How is your home defended?

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
2 large dogs, 1 bb husband, self defense training and a wicked temper. Plus I live about a block from the police station.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now what if a thef where to be reading this forum, and was also exceptional with computers and is able to know everything there is to know about you...Hence braking into your house and knowing your lines of Defence

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fact is, i'm not concerned with intruders while i'm home. It's just not even a concern, those found here at night will be removed by coroner. It's when i'm gone that concerns me. I don't even lock my doors when i'm home. I figure if I lock the doors, it's more thing i'll have to repair if they kick it in. If I leave it unlocked, they can just open it and walk in, right before I blow them right back out. Having the floors steamed clean will cost enough. As far as keeping guns under my pillow, I sleep with a pump action twelve gauge shotgun under my side of the bed. I'm armed in 2.3 seconds.

Of course, having put more than my share of felons in prison and making even more mad, i've probably got more than the average reason to believe someone might visit me. Some said they would. I always make sure to let them know that i've got lots of burial space in my backyard, and plenty of ammunition. I told one particularly heinous felon ,who threatened to visit me at home, that if I saw him on the same block as my house, I would place a .308 round through one of his eye-sockets while he was driving. He complained about that threat to my chief who replied to him, "I'd avoid his house, he probably will." This seemed to worry said felon as he never made another threat and moved shortly thereafter. It's funny how cowardly most criminals are. They like to intimidate, but they whine when they're intimidated.

Reactions: MJS

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well lesse, no guns in the house (not yet at least, I'm getting a late start on my Firearms training) but I do have knives....lots....and lots....of knives....The neighborhood I live in regularly has very loud noises (shouting, yelling, the idiots above me using their apt. as a bowling alley) and there is some sort of pounding latin beat blairing out of someone's bass speakers 24/7 so I don't have to worry about making any noise I (or the poor guy who breaks in) makes in the defense of my home. As for the above mentioned computer savvy thief? Ya'll come on down and I'll show ya some Suthahn Hospitahlitee.

T

TonyM.

Two large male chow chows have kept my home burglar/invader free. They pry off the screen windows and are greeted by two snarling dogs.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just because.......

My great gran'daddys brother died at the age of 99.
I remember asking why he had a limp once....
it was because he used to use bear traps under his windows for burglars.
Guess he had a little too much of that "honey dew lime water" one night and had to go through his own window when he realised he was locked out of his house......
Now I know why uncle jesse had a limp til he died!

Just thought I'd throw that in for old time "home security"
icon10.gif

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My (parents) home is very well defended (yet easy to break into :uhoh: )
We have a dog that does not like strangers very much, I personally think my dog is paranoid, she barks at the slightest thing. Motion sensor flood lights for the yard (very very handy). My dad keeps a .45 in his room, I have my various sticks, bokkens, and knives scattered about my room. My 12 guage is easy to get to (for those who know where it is). I also have my compound bow in my room... not the most practical, but I can get an arrow nocked and drawn pretty damn fast and am deadly accuate within about 40 yards just by natural sight. I realize that is not the msot practical weapon, however my room is not attached to the house, so most likely the person would by pass my room, allowing me to come in behind him (provided I dont meet him in the driveway, I am a light sleeper)

When I will be living in an appartment for college next year I may bring my 12 guage but I'm not too sure about that. I will have all my sticks and knives around though. I have one folder that has great ballance and I can get it to stick everytime I throw it.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
When I will be living in an appartment for college next year I may bring my 12 guage but I'm not too sure about that. I will have all my sticks and knives around though. I have one folder that has great ballance and I can get it to stick everytime I throw it.
Careful. This will depend on the area-environment and landlord

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1 Doberman Pincher
husband and Wife both BB in Kenpo
1 .45 Bereta
1 pair if sais (not to good for anything execpt for throwing in my hands)
4 staffs ( only recommend using one at a time)
1 Kicking sheild ( only good if the burglar is kicking you)
2 full sets of sparring gear ( I don't think I can talk him into putting them on)
1 pair of nunchucks (I would probably hurt myself with them)

My best bet is the the preventative measures of the Dog.

V/R

Rick

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
What college are you going to?

