More non-MA related Self Protection

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some good sound advice here I think.
What cops and crooks say you're doing wrong.
You're an easy target. That's what we heard when we talked to police, experts, and especially people who have spent time on the other side of the law. As vacation season begins, and crime doesn't take a holiday, these security missteps may surprise you -- or at least remind you what police dramas taught: Be careful out there. Here are the mistakes to avoid at home, with your electronics, and for your personal finances:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112714/how-to-protect-yourself-consumerrep
A friend of mine is getting into the lawn care business. He asked me how I thought he could help expand or draw business. After a lengthy chat (mostly by him) I pointed out two things. One he said that he doesn't want to do what everybody else is doing (i.e. cutting grass and weed-eating)... another thing is that he has professional grade hedge trimmers.
I told him that one selling point is to be specific... trim hedges and the best selling tactic of that would be to explain that by keeping their hedges trimmed a lot of thieves and burglars would avoid houses where their windows aren't covered by a big shrub. A nice low cut shrub makes just as much curb-appeal as a big fat one... or even better... makes it look neat and well cared for.

Another thing is having a home security sign on your front lawn... real or faked. It won't deter a true professional but it would likely deter a casual burglar trying to choose a house at random.

Interesting statement about gun-ownership: (underline/italics are mine)
,snip>
Thinking a gun is your best defense
Gun ownership is a controversial topic, but research has shown that homeowners with guns increase the risks in their home. Homeowners might make the mistake of not getting proper training and not securing their firearms. Thirty-two percent reported having a gun as a security measure. And 73 percent of gun owners thought it was very good or excellent for protection.
Doesn't seem that controversial does it? But 32% is IMO too small a number. Though I DO agree that a sad portion of those do not have proper training or security for their weapons. Too many people think shooting a gun is simply point the barrel and pull the trigger, as opposed to aim and squeeze. And keeping it in a drawer by the bed is just as good as a safe.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Caver, I'm glad you brought this up. Your timing is perfect for me as I'm working on a presentation on situational awareness and safety for clients at my agency.

It's a fair assertion that SD isn't just about crime prevention. I think other safety measures can fall under that category too - having a fire extinguisher in your home, wearing heavy boots so you don't slip and break something after a heavy snow, and of course the ever-popular "projecting confidence" to deter potential bad guys.

And with that, I have to defend my job by catching the bus to work on time. More later ...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good sound advice here I think.
A friend of mine is getting into the lawn care business. He asked me how I thought he could help expand or draw business. After a lengthy chat (mostly by him) I pointed out two things. One he said that he doesn't want to do what everybody else is doing (i.e. cutting grass and weed-eating)... another thing is that he has professional grade hedge trimmers.
I told him that one selling point is to be specific... trim hedges and the best selling tactic of that would be to explain that by keeping their hedges trimmed a lot of thieves and burglars would avoid houses where their windows aren't covered by a big shrub. A nice low cut shrub makes just as much curb-appeal as a big fat one... or even better... makes it look neat and well cared for.

Another thing is having a home security sign on your front lawn... real or faked. It won't deter a true professional but it would likely deter a casual burglar trying to choose a house at random.

Very good advice! If someone really wants to get in, they probably will, but doing the little things, can make a difference, between an easy time, and a difficult one.

Interesting statement about gun-ownership: (underline/italics are mine)
Doesn't seem that controversial does it? But 32% is IMO too small a number. Though I DO agree that a sad portion of those do not have proper training or security for their weapons. Too many people think shooting a gun is simply point the barrel and pull the trigger, as opposed to aim and squeeze. And keeping it in a drawer by the bed is just as good as a safe.

Couldn't agree more. I'm certainly not against gun ownership, but as I've said many many times, unless the person is going to put forth the extra effort and really train, the average Joe will IMO, have a harder time, due to stress, the potential of no or low lighting, moving targets, etc.

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Way back when I started in police work (actually '68, but this would have been in the early 70s) I was assigned to handle gun permits. Our county had a "permit to purchase" law at the time, and folks had to pick out a weapon at the store then get the permit to go buy it.

On more than one occasion, I gave permits to individuals who obviously had no idea of how to handle the weapon properly.
In one case I remember, two quite elderly folks came in together with an application to buy a .25 automatic.
I tried to point out to them that this was perhaps the worst choice they could make, and that even manipulation of the weapon for old folks with creaky joints was going to be difficult, much less actually shooting it.
But the old guy was insistent; his wife wanted something "small".
I spoke to the dealer after the guy picked his pistol up. The dealer had tried to talk him out of the .25 as well. He said the couple had requested that the dealer load the weapon, put the safety on, and put it back in the box. They walked out carrying the little box like it was a hand grenade....
I have no idea how common this is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more common than you'd think.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was in the security feild for a 12 years and the guy that first hired me taught me something I'll never for get.
" I don't care if you seal it in concrete and drop it in the ocean. Given enough time and light someone who is determined WILL break in"
That being said he always had us tell the customers. If you make your place even a little harder to get in..guess what. You neighbor gets hit and not you.

Latest Discussions