How Many Teachers?

How many Martial Art teachers have you had?

• None

• More than 5

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had three or four. One taught me Shaolin-do in Lexington when I was nineteen, but I moved from UK (University of Kentucky) and driving an hour and a half each way every Monday or Friday got crazy.

Then, just a few years ago, I found another Shaolin-do teacher close to my home and I was ecstatic, so I joined up. He's a good teacher and I would recommend his school to just about anyone looking for a hell of a workout.

But the most influential is my current one, who teaches a few different jujitsu styles and Modern Arnis as an add-on. It was Joe Morris who taught me how to look at kata and make them useful for fighting, not just exercise and aerobics. He also taught (and still teaches) me how to use pressure points, locks, throws, and different hand strikes in different situations. I feel like it's a whole new perspective on all of the exercises I have done in the past with Shaolin-do. Also, through Joe's teachers and seminars in his teacher's school, I am learning additional things about healing, energy, meridians, meditation, etc, which I think is a really cool combination (even though I can't do a whole lot with my chi yet or meditate very well, but that's why I'm in class, I guess.) I was raised moderately conservatively and I'm a Taurus, so I feel like a total hippy sometimes in class, but that's what learning's all about. I really liike new stuff, but new perspectives on old stuff is even bettter to me.

And the reason I said 3-4? Near my hometown, there is an Adult Center, which is mostly a social gathering community place for retired folks. At the center, there is a Tai Chi instructor. I go to that class once a week and she teaches Tai Chi to older people. I am 30, and it's kind of funny to me because as she's teaching us the moves, mostly focusing on self-healing and relaxation, I'm going through the moves in my mind and imagining ways in which those moves can be used in a fight. She's talking about "dragons swimming" and "petting the peacock's feathers," and various other poetic names for motions and I'm thinking "ouch" and "oh my god, that's deadly." Again with the different perspectives, I suppose.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've probably had half a dozen or more people whose actual aim was to teach me. Probably the best of those was the guy with the Jujitsu background, who was also head of security training at a local jail. He had a lot of practical experience in both using and teaching really effective, simple techniques. I learned a lot of great principles from him.

Having said that, I learn new things, or get reminded of old things, every time I train.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor for 5 years taught me taekwondo. My second instructor, now my husband, teaches me JKD and ninjutsu. And of course, I am my third instructor. :)

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
6 Primary
1 - Tae Kwon Do / Shito Ryu
2 - Aikido
2 - Goju Ryu
1 - Jujutsu

I can't say one was best. I think all were fantastic. I got lucky when I met my first teacher. Then I sought out different arts and looked for specific qualities in the teacher, selecting schools that had high standards and quality instruction.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Due to moving around with school and work I've had several different instructors. However a couple of instructors that have impacted my life greatly were ones I met through seminars and such. I try and learn from anyone and everyone that I can.

Amercian TKD/karate
Mr. Proctor and all of the guys at his dojo, he truly helped me to see that the martial arts isn't just a business but a lifestyle. However he more than any other has kept the group together by allowing us to be like family as well. Those were great years for me.

Kobudo
Sensei Boughman (?), whom I met through Mr. Proctor.

Arnis
Hock Hochheim, Hock has taught me a great deal over the years about arnis, business, success, and seeing a bigger picture.
GM Remy Presas, Hock introduced me to Remy and I never stopped training with him till his untimely passing. A great influence on me.
GM Ernesto Presas, Hock also introduced me to GM ernesto as well, and I didn't stop training with him as well. GM Ernesto is another big influence in my arnis skills.

Honorable mentions
Sensei Robbins, Dan Inosanto (my first exposure to the FMA), SM Dan Anderson (MA), Datu Dieter (MA)

Mark

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have only had 4 actual teachers:

Tim Foster was my first he taught me Aikijujitsu, Shin Gi Tai Jujitsu, and Shotokan Karate, later on he started teaching Chinese kenpo (we did away with Shotokan), and not soon after that we started doing Gung Fu.

