how do you side-kick?

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The great grand master of kickboxing and karate fighting Joe Lewis taught a lot of us "TRACO" = TRACY/CONNER circa 70s 80s guys how to do the side kick, many senior instructors at TRACO had been to one or more of his seminars, he was a legend at TRACO as one can imagine, I have a couple of personal photos of him from that era (one is a seminar I was lucky enough to attended another is when he visited my instructors dojo when he was younger = mid 70s ) . His side kick also removes the telegraph, but at the same time had the proper thrust. It's a shame he is no longer with us, even though I only meet him 1 time ( I was 19 yrs old ) he really impressed me. I take my side kick every where I go, I never know when I might need it.!!!!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The great grand master of kickboxing and karate fighting Joe Lewis taught a lot of us "TRACO" = TRACY/CONNER circa 70s 80s guys how to do the side kick, many senior instructors at TRACO had been to one or more of his seminars,....................../QUOTE]

After attending a Seminar which he was part of along with Bill Wallace and Jeff Smith I liked it so much I had an opportunity to host him for a Seminar. Good stuff. Bought his tapes and attended his seminar again when I had the chance.

Jujutsuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually never thought about it as either/or (either the heel or the edge of the foot). I usually just hit with the entire bottom of the foot in order to turn it into a stomp kick. (I mostly did this out of necessity because I really wanted to hurt my attackers' ribs in order to do the most damage.)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually never thought about it as either/or (either the heel or the edge of the foot). I usually just hit with the entire bottom of the foot in order to turn it into a stomp kick. (I mostly did this out of necessity because I really wanted to hurt my attackers' ribs in order to do the most damage.)

If you wanted to do the most damage, spreading the impact over the entire sole of your foot, rather than concentrating it into a smaller area, was a mistake.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting responses. When I studied TKD, I was taught primarily the heel or the ball of the foot, depending on the kick and target. We were cautioned to be sure we learned to keep the toes back out of harm. For a heel kick, we pointed the toes downward.

In the Hapkido I studied, we used heel and ball of feet, but more often the upper instep in place of the ball of the foot. Takes some training and getting used to.

Reaction score
That's for you to figure out. While you're sparring, try a bunch of different side kicks and see which one fits you the most.

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a Taekwondo side kick, but I'll try to describe how I personally perform a side-kick.

1. Spot my target. Preferable a low target, such as the groin or the knees; this will deliver maximum damage with minimum effort, while at the same time protecting my leg from an easy grab and take down on the behalf of my opponent.

2. Staring front on at my opponent will be called "12 O'Clock" for descriptive purposes; I lower my body profile, centering it over my hips, keeping my solar plexus aligned over top of them; the body's center point of gravity. This provides me a strong foundation, and protects me from being pushed over too easily. In the same movement, I pivot with my strong leg towards 6 O'Clock, with my dominant foot pointed closer to 5 O'Clock for better balance. At the same time, I'm pulling my non-dominant knee up towards my chest. My upper body is now horizontal to the floor, and my weight is balanced on my dominant leg, with the other leg poised to strike.

3. Using my arms to help maintain balance, I now take my eyes/peripheral vision off of my target site for a split second, visualizing a straight line from 12 O'Clock to 6 O'Clock, moving my head towards 6 O'Clock and elongating my torso while snapping my raised leg out straight along the imaginary line to my target site, driving with my hips like a swivel and moving my arm to the rear to give the kick more momentum.

4. Immediately recoiling my kick, I spin around the opposite direction that I originally pivoted, while simultaneously raising my arm up and wrapping my hand around the back of my head, flexing the muscles in my arm and assuming a lower, tighter profile. This will protect me in the event my opponent is unaffected by the devastating kick I just delivered, and comes at me with an immediate strike to my face or torso. Chances are my opponent will either be on the floor (if I took out their knee cap) or hunched over in a "tummy ache position" (if I took out their nether-regions). Both positions are ideal for me to immediately follow up with a finishing move to destroy my opponent, assuring that they won't be able to pose any more of a threat to me; either a ground and pound, or downward elbow strikes to the back of their head if they've assumed the tummy-ache position, then a supplex through the nearest wall.

Last edited:

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
....And a running, flying jump kick if they happen to get up after being bludgeoned and supplexed through the wall.....that'd be a scary opponent hahaha. Like "The Russian" from the Punisher movie. XD

Last edited:

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure ball striking's only real use is framing for a better strike, or to score points. I throw with the heel and generally only to the body, not that I'm not flexible but, the more straight the angle, the less wasted energy is what I felt.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lift kicking leg, pivot 180 degrees on non kicking foot, extend kick out to target, pull kick back, land on ground and in-pivot other non kicking foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have always kicked using the blade of the foot. When I've tried using the heel I have found it to have less impact and for me, it's much harder to be precise with your kick

Latest Discussions