide.
Touch = $26,000
Humans crave each other's touch - babies who aren't held simply fail to thrive. Adults seek out security and warmth of a human body as much as the sexual activity itself. Caresses from a spouse or long-term partner lessen stress by reducing the hormone cortisol as well as norepinephrine. And when cortisol dips, two chemical messengers - serotonin and dopamine - rise and leave us feeling emotionally flush. ...
Frequent Sex = $50,000
Sex is an emotional jackpot: In a survey of 16,000 Americans, people who had the most sex were also the happiest, according to self-reports. MArried people have more sex than those who are single, divorced, widowed, or separated, and research shows that those with one sex partner as more content than those with none or serveral. (Interestingly, sex appears to have stronger efects on the happiness of highly educated people than those with less education.) In fact, increasing sexual activity from once a month to once a week is equivalent to an additional $50,000 in annual income, ...
Marriage = $115,000
Marriage's windfall goes far beyond tax breaks and joint health coverage. Economists at the University of Warwock in England compared people's levels of happiness in response to life changes, such as a salary raise or getting hitched, and estimated that marriage is tantamount to a six-figure salary.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would you rate yourself as being happy?

Would you equate yourself to making an equivalent income if you were single and without the benefits mentioned?

Thoughts?

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am happy. Completely happy? Well, I must say that the way I am "wired" would say no to that. I am always striving for better. I am a Type A personality and am referred to as a perfectionist. This has caused me to acquire debt, low self-esteem and a never ending passion for perfection.

However, when I consider where I am in life and the blessings I do have, I will say that I am indeed happy. I have my beautiful wife who loves me, my two boys who are growing like weeds. I have a roof over my head and friends and family who are safe and love us. I am happy.

If I was single? Well, I make enough money to say that I would probably drive a nicer car, have a bigger house, wear a better watch, shoes, and clothes. But I don't think I would be happy. I am a blessed man just the way I am...

M

Melissa426

Happy? mostly. I think happiness comes from within. My income has risen dramatically over the last 10 years, but am I happier now than I was then? No.

Content? Hmmm. I think that is the real issue. I am not content with some things in my life, so I must either work to change those things or learn to be at peace with with cards I have been dealt.

According to your post, frequent sex makes your personal "income" higher. Dr. Mehmet Oz, a cardiothoracic surgeon at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in NYC stated on Oprah that 4 orgasms per week will add 6 years to your life.

Peace,
Melissa

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, given that coffee and sex are my only two remaining addictions--and that I use the latter to quench my intense existential pain--I must be worth a Hell of a lot.

I offer myself to any woman here for a cash settlement. Okay, switch to plural and make it women. Take up a collection.

I'll need it for my hospital bills after my wife castrates me.

Regards,

Steve

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great.. I'm not married thus have no hospital bills... except for my therapist for all the depression of NOT being married and not having as much sex as it is proported to be.
So if marriage is to be soooo super-dooper wonderful... then why the high rate of divorce all around the world?

Something about that study isn't ... just... quite... right.

:idunno: or mebbe it's just me... Rawther be caving... more physically demanding, lots to see and do, more emotionally gratifying and I receive more adoration for my efforts from my friends here on MT :uhyeah:

hee hee

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Great.. I'm not married thus have no hospital bills... except for my therapist for all the depression of NOT being married and not having as much sex as it is proported to be.
So if marriage is to be soooo super-dooper wonderful... then why the high rate of divorce all around the world?

Something about that study isn't ... just... quite... right.

:idunno: or mebbe it's just me... Rawther be caving... more physically demanding, lots to see and do, more emotionally gratifying and I receive more adoration for my efforts from my friends here on MT :uhyeah:

hee hee

MAC et al,

I assume just like all studies their were assumptions as well. Like Marriage statistics were taken from those married once, and only once and still married years later. Not sure, yet it could be part of the numbers.

I was in a bad relationship, and in no way make $115,000, yet I am so much happier now.

To change the tone of this thread a little, and I am surprised no one went this way:

Do you think that MArtial Arts counts for the Touch portion of the study? The value of touch was rated to be $26,000, so would a class in MArtial Arts not only give you the benefits of health, and self defense, it also gives you the benefit of "Touch"?

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That last point was great, Mr. Parsons. To further apply it to MA, how about sweat, as in the sweat you leave on the mat, or one could apply it to any exercise, the sweat on the floor of the weight room, the sweat in your clothes coming off a hard run, the value could be equal to whatever the ability to avoid a heart attack and other health problems, or the ability to defend oneself is worth to the individual. Also other intangibles, like the fact that after a workout, I feel better, maybe its endorphins, maybe I'm just relaxed but that is worth a lot to me.

Latest Discussions