How good was Bruce Lee??

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about this high quality rooting...

Well... I'll be in Norway next year........

with my son and partner I hasten to add lol!

I'm guessing you looked up the Aussie meaning :ultracool

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Q. Why is an Aussie man like a wombat ?

A. Because he eats , roots and leaves.

Q. What is an Aussie man's idea of foreplay ?

A. You awake Beryl ?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well... I'll be in Norway next year........

with my son and partner I hasten to add lol!

I'm guessing you looked up the Aussie meaning :ultracool

Aussie meanings usually have something to do with sheep.
sAni_sheep.gif

Should I bring one when you visit?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As I understand it Jet Li excelled in his martial studies as a child, which is why he went on to tour with his group (didn't know he met Pres Nixon!) and went on to stardom in the HK film industry. Don't know about Jackie Chan.

Interestingly with Bruce Lee, while he had a great deal of respect amongst the Western Martial Arts community, you have to remember that Kung Fu hadn't existed in the US for that long when he brought it to the masses, so I wonder if it might be a case of "Wow! I've never seen anything like that before!".

Certainly I've read of a number of Martial Arts teachers who came over from HK and mainland China before or at the same time as Bruce Lee who didn't think much of his ability. For me the key is that an arrogance and desire to prove himself seemed to be what Bruce Lee was all about.

I actually wrote a small piece about how Bruce Lee may not have been as good as people thought the other day. The main point is looking at the fight between Wong Jack Man and Bruce Lee, and how the two men approached it. One looking to kill as they would do traditionally in China, the other more concious of the laws in the US.
Yet he was a tremendously popular movie start on asia before his movies broke in the west.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I understand it Jet Li excelled in his martial studies as a child, which is why he went on to tour with his group (didn't know he met Pres Nixon!) and went on to stardom in the HK film industry. Don't know about Jackie Chan.

Interestingly with Bruce Lee, while he had a great deal of respect amongst the Western Martial Arts community, you have to remember that Kung Fu hadn't existed in the US for that long when he brought it to the masses, so I wonder if it might be a case of "Wow! I've never seen anything like that before!".

Certainly I've read of a number of Martial Arts teachers who came over from HK and mainland China before or at the same time as Bruce Lee who didn't think much of his ability. For me the key is that an arrogance and desire to prove himself seemed to be what Bruce Lee was all about.

I actually wrote a small piece about how Bruce Lee may not have been as good as people thought the other day. The main point is looking at the fight between Wong Jack Man and Bruce Lee, and how the two men approached it. One looking to kill as they would do traditionally in China, the other more concious of the laws in the US.
Yes like Steve BJJ says. Bruce's movies were released and broke box office records in China. They did not make it to the states until later. If my memory serves me correctly it was not until Enter the Dragon that he became famous here and then his movies were re-released.

Also you seem to take only one side of the story and go with that. I wonder how much of that story is twisted due to jealousy? I think it be better to say I don't know but here's one story told by one person that can't be proven either. We just don't know if any is true or if one is true then which one?

Heavenly Glory

White Belt
Reaction score
However, there are a couple interviews I've seen with executives who were present on the set of Bruce's movies.

One tells of some Muay Thai fighters on the set of Big Boss who decided Bruce was "just an actor" and one challenged him. Bruce proceeded to beat the crap out of him.

Another was a guy on the set of Enter the Dragon. Used his big mouth, questioning Bruce's abilities - again Bruce provided the proof that he could indeed, "fight". I've also seen/read Bob wall describing this encounter saying that Lee "kicked the hell out of him".

Lee was also challenged a number of times while in HK during film production. He is reported to have taken some of these guys on and comprehensively tonked them.

I actually have the documentary recorded somewhere - I'll see if I can dig it out and provide the title so anyone wishing to, can see the interviews for themselves.

The documentary was called "Bruce Lee: The Intercepting Fist" and was shown on Discovery Shed back in Jan/Feb 2010.

Someone has uploaded it to YouTube. Part one :

You'll find subsequent parts in the suggestions bar down the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes like Steve BJJ says. Bruce's movies were released and broke box office records in China. They did not make it to the states until later. If my memory serves me correctly it was not until Enter the Dragon that he became famous here and then his movies were re-released.
Enter the dragon is of note for a number of reasons. For one, Lee apparently wanted to express his philosophy of JKD in the context of that movie.

Secondly, and in the big picture, more importantly, Enter the dragon opened up the western world to the idea that an MA movie with a non-western lead actor could be viable.

Daniel

MartialStudy

White Belt
Reaction score
My point regarding his popularity amongst those from HK and china was specifically those in the MA scene, not the film industries - it's difficult for anyone to say he wasn't successful AND amazing in both eastern and western cinema!

Also you seem to take only one side of the story and go with that. I wonder how much of that story is twisted due to jealousy? I think it be better to say I don't know but here's one story told by one person that can't be proven either. We just don't know if any is true or if one is true then which one?