Are you living on of off campus?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
What college are you going to?

Are you living on of off campus?
I'll be attending CSUS, I really wouldn't be bringing the shotgun for home defense as there is a shooting range about 20min away on highway 50, I need to get better at shooting clays.

Yeah I'll be off campus.... I wouldn't dare try to bring it if I lived in the dorms.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dubljay said:
I'll be attending CSUS, I really wouldn't be bringing the shotgun for home defense as there is a shooting range about 20min away on highway 50, I need to get better at shooting clays.

Yeah I'll be off campus.... I wouldn't dare try to bring it if I lived in the dorms.
Forgive my ignorance...what is CSUS?

And, where you will be staying-is it considered a arear of crime?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Forgive my ignorance...what is CSUS?

And, where you will be staying-is it considered a arear of crime?
Sorry... lazy habit.. CSUS = Cal. State Univ. Sacramento.

The area isn't really that bad, just a lot of cars broken into mostly. Like I said, I would mainly want the shotgun around to take to the range that's near by.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best regards in your academic endeavors.

I am sure security will be alright in your home away from home.

O

OC Kid

Well first let me say I didnt read this entire thread. But here is my take.

I am a 5th B/B and I have weapons at home 357 mag. I felt I could protect my family. I was wrong.

In 1994 a guy brioke into my home while my wife and I was at work. he attempted to rape my SIL who was baby sitting my 6 month old son. he threatened to kill my son if she didnt do what he wanted. his name is Steven Dexter Brooks and is now serving time in Calif penetentiary. he got 132 years for the crimes.

He staked the house out and knew exactly what time to strike.
She got away and wasthe only one he didnt rape. He was convicted of 14 rapes in the area and suspected of many others.
My son was safe and he didnt harm him

What saved her was quick thinnking on her part. She managed to escape and alert the neighbors who called the police.

So in my opinion...Burg alarms, dogs other than for alerting you or your neighbors, weapons, training in M/A ect wont help.
Putting visual deterents such as security doors and keeping your windows shut and locked will help.
If it makes it to tough on the guy BEFORE he tries is the only way. You want him to go somewhere that is a more easy target in his mind.
Even if its just having signs that your home is protected by a security system.
But must important :Being able to think clearly and have a evasive plan is the best way.
They are professionals at being criminals. They prey on the unprepared the weak and easy.

They pick their prey like all predators do. IMO

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that OC Kid, sounds like SIL was ok. Curious, did she flee with your son? How did the intruder get in the house without her knowledge? Did you have a dog or other warning there?

Yes, we have a security plan. And we also have one upon our own entry-in case there is a "unexpected visitor".

Our weapons/firearms are well-hid in certain areas of the house. I know we have done a good job at this because we had a "break-in" around '99. They took minimal items and did not find our weapons and high-price belongings. It is best to take photos and hold receipts for any item exceeding $50.00.

Dogs and alarms are great for alerts.

Deterance is the key. And you said it well-have them look elsewhere for something easier.

However, a rapist is not concerned with deterance. He has his target sighted and will study and wait.

One of my instructors has every BB candidate take rape seminars and basic criminology courses, as well as a thesis turn-in before ranking.

One such precautionary measure, when walking into a city, there will be a greater chance of being mugged. Stash a secondary wallet with scant cards and pics. Leave misc money/bills, about $25, mostly $1's. When a mugger demands your wallet, give him the "secondary" wallet.

My brother did not heed my advice. A mugger made off with his wallet. Worse, as I known, the thief broke into my brothers house. Because the theif had my brothers ID and known whereabouts.

It is not to become paranoid-just cautious.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have signs on my doors that read "If you enter this home Unlawfully you will be killed" in english and spanish along with Alarm signs, video survelance signs and Dog warning signs.

I have a (eventually) big dog.

I have Alarms, and lights.

I have Video Cameras that detect motion and upload the images to server space on the web, so even if someone steals my PC, I still have the video evidence.

I have good locks, loaded firearms, and other weapons.

I wont get too specific, as I dont want to tell anyone what awaits them... suffice to say my friends say that I am paranoid and over-protected.

Plus there is almost always someone at the home.

Latest Discussions