How has training martial arts changed your life?

kilo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Ah, but can you dance any better?

If you mean stick to uke ... I mean my partner better then yes, yes I can.:) Or if you meant by myself then again yes, yes I can. :) How ever if you ment with a person of the female variety then no, no I cant. :(

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by kilo
If you mean stick to uke ... I mean my partner better then yes, yes I can.:) Or if you meant by myself then again yes, yes I can. :) How ever if you ment with a person of the female variety then no, no I cant. :(
Yes, I meant the, "Excuse me, but would you like to dance... May I buy you a drink... What's your name?" variety of dancing.

OP
R

Reprobate

I used to need a lot of force to break people and I'd break into a sweat, but since I studied aikido I can break people without breaking into a sweat, which is a good thing, since my washing machine broke and I have to wash everything by hand.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Reprobate
I used to need a lot of force to break people and I'd break into a sweat, but since I studied aikido I can break people without breaking into a sweat, which is a good thing, since my washing machine broke and I have to wash everything by hand.
Sweating during training isn't a bad thing; it's a sign of health.

OP
R

Reprobate

I know, but I wasn't talking about training.

I would just travel by public transport and break someone's arm and have to go back home to change my clothes. Now I can break a couple of arms and still be fresh when I arrive at work. All thanks to the effortless techniques of aikido.

OP
L

liangzhicheng

Kudos to Rachel :D

Perhaps it's time I answer my own question...
How training Wu Style Tai Chi has changed my life:
1. More relaxed, mentally and physically
2. More alert
3. More confident
4. Much greater body awareness
5. Kinder
6. Better able to see things from other points of view
7. Less frequently respond defensively or with anger
8. A whole lot more.

I think that training Tai Chi has made me a much better person, and I only keep improving the more I train (maybe that explains why I train so much ;))

And yes, I can dance better :asian: :D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
um... I started training at age 10, so I really don't remember what life was like without the martial arts.

OP
T

twinkletoes

I started at age 8.

Martial arts training made me taller :D

~TT

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by twinkletoes
I started at age 8.

Martial arts training made me taller :D

~TT

And caused you to go through puberty as well! ;)

OP
L

liangzhicheng

Did it cause you to fall in love as well? ;)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Arts and the value's that intails it has been what I grew up on. When there was enough disfunction in my home to really have screwed me up; but instead of turning to drugs, crime, or something negative, I relied on training to clear my head and to keep me sane enough to not end up in jail. I started when I was seven yrs old. I have a better life now then when I was growing up, however, and I do have other things to turn too now for help. Martial Arts, however, remains one of these core things.

A secondary thing is that it has been landmark in my physical developement as well. I was born with quite a few disabilities, such as vision problems, walking with a limp, and overall lack of spacial awareness. That was why my parents enrolled me, to get better cordination. I wanted to join because I was getting beat up a lot, and I needed to learn how to block with something other then my face. By middle school I had worked out all of my disabilities, and I had some corrective work done on my eyes, so the "lazy eye" thing was cured, even though I am still legally blind w/o correction. I was a starting football and wrestler in both middle school and high school. People usually see me as very athletic to this day, but they don't know what it took to get that way. I believe that if it wasn't for Martial Arts, I would still have many of the disabiliteis that I had when i was a kid.

OP
T

twinkletoes

And caused you to go through puberty as well!

Yes, it seems that training in martial arts made my [ahem] unit bigger. :D

Boy, if that isn't the best marketing scheme ever, I don't know what is! If that gets on a flyer, I will have more students than I know what to do with.

~TT

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I have learnt a lot! My confidence has improved marginally though the prospect of violence still scares me at least now I have so many options.
I have become more disciplined to the point where I want more classes to train in as I have started training twice a week as I only used to go once a week! I feel I'm getting more confident at taking the class warm ups as hard as they are when you have to think on the spot! And also I have learnt to carry on when I am in pain. I still kept on sparring when I dislocated my thumb and didn't stop my training! I was even going to classes when I was seriously ill with Anaemia. Also I don't get angry when I have sparred and will generally compliment people on their techniques!
But I also have to say that I am still very much a shy person and I would like to work on becoming more assertive and more confident in using my skills if ever I had need of them!

OP
B

Black Bear

Did you used to use exclamation marks all the time before you did MA!

Seems a lot of people have had health and fitness benefits. Me too for sure.

Another thing is that violence is a natural part of life. As civilized people we don't talk about it or have it as part of our experience very much, but it's always there, under the radar. Physical force, in a sense, trumps the other cards, though it's rarely played.

When we learn to fight, we demystify this realm. We know what we can and can't do. It expands our understanding of life, and the world. We have a fuller picture. As martial artists, we get to fear personal violence in much the same way as we fear being run over by a car when we cross the street. It's a familiar fear, a manageable fear, as opposed to fear of the unknown. Very different. It just takes a year or so of part-time training, and doing a little of one's own side reading and stuff, to kind of get your head around a lot of these issues which would otherwise be completely nebulous to you. And then you can go on to other things, like learning Thai cooking. Or if you're sick, like us here on the forum, you'll take it up as a hobby. :EG:

Latest Discussions