How Many Teachers?

How many Martial Art teachers have you had?

• None

• More than 5

Results are only viewable after voting.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Then of course, you might move do the demands of school, jobs, whatever.

Some people form such a bond with their first instructor that once they leave him or her, they never go back to the martial arts.

Migosh that sounds like me. I'd be devastated if I was seperated from my school. There was once when I heard my instructor joke about moving on to someplace different, I truly hope he doesn't.

My instructor is amazingly intuitive. I would expect him to be able to pick up on my strengths and weaknesses, but he has been able to teach me without making me feel embarassed about what I cannot do. He's also adapted to a lot of my quirks and adapted his style to fit...even though I never told him what these quirks are. He truly is bringing out my absolute best, and it is an amazing feeling.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have paid five people for the opportunity to learn from them long enough to rec'v some level of certification, recognition or rank (not all black belt rank, btw).

My first instructor is the man that I, to this day, still call my instructor and who's recognition and approval I would seek, if I were to seek anybody's.

My second instructor is a good man with whom I lost contact with after his school closed.

My Third instructor is the man I call my TKD teacher (to separate him from my instructor). I will be returning to his dojang this winter!

My fourth teacher is the man whom I teach for in Tennessee and is also a friend.

My Fifth teacher, my Kenpo instructor, is much closer to my age and hasn't been in the arts as long as I have, but his skill is exceptional and I learn from him every chance I get.

I can't count the number of people that I have learned off of that I haven't paid and had a formal student-teacher relationship with, nor can I begin to count the number of students that I have learned of of during my recent years of teaching...many teachers, many students.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i came up in a huge school with a large staff, so by black belt i'd taken classes from 7 or 8 people. and i've moved around a lot. and i've been to lots of seminars.

my favorite teacher ever was Lee Sprague. his love for martial arts and his students was obvious and infectious. i love that man like a second father, even though i didn't meet him until i was in my 20s.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I've got 5 on my list, one from each of the styles that I have or am studying. I have worked out at other schools and with other instructors, but I don't really consider myself their student, even though I paid dues and took class.

Lamont

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have learned from 5 primary instructors although the first was the most important since he instilled my basics, taught me to actually be able to use them, but most importantly was a man of integrity and instilled in me a philosophy along with the physical training. His belief was that learning the physical moves is only 1/2 the job. Your philosophy is the other half.

Aaron Fields

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I only practice one type of thing, so having four coaches is not really a big deal, as you are just gathering info on that person's approach or speciality.

I have had two coaches that stand out, John Blumming for his tenacity, technical ability, and ability to get the best out of his fighters. Blumming sensei still coaches me. His judo is simply amazing, even at 70 years old.

WHile living in Mongolia my main training partner and coach, Odgerel. He is an assistant coach of the Mongol national sombo and judo team, and he also put me in touch with a good coach for the folk wrestling. Odgerel's technique was highly developed and his strength was amazing. He kept me very honest in success, as without me being right on the money he is strong enough to fight off moderate quality attacks. Also, his, as well as the whole team, showing me "Eastern Bloc" style of judo and developing my sombo, changed my way of practice and style of fighting forever.

I have been lucky in that I have alwasy had top-notch coaches. I only hope I can pass on a portion of what theyhave given me.

Aaron Fields
Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
Sea-Town Sombo

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I count 5 and a half (discount for counting one twice).

1974, Kent Bole, 1st Dan Chung Do Kwan
1979, Mark Gerger, 3rd Dan, Tae Kwon Do
1983, Dr. Hrenovich, 2nd Dan, Hakko Ryu Jujutsu
1989, Mike March, 3rd Dan?, Tang Soo Do
2003, Robert Bessler, 5th Dan Bujinkan, 1st Dan? Aiki-no-jutsu
2005, Mark Gerger (again) 6th Dan, Tae Kwon Do

I might branch out again later. But for this next year I'll be concentrating on TKD in preparation for BB testing next Fall.

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I moved around a lot because of my dads job when I was a kid, ended up doing some Shorin-Ryu and Kyokishin. A couple of different instructors in both. Went away from the martial arts for about 10 years while I was in the Army. Wish I wouldn't have. Since I've left the army, I've heard of some great schools that were very close to some of the places I was posted at. Got out of the Army and tried a few different things. Kali, JKD, and a few other things. Married my current wife, who runs a school, and started taking lessons from her instructor and fellow black belts. I was the only kyu ranked person in those classes for years. That whole group I would have to say are my fave instructors. A great leaning experience.

Jeff

Latest Discussions