How has training martial arts changed your life?

L

liangzhicheng

Just what the subject says. Has your life gotten better, have you changed as a person? Please share your experiences.

*I apologize if there have been other threads like this, but I didn't find any

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the main thing martial arts has changed in me is my self-confidence.

The other thing is that even though I was never a bully-type of person to begin with- the martial arts helped me to see the value in avoiding a fight whenever possible.

I think it has also made me a more disciplined person in other areas of my life- outside of the dojo.

Good question- thanks!! Am interested to see the answers of others.

:asian: :karate:

OP
A

Astra

Self-confidence obviously and the added bonus of better coordination.

Plus I tend to not ***** every time I feel the slightest pain anymore ;)

OP
T

twinkletoes

The biggest change that MA training gave me was the realization that I am in total control of my life. Any changes I want are my own responsibility, and are entirely within my grasp if I take responsibility for them.

~TT

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by twinkletoes
The biggest change that MA training gave me was the realization that I am in total control of my life. Any changes I want are my own responsibility, and are entirely within my grasp if I take responsibility for them.

~TT

That's a great post. I agree 100%. I will also add that it has helped me physically. When I was younger I was very active with sports and other activities. Then for the past couple of years I stopped playin sports altogether. I got into MA last year and am probably in the best shape of my life or at least the best shape I've been in for a few years.

:asian:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Training has helped my overall controll of my body, helped make me more assertive when i need to speak up, gives me a sense of pride teaching others learn and improve, and improved my confidence in that i know that i can apply the same steps that i used to become a blackbelt to anything else that i want to achieve. Set goals, find a good mentor(s), good honest hard work, monitor your progress and make refinements as you go, set new goals after achieving original goals.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MA training gave me the motivation to work on my overall fitness. I added conditioning and weight training to my regular lifestyle solely to improve my fighting performance. It let me achieve a fitness level that I haven't had since about my early twenties (about ten years.).

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started to early to notice a change but I know it has helped me with self esteem, confidence and it also saved my but in a few self defence scituations.

OP
P

pknox

It has given me greater fitness and confidence, inspired me to watch my nutrition, and encouraged me to investigate areas of philosophy and history that I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't studied MA. Plus it has allowed to meet many interesting people.

OP
B

Billy

I started Kenpo after taking my daughter to classes, and seeing how much more confidence it gave her in standing up to school bullies. She is no longer bullied, not by returning aggression to her aggressors, but by knowing that she can do it if she needs to.
Since joining myself, I have a better attitude towards a lot of things, and being able to train with my daughter to some extent has improved what was already a good relationship. (I wish my wife would take it up)
I have also got myself a job after a long time unemployed, thanks somewhat to that change in perspective. I suppose it's safe to say that I've changed a lot in only a few months.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doing kempo has given me greater self confidence. I also exercise more because of it. I work out at the gym. I try to eat healthy. The bad thing is my husband feels very threatened that I do martial arts. That's his problem not mine. Our marriage is pretty much over anyway but I think he preferred me meek. I'm still on the quiet side and working on it but he can't bully me like he used to and I credit Kempo for that,

OP
T

twinkletoes

Originally posted by rachel
...my husband feels very threatened that I do martial arts. That's his problem not mine. Our marriage is pretty much over anyway but I think he preferred me meek. I'm still on the quiet side and working on it but he can't bully me like he used to and I credit Kempo for that,

WOW. That is the best testimonial I have ever heard.

You sound really healthy. It sounds as though you have processed this whole thing, and come out stronger.

I am totally inspired! Thank you for posting!

~TT

OP
K

KanoLives

I have the honor of training with Rachel and her passion for Kempo and the MAs is trully inspiring. :D I never met her before training, but from when I did until now she has definitely grown into a person of more passion and power. Way to go Rachel. See ya tonight in class. :D :asian:

OP
T

twinkletoes

I just realized that CT is representin' around here! Coooooool.

~TT

kilo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont walk the same anymore. Most people will bob up and down when they walk and I've stoped doing that.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by kilo
I dont walk the same anymore. Most people will bob up and down when they walk and I've stoped doing that.
Have you stopped as well? :D

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

1. At 34, I'm mor physically fit than I've ever been. I have muscles in my arms, yo! I also lost ten pounds (okay, I was already pretty thin, but that's still pretty nice), and my flexibility and strength are constantly improving. I eat better because I'm concerned about how my diet affects my karate.

2. I was on drugs for severe anxiety and mild Tourettes for two years before starting karate. All the exercise (I take 5-7 hour-long classes every week and try to practice 45 mins - 1 hour every day) plus the mental/meditative aspects have made me so much calmer that I was able to discontinue the anxiety meds this past December. It's been eight months, and I haven't had a panic attack -- and that's saying a lot.

Also, the Tourette's meds were messing with the motor control in my hands, which made it hard to manipulate sai (as well as screwing up my handwriting). So I talked to my doc, and just a couple of weeks ago I tapered off that med. So far, so good. I believe the karate is heping to control the Tourette's symptoms.

3. Our dojo kun (5 rules for living the karate way) inspired me to start volunteering at a local no-kill cat shelter. I've been there for about 10 months now.

4. I used to be deathly afraid of public speaking. I even tried joining Toastmasters (a public speaking club) for several months, but no cigar. Having to perform in front of others in karate (and sometimes having to teach others) has taught me how to control my fear and get over my shyness in front of groups. I've been doing book signings and talks at local bookstores recently, and they've been going great! (Granted, my co-author is there with me, but still...).

So...do you think karate has dome anything for me? Nah... ;->

OP
G

gojukylie

:) Since starting karate, my outlook on life has really changed. I am aware of my eating habits, I exercise almost everyday, I stretch and I am so much more relaxed and calm. I have become more confident and my overall health is 50 x better. I used to have a few smokes and drink a bit, and now I can't bare to touch it. Overall I can honestly say that everything about me has improved since starting Karate. I have great friends that I have met through my Dojo and I am having the best time of my life so far. Best thing I have ever done.:D

Latest Discussions