How I train my horse stance

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
AND in all honesty pointless, its only doing something when it hurts, if you can do two hours and it only hurts for the last five. Mins, then that's all the benefit you get out of it. Except you have wasted one hour fifty five mins of your life sitting on an invisible chair. If five mins is too easy, stick some weight on your back till it hurts again
I suggest that you should not do horse stance.

Problem solved. That was easy.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suggest that you should not do horse stance.

Problem solved. That was easy.
but I do, its in the middle of my very slow isokinetic squat

I'm trying to work out what benefits people think they get from holding it for an extended amount of time, other than if your at a dinner and there are no chairs left

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the science books tells us that isometric exercises are quite good a building strengh, but only close to the angle the joint is
What do the books say about isometric exercises in the context of fighting and how it contributes to the elements related to being able to move, withstand, and maintain joint, tendon, and ligament health? "The books" are just now learning about the benefits of Tai Chi and that the slow movement goes way beyond just building strength.

So all a horse stance does for strengh is make you very good at doing horse stance. It's carry over in to general leg strengh will be limited.

From someone that does a horse stance a lot and uses the horse stance a lot. I can tell you from first hand that this is not true. My original post even highlights that more goes on than "just a horse stance"

If you did a series of isometric holds from legs slightly bent to bum on the grass, then you would experience increased strengh through the entire range of motion or you could go with the tried and tested techneque of squatting's a bit of weight
1st. That's not a horse stance and 2nd. As for what you are referring to. There's a different.
3978051578_4b73c51ba7-postimg-539v.jpg

In terms of a horse stance, there is no need to push all the way up. Do you do full squat extensions with your legs when you spar or fight? or do you keep your knees bent for the majority of the time?
Show me the mechanics of a full range leg squat in this fight? Did it out number the times the fighters shifted in and out of horse and bow stance? Did they have strong stances or were they often trying to regain balance? How often did they have their legs straight with their knees almost locked out vs them having their legs bent.
[/QUOTE]

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do the books say about isometric exercises in the context of fighting and how it contributes to the elements related to being able to move, withstand, and maintain joint, tendon, and ligament health? "The books" are just now learning about the benefits of Tai Chi and that the slow movement goes way beyond just building strength.

From someone that does a horse stance a lot and uses the horse stance a lot. I can tell you from first hand that this is not true. My original post even highlights that more goes on than "just a horse stance"

1st. That's not a horse stance and 2nd. As for what you are referring to. There's a different.
3978051578_4b73c51ba7-postimg-539v.jpg

In terms of a horse stance, there is no need to push all the way up. Do you do full squat extensions with your legs when you spar or fight? or do you keep your knees bent for the majority of the time?
Show me the mechanics of a full range leg squat in this fight? Did it out number the times the fighters shifted in and out of horse and bow stance? Did they have strong stances or were they often trying to regain balance? How often did they have their legs straight with their knees almost locked out vs them having their legs bent.
[/QUOTE]
its really hard to read when you mess the quotes up. Slow movement are good for something's fast movements better for other things
that not in dispute. I use both in my training

but the substantive points remain. Horse stance can only increase strengh at the aprox angle you have your legs at during the hold. The only thing that is useful for is increasing the length of time you can hold your horse stance for. No one hold a horse stance for even 1 mins in a fight

so what possible benefit does holding it for an hour or more give you? It's a genuine question.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
its really hard to read when you mess the quotes up.
Sorry about that. Not sure what happened there.

No one hold a horse stance for even 1 mins in a fight so what possible benefit does holding it for an hour or more give you? It's a genuine question.
The longest I've held mine was about 42 seconds when sparring against a guy working on his his take downs. Had the round been longer then I would have kept the stance for longer. I have 2 videos of me fighting while in a deep horse stance. Some of the people here have seen these videos. Once against a guy that I working on his take downs and another against a guy that was working on his takedowns and striking. In both videos you can see how the horse stance benefited me.

so what possible benefit does holding it for an hour or more give you? It's a genuine question.
I'm not a supporter of holding a horse stance for an hour so that's not something you would hear me defend. My only point is that the horse stance training helps a lot more than what people think, which is why started this thread. When I get time to make the video, I will share and explain without writing a book.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Not sure what happened there.