John Geyston taught me Krav Maga

Dusty Seale was my first DKI teacher and also taught some Wei Kuan Do

T.A. Frazer is my current teacher he has been teaching me Ryukyu Kempo, Jodoryu Jujitsu, and Arnis. I owe him the most credit although I was with my first instructor longer Mr. Frazer has taken me further in a shorter period of time I thank him for that. (side note had Dusty stayed I would probably be saying the same of him)

I have taken other classes but nothing that I would consider calling someone my teacher over.

Seminars teachers:
George Dillman, Tom Manson, Leo Fong, John Saylor, Tony Annesi, Tim Wolfe, R.D. Lawrence, Ken Smith, Ed Lake, Alan Shind, Jeremy Bays I know I am forgetting some when I remember them I will reply again

And my students have taught me quite a bit as well.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've learned from three. I have loved my experience of being taught from them. They know I'm a girl, however don't give me the common expression that a girl isn't strong enough for martial arts. They are around the age of my own father, and I consider them very much family figures. Even when I've had problems in my own family, I can always go to them to get my feelings out. They've always been in my best interest, always.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you can't help but have different teachers. If you're in a school/university club, teachers come and go. In a large school different teachers teach different classes. Then of course, you might move do the demands of school, jobs, whatever.

Some people form such a bond with their first instructor that once they leave him or her, they never go back to the martial arts.

Regards,

Steve

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor was a TKD master back when I was in the Air Force (some 32 yrs. ago). He gave me a healthy respect fro martial arts in general, although I only practiced about 2 years.

About 8 years ago I met sensei Frank McGouirk, who teaches Aikido and Tai Chi (www.aikidoai.com/), who taught me Tai Chi, Qi Gong, and most importantly, how to really respect the fact that there are a lot of wonderful souls outside your normal circle if you just reach out and meet them. I stayed with him for 3 years, and having gotten in pretty good shape decided it was time for a little harder art.

5 years ago I started American Kenpo with my current sensei - Bob Leonard (Tracy lineage, 9th dan), and I give thanks every day that I have the opportunity to train with a man of such high caliber. He makes the path right for many of us, and I am thankful.

These gentlemen have been instrumental in my journey, and I just wanted to acknowledge them among friends.

-Garry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Some people form such a bond with their first instructor that once they leave him or her, they never go back to the martial arts.

I came close to that. My first instructor in TSD, was like a big brother. He's not much older them me (ten years older). But he was good, and he cared about his students (still does ... he still bugs me to come train when I'm in NJ). And I still practice my TSD forms because of him.

But I continued training, which is a good thing. One of my best friends (3rd dan) I met through TKD, and her hubby (5th dan Jujitsu, 2nd dan in TKD) teaches me Jujitsu for free, so I got a win-win situation in all my arts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess eight who have been formal teachers of mine, but there have been others along the way who have enhanced the experience. Each one has been very different, and I have gotten very different things from them.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've trained under 3 principal instructors. The one who has had the greatest impact on my learning the MAs in general, and my art in particular would be my 1st instructor, a 7th dan holder. He taught me the basics from which I was able to grow and develope. I'm extremely grateful to my 1st Sabumnim for sharing his MA knowledge... :asian:

J

jbclinic

the world is my teacher, the lessons are not always martial

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
3 formal instructors.

Very blessed, my first instructor (Goju Ryu) was a rival of my present instructor (kempo) back in the late 70's and early 80's. Both had very similar movements and techniques, so the transition was very natural. Nice to hear the stories about the two of them together. They liked each other, but were ferocious competitors.

Best Regards,

Sifu Jerry

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have had 4 instructors two at a time...first was a father and son who taught together and then it is now another father and son who teach together.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 1st instructor tayght as if every student could do anything they tried. He was also heavy on discipline. My 2nd instructor taught technique (He wouldn't bother to know your name until you were a green belt. Wouldn't intiate a conversation until you were a brown belt) he had the personality of a rock. His wife was the brains & heart of the outfit. Other instructors I've had weren't as big on discipline, but heavy on technique, attitutde & relationship. My current instructor seems to be big on discipline, attitude & technique.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two. Although technically, all BB and instructors are considered to be students of our GM, so three.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only ever had one Sahbum (which is why I voted "1" on the poll), but I have learned from countless other people of all ranks... but I wasn't sure how to put that into the poll.

Latest Discussions