How many?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many calisthenics does your martial art class do in a typical workout?

Please break it down by type.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scott,

It will be interesting to see if anyone gets close to pops warmup.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the day, and who's running them. Also a lot of our stuff is BJJ specific... I'll run you through how I generally warm-up the class when asked:

Start but jogging around the mat. Durring the jog we shuffle to the inside of the circle, then outside, run backwards, jog bringing knees up high, bringing our heels up to our butts, crisscross/crossovers/grapevine (we call them any of these names) both inside and out. Sometimes we'll assum low wrestling stances, still circling, and sprawl on the leaders command. Sometimes we'll walk shortways, and sprint the lengths of the mat. Sometimes while jogging the circle on command we'll stop quickly touching both palms to the mat then leaping as high as we can. This portion varries quite a bit depending on who is running our warm-up. I know when I do it I do all of the first exercises, and usually pick one of the last three. I don't count laps really, but typicly do these circle jogging until I'm slightly out of breath (usually the last exercise does a good job of this) and am beginning to feel a sweat.

After this we do varrious mat warm-ups by making three lines and doing at least one mat length of the following. Shrimp crawls, shrimp then stepping through to belly, reverse shrimp, butt scoot forward and backward, pull ourselves across the mat on our bellies using only our arms, alligator crawl, inch-worm, straight forward rolls (not shoulder), rear rolls over shoulder, cartwheels (one length facing one way, one length the other), and Judo (shoulder) rolls left side, then right.

That is usually where I turn it over to my instructor. Other exercise options people use (not necissarily in addition to the previous) are: run with partner in a firemans carry to on end of the mat, do 10 squats and run back and alternate. Using a belt behind the back and under a partners armpits drag them up and back on the mat (kind of like rows). Guard sit-ups with a partner (have partner in guard and sit-up at angle so your armpit end over their shoulder). Leg-ups with partner throwing them down to sides. Jumping guard with partner. Jump guard on standing partner, take their back (without touching the floor) and continue round to front, then change directions.

Anyway, you get the idea. It sounds like a lot, but really normally it isn't more than the set I explain I typically use. Some days it's harder though.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I think of "calisthenics" I think of jumping jacks.

We don't do any, primarily because of what I read from Thomas Kurz who says it is better to warm up using motions similar to what you are going to be performing in your technical work-out.

That said, we do lots of knee-ups/footwork drills/ladder drills, etc. to get warmed up for the main portion of our training (which, since we are Taekwondoin, is kicking and punching).

Miles

OP
zDom

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.

I'm really looking for numbers, though (or duration, for things like running laps, as laps around a school vary in distance).

How many guard situps?

How many knee ups? 10? 50? 300?

I'd especially like to hear from Judoka to see if they are still doing the high reps that Judo schools used to do.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normaly just push ups. But at some point or anouther we done just about everything.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pushups 50- 100 at the start of class
sit -ups the same

during class more of each depending on what the instructor feels like having the class do

jumping jacks - gawd, who knows the number changes depending on who is in class and how winded the instructor wants the class

I can remember being in my instructors class and having the class start with 300 -500 of any exercise that popped into his head those where endurance classes and they hurt but we learned from them and got stronger mentally and physically

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are fight team runs at least 1 mile and does 250 crunches and 150 push ups as well as High knees. We also spend another 15 minutes on streching and then we go on to footwork drill and then kicking drillls and combo drills for kicking.
Terry

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
we spend approx 30 minutes on warming up.

6 minutes of jump rope
2rds of 3 minutes of shadow boxing 30 second break between
100 push ups
100 crunches
25-50 burpees
150 kicks against pads
150 knees against pads from the clinch
160 elbow strikes against pads
2rds of 3 minutes of shadow boxing

then we start training.

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we don't spend that much time warming up. We are supposed to do that before class. What we do in class(usually in this order) are as follows:

leg swings(fornt and bakc both legs)
10 hindu pushups
12 nuckle pushups(on first two nuckles only)
30 crunches
50 jumping jacks
standing in onelegged stance to work on balance
and then we practice combination kicks and punches or parries and blocks

Like I said we usully warm-up before class.