The longest I've held mine was about 42 seconds when sparring against a guy working on his his take downs. Had the round been longer then I would have kept the stance for longer. I have 2 videos of me fighting while in a deep horse stance. Some of the people here have seen these videos. Once against a guy that I working on his take downs and another against a guy that was working on his takedowns and striking. In both videos you can see how the horse stance benefited me.

I'm not a supporter of holding a horse stance for an hour so that's not something you would hear me defend. My only point is that the horse stance training helps a lot more than what people think, which is why started this thread. When I get time to make the video, I will share and explain without writing a book.
I'm not saying its not usefull, I'm more railing about the folks who use duration as some sort of test of fitness or manliness'

id like to see your vids if you can link them

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the biggest problem with isometrics' in general is they can massively over load your nervous system, and need days to recover from if you over do them. I have sat there with the shakes on many an evening having pushed to far.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AND in all honesty pointless, its only doing something when it hurts, if you can do two hours and it only hurts for the last five. Mins, then that's all the benefit you get out of it. Except you have wasted one hour fifty five mins of your life sitting on an invisible chair. If five mins is too easy, stick some weight on your back till it hurts again
I will put your suggestion, in my circular file. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not saying its not usefull, I'm more railing about the folks who use duration as some sort of test of fitness or manliness'

It is not a test of manliness or fitness. It is an exercise. In that regard, it's like throwing a bunch of side kicks. It's an exercise to improve your ability. It takes time, it doesn't all happen over night, in the same way that one session of throwing side kicks will not give you perfect side kicks.

If you can only hold your horse for thirty seconds, then that is where you start. Build it gradually. If you can only throw thirty side kicks of high quality, then that is where you start. Build it gradually.

I personally don't have time to stand in horse for hours, or one hour, or half an hour. I was routinely doing about six minutes in deep horse, after a 3-5 mile run. It was good strength and conditioning for my legs. I also routinely would do other leg and stance drills, to help me develop useful skills with that strength, as I described in an earlier post.

The ability to hold the stance is not the purpose. The exercise builds your strength and stamina, which is then useful. That is the purpose.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not a test of manliness or fitness. It is an exercise. In that regard, it's like throwing a bunch of side kicks. It's an exercise to improve your ability. It takes time, it doesn't all happen over night, in the same way that one session of throwing side kicks will not give you perfect side kicks.

If you can only hold your horse for thirty seconds, then that is where you start. Build it gradually. If you can only throw thirty side kicks of high quality, then that is where you start. Build it gradually.

I personally don't have time to stand in horse for hours, or one hour, or half an hour. I was routinely doing about six minutes in deep horse, after a 3-5 mile run. It was good strength and conditioning for my legs. I also routinely would do other leg and stance drills, to help me develop useful skills with that strength, as I described in an earlier post.

The ability to hold the stance is not the purpose. The exercise builds your strength and stamina, which is then useful. That is the purpose.
we are just going round in circles, the only skill it gives is an ability to do longer horse stance's. The strengh it builds is only useful for doing more/ longer horse stance

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we are just going round in circles, the only skill it gives is an ability to do longer horse stance's. The strengh it builds is only useful for doing more/ longer horse stance
Then I refer you back to my earlier post, #41 in this thread. Please review the advice freely given at that point in the discussion.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'll try to upload them this week to youtube and I'll post the link here. Then I'll take it down after you have had a chance to see it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a lot of traditional places you always see them saying drop your stances but when they do it their stances are quite high. I don't see any value to having a super low stance a good one yes but not one where your knees are nearly touching the floor. I mean look at boxers or mma fighters the majority don't use super low stances and yet they can still hit and have good balance

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a lot of traditional places you always see them saying drop your stances but when they do it their stances are quite high. I don't see any value to having a super low stance a good one yes but not one where your knees are nearly touching the floor. I mean look at boxers or mma fighters the majority don't use super low stances and yet they can still hit and have good balance
Nobody is advocating that you get into a deep stance and then stay there while fighting.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody is advocating that you get into a deep stance and then stay there while fighting.
well what the point of practising them then.
no body advocates' balancing a banana on you head whilst fighting,therefore no one practises banana balancing

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well what the point of practising them then.
no body advocates' balancing a banana on you head whilst fighting,therefore no one practises banana balancing
I again invite you to review my advice to you in post #41.

Latest Discussions