Outer vs Inner Middle Forearm blocks

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping someone might be able to clear up the difference between an inner and an outer middle forearm block. I am supposed to be practicing this weekend for my first grading but I can't seem to find the differences anywhere. Thanks.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
An outer block is done to the outside of your body - away from the midline. An inner block is done to the inside - towards the midline.

A middle block is one at the middle level as opposed to high or low.

A forearm block is done with the bones of the forearm.

If someone has not explained this to you you need to talk to your instructor. It's very, very basic terminology.

OP
T

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused how the block in Chon Ji could be called an inner block then since the block is made in an outward direction on all the videos I've seen? Or is it simply that the block is stopped closer to the midline of the torso while an outer block ends closer to the shoulder?

I think the factor most to blame here is being one of the only white belts in a white-yellow class and I'm a bit directionally challenged.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if it covers the middle of your body it is an inner block. If it extends beyound your body it is an outer block

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was hoping someone might be able to clear up the difference between an inner and an outer middle forearm block. I am supposed to be practicing this weekend for my first grading but I can't seem to find the differences anywhere. Thanks.

I'm confused how the block in Chon Ji could be called an inner block then since the block is made in an outward direction on all the videos I've seen? Or is it simply that the block is stopped closer to the midline of the torso while an outer block ends closer to the shoulder?

I think the factor most to blame here is being one of the only white belts in a white-yellow class and I'm a bit directionally challenged.

Given that you're asking about a Ch'ang H'on form, I'm going to give you the Ch'ang H'on response.

Inner and outer, in this context, refer to the part of your arm that you are using. Lay your arm on your leg or on the table in front of you, with your palm down. Your inner forearm is the side on the inside of your arm, the side your thumb is on. Your outer forearm is the side on the outside of your arm, the side your pinkie is on. The complete name of this block, as performed in Chon-Ji, is middle inner forearm block - thus, it is a middle height block performed with the inner forearm, which is the blocking tool.

The other block in Chon-Ji is a low outer forearm block (generally referred to as low block) - thus, a low block performed with the outer forearm.

Some other terminology that may be confusing you:

Outward: Performed in an outward direction, toward the outside of your body from your centerline (the center of your body - you were using the term midline for the same thing)

Inward: Performed in an inward direction, toward your centerline from the outside of your body

Tool: the part of your hand, foot, leg, or arm that contacts the target

Heights- refer to an exact location in reference to your own body (patterns, line drills) or on your opponent (some step sparring and free sparring, target drills)Low: tool is the height of your belt
Middle: tool is the height of your shoulder
High: tool is the height of your eyes

Sections - refer to a broader area (some step sparring and free sparring; may be for target drills depending on your instructor) - can be differentiated from a height by the use of the word "section"
Low section: below the belt
Middle section: between the belt and the shoulder
High section: above the shoulder

I hope this helps!

OP
T

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Given that you're asking about a Ch'ang H'on form, I'm going to give you the Ch'ang H'on response.

Inner and outer, in this context, refer to the part of your arm that you are using. Lay your arm on your leg or on the table in front of you, with your palm down. Your inner forearm is the side on the inside of your arm, the side your thumb is on. Your outer forearm is the side on the outside of your arm, the side your pinkie is on. The complete name of this block, as performed in Chon-Ji, is middle inner forearm block - thus, it is a middle height block performed with the inner forearm, which is the blocking tool.

The other block in Chon-Ji is a low outer forearm block (generally referred to as low block) - thus, a low block performed with the outer forearm.

I hope this helps!

Yes this perfectly explains what I was asking.

I can easily see how the lower outer forearm block and upper outer forearm blocks work. However, I am having difficulty visualizing how a middle outer forearm block would work. Every time I go to do a middle block it turns into a middle inner forearm block. Do you think you would be able to describe the hand positioning in words or post a pic/video?

Thanks again.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes this perfectly explains what I was asking.

I can easily see how the lower outer forearm block and upper outer forearm blocks work. However, I am having difficulty visualizing how a middle outer forearm block would work. Every time I go to do a middle block it turns into a middle inner forearm block. Do you think you would be able to describe the hand positioning in words or post a pic/video?

Thanks again.

Here's a video of Do-San (which you won't have learned yet; it comes after Dan-Gun, which comes after Chon-Ji)

[yt]vB-ynzaB8hY[/yt]

In this pattern, middle outer forearm block is seen in moves 1, 3, 9, and 11, immediately before the reverse punch in the following moves. There are technical differences between how this gentleman performs his pattern and how I was taught, so don't let that throw you; I chose it because the outer forearm block is clearly visible, especially move 9, which is directly in front of the camera.

Outer forearm block starts like a low outer forearm block, with the hands back to back (unlike inner forearm black, which starts with both hands palms out). Remember that all hand techniques have a twist - so if you're going to complete the technique palm out (as in outer forearm blocks at any height), you have to start with the hand palm facing you; likewise, the opposite (non-blocking) hand has to land palm up at your belt, and thus must start palm down, underneath the blocking hand.

OP
T

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kacey that's perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I've clearly been doing both blocks wrong (without the twist). Awesome answers :)

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah it is good that Kacey got in there with the Chon-Ji response.

I did go on about different blocks, but Kacey's done it!

yup.. Kacey covered it entirely I think.. and its exactly how I would have explained it too. good one K.

Latest Discussions