I agree that it's practically impossible to know what happened that night, but I think I do acknowledge in the article that due to Mr Woo's lack of success, his story is laced with bitterness. I think the point I really wanted to get across is that rarely do people talk about how thuggish Bruce Lee appears to have been.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a young man, I watched every one of his movies. Bruce Lee was an inspiration in every sense of the word, and was instrumental in influencing martial arts in a positive way. Could he act, no. Could he fight, yes.:asian:

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comming from some one who trained and grew up in that era. First he inspired many of us to train in MA who knew little at the time. What I can tell you is what I know. He was an obsesive trainer over training so much that to sleep he self medicated with Canabus extract very high in THC which causes thrombosis and was treated in hospitals for this. Since I know a fair amount about movie production He was so fast with his feet that at 24 frames per second analog film it had to be slowed down or it was just a blur, other things such as the jumps over the fence and knunchuka were sped up. He was challenge on the movie sets and outside typical with a toe tap and he never refused and was considerate to those who showed respect and beat a few badly that did not.

How he died?
If you know anything about ChiGong the Chinese were very jelous of that knowledge and did not want it taught to any non Chinese he would teach anyone for money or who he loved. He had a large ego and possibly sustained a head injury and self medicated which caused an anurism or as one report the one person who he seemed to beat used that as a tool to get inside for DinMak which he reported 12 hours later to be burning up which coinsides with the cycle of the body on 12 and 24 hour highs and lows. There is some negative Karma that took his son too?? seems like to much of anything can hurt you? My one good personal freind that was a world champion fighter said he was a fraud copying the Navy boxing hand book to creat his style?? I love him he inspired many and called bs on alot of tradition that did not work.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so much that to sleep he self medicated with Canabus extract very high in THC which causes thrombosis and was treated in hospitals for this.
Can you provide a source or link or reference to this claim?

If you know anything about ChiGong the Chinese were very jelous of that knowledge and did not want it taught to any non Chinese he would teach anyone for money or who he loved
Can you provide proof that Bruce Lee knew Qigong(and what type) taught Qigong(again what type) and proof that Chinese were jealous of him teaching this. Please provide a source or a link or a reference.

Also note Qigong texts were published in English at least a hundred years or more by such writers as John Dudgeon,James Legge among many others.

for DinMak which he reported 12 hours later to be burning up which coinsides with the cycle of the body on 12 and 24 hour highs and lows
Please provide a name of a person a link a reference or source to this claim.

My one good personal freind that was a world champion fighter said he was a fraud copying the Navy boxing hand book to creat his style?? I
Can you provide the name of the hand book?

century bob

White Belt
Reaction score
Watch the movie from 1993: Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story.

He was pretty damn good :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Comming from some one who trained and grew up in that era. First he inspired many of us to train in MA who knew little at the time. What I can tell you is what I know. He was an obsesive trainer over training so much that to sleep he self medicated with Canabus extract very high in THC which causes thrombosis and was treated in hospitals for this. Since I know a fair amount about movie production He was so fast with his feet that at 24 frames per second analog film it had to be slowed down or it was just a blur, other things such as the jumps over the fence and knunchuka were sped up. He was challenge on the movie sets and outside typical with a toe tap and he never refused and was considerate to those who showed respect and beat a few badly that did not.

How he died?
If you know anything about ChiGong the Chinese were very jelous of that knowledge and did not want it taught to any non Chinese he would teach anyone for money or who he loved. He had a large ego and possibly sustained a head injury and self medicated which caused an anurism or as one report the one person who he seemed to beat used that as a tool to get inside for DinMak which he reported 12 hours later to be burning up which coinsides with the cycle of the body on 12 and 24 hour highs and lows. There is some negative Karma that took his son too?? seems like to much of anything can hurt you? My one good personal freind that was a world champion fighter said he was a fraud copying the Navy boxing hand book to creat his style?? I love him he inspired many and called bs on alot of tradition that did not work.

Coming from another one who trained and grew up in that era....huh?

Qi Gong...Bruce was Wing Chun and various other fighting arts but as far as I know not Qi Gong.

I am with Oaktree here....sources please.

Beyond that this sounds like a whole lot of Theory and conjecture based on rumors and myth.

maft

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

In eyes he was definitely a martial arts legend, he did bong MA closer to people and made it very acceptable.
He was, with out the doubt, great technician and very fast.

Anyway, I guess we shall never know how good he was in today's standards.

Cheers,

maft

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey,

In eyes he was definitely a martial arts legend, he did bong MA closer to people and made it very acceptable.
He was, with out the doubt, great technician and very fast.

Anyway, I guess we shall never know how good he was in today's standards.

Cheers,

maft
Definitely. Without Lee, we would not have had many of the movies that I love today. In my opinion, Norris, Chan, VanDamme, Segal, Lundgren, and Li would not have been able to become major stars without Bruce Lee breaking the ground first.

Daniel

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely. Without Lee, we would not have had many of the movies that I love today. In my opinion, Norris, Chan, VanDamme, Segal, Lundgren, and Li would not have been able to become major stars without Bruce Lee breaking the ground first.

Daniel

*sigh*

We could only have hoped to be as lucky as to miss them... but we're stuck with them now.

Latest Discussions