Is one hour a week worth it?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok so here is my problem.

As some of you may know I am switching from sports TKD to Shotokan Karate around the first of the year. The big issue I have is, the Shotokan school is open only two days a week, and I will only be able to make classes one of those two days. Classes are one hour long. So I would be getting 4 hours, 5 hours tops, of instructor based training a month. Is this even worth the time? I am also thinking of enrolling my two oldest kids, ages 7 and 4 as well. Would this be worth it for them? Keep in mind I am use to five or six days a week for two or three hours a night.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoa..That's a toughie....One day a week??? I know the old adage of training is training , but only one day a week....Speaking ONLY for myself, it isn't worth it..2 days wouldn't be bad, that's how I started way back in my Shorin-Ryu days...

OP
Jai

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what I thought too. I remember way back when I was going to three 45 minute classes a week. Still more then twice what this would be. For myself I'm not so much worried, it's more the kids. What are they going to get out of and actually remember? Shotokan isn't an area I have stuided so I would be no help inbetween to keep things fresh.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I guess any training or amount of time in training is better then no training, now as far as the money (if that is a consideration in your decision/question), I won't even attempt to make a comment on that.

So in my final conclusion, any amount of training is better then nothing.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a hard question to answere
If yo think betwee allof you that the material will be rememberd then yes go for it. Keep good notes made right after class and remember to practice each day . Maybe working out with other members of the class would be an option also. Its worth checking into

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on what you want. If this class is teaching what you want to learn, then 1 hour a week is better than nothing. Also, remember that outside practice is necessary to progress - so if you're used to training that much, how much can you train on your own? And will it be enough to offset the instructor-based training you wouldn't be getting?

As far as your kids go - once a week at their ages might be about right, but not knowing your kids, I can't say.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would hold off on the kids. Four is far too young to be in a martial arts class. If you have a kid who can't tie his shoes or ride a two wheel bike yet, why put him in a class where Japanese terminology, arm breaks, and forms are the main thing being taught? Also, if you enroll a four year old, when do you think that kid will drop out? Personally, I say they might make it to five or six years old but no more than that. Yes, you could name exceptions, but those exeptions represent one out of every couple of hundred kids who enroll in martial arts.
The seven year old is iffy. That would depend on the individual kid. I make students wait until they are ten years old before I teach them (but I have let a few 8 year olds slip in due to their maturity).

As for you, an hour per week is better than nothing. Also, could you set up a practice group with some of your classmates? That would be great supplemental learning.

AoG

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me put a different spin on it for you, if it was just you I would say yes your an adult and can most likely retain the info. but two sons 7-5 one day a week they will never be able to grade with one day a week and if they did grade would they really understand what wa tought to them. I really doubt it. For me it is not worth it, find another shotakon school and try them.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, TKD was developed from Shotokan so you'll have a base already. Your progress will be slowed at one hour per week so if you have another option you should probably consider it. But, it's not so little that I'd say don't bother. You already know how to use your between-class time to develop...and can practice with your kids.

Can you add on another martial art that you can get to an hour a week also? At least it'd keep your interest and enthusiasm up. That's the big challenge--you're moving from a being coached situation to motivating yourself.

I concur that if your kids can only make it once/week then that's probably insufficient for them (as opposed to you). Can someone else take them the other night?

OP
Jai

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you add on another martial art that you can get to an hour a week also? At least it'd keep your interest and enthusiasm up. That's the big challenge--you're moving from a being coached situation to motivating yourself.

I concur that if your kids can only make it once/week then that's probably insufficient for them (as opposed to you). Can someone else take them the other night?

Sadly no and no. There are no other schools within two hours driving distance one way from us. Also my wife has told me that any MA I do or have the kids do will be "my thing". She doesn't want anything to do with it, and I have no family in the area to support me or back me up.

The only other option would be the sports TKD school but they do not take students until 8 years old, and I personally do not wish to return after suffering injuries that will prevent me from further progessing past where I currently am.

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
from a knowledge perspective yes it's worth it. From an actual technique side no probably not. Though this might be a great time to find a second art and diversify a little bit.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly no and no.

I'm sorry to hear this. I know there are some pretty rural areas in MN.

Well, I think you know the answer...it may be time to start teaching yourself. You can modify the art as you see fit and apply your own standards. I taught my son, and my instructor recently promoted him to black belt. Can you work something out with your old school? Their org.? Another org.? You might still want to go to the Karate school for your own growth of course.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids seem, in my experience, to need two classes a week, minimum, as a loose rule. Adults can do OK with 1 longer class a week (I'd question whether one hour is long enough, myself). Kids just don't seem to retain material as well in general without that reinforcement. But I also don't take kids below 10.

I personally think that 7 and 4 are too young, but there are commercial schools that cater to young kids. They have more experience teaching and working with the kids.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally think that 7 and 4 are too young, but there are commercial schools that cater to young kids. They have more experience teaching and working with the kids.

Yes, and while I agree with you regarding serious martial arts training, many of these schools keep the kids interested and active while working some very basic stuff and some age-appropriate (non-physical) self-defense/assertiveness/awareness material until they're ready for the Big Leagues. To my mind, below about 12 years most kids aren't really ready (though there are always exceptions).

Both my kids loved getting to "play with Dad" at martial arts from a young age, though. I kept them interested and developed a few good habits while biding my time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and while I agree with you regarding serious martial arts training, many of these schools keep the kids interested and active while working some very basic stuff and some age-appropriate (non-physical) self-defense/assertiveness/awareness material until they're ready for the Big Leagues. To my mind, below about 12 years most kids aren't really ready (though there are always exceptions).

Both my kids loved getting to "play with Dad" at martial arts from a young age, though. I kept them interested and developed a few good habits while biding my time.
Absolutely. One of my best students is my partner's son. He's been "training" forever, because his mom wouldn't let him play with swords or sticks unless he did it "right."

I don't have a problem with the schools that cater to young kids, or with instructors who choose to do so. I think it's great -- it's just not what I do. That's why I qualified my comment with "personally." The schools that do it often know what they're doing, and they keep the class moving and the kids having having fun. That's cool... Exercise is a good thing.

(I do, as an aside, have major problems with the martial arts daycare programs that avoid regulation by being "martial arts programs" and not calling themselves day care, even though it's what they really are doing. But that's off topic...and worthy of another thread all it's own! Like this one... among others)

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would say pry not worth the money, at least for the children for you its a personal thing cus it depends on how much time outside of the school you are willing to put it.

OP
Jai

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your support and advise and other ideas. The advise will be taking to heart and I'll have to think about this for a few days and have a long talk with the Mrs as to how to handle this.

On a side note, you are all wonderful. Thank you again.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You may ask the teacher if he also does private lessons. I visit my teacher once a week for an hour(Thats all I can afford a week)
You may have to also put in a lot of time when your not in the school into practicing as well. Maybe you can ask the Sensei to have a senior instructor work with your younger kid. Maybe you might have to once a month go 2x's a week to take notes. I think the best thing is to talk to the Sensei of the Dojo and see if you can work something out. You never know maybe someone in the Dojo lives close to you and is looking for training partners. Keep your options open. :)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, the question really needs to be asked; how good are you?

Can you take the information imparted over a single hour, and reinforce it (correctly) over the course of the week? Can you then impart that knowledge to your children, as they try to remember and reinforce the results of their one hour lesson?

One hour a week is plenty, if you can train effectively and efficiently on your own in between times.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, the question really needs to be asked; how good are you?

Can you take the information imparted over a single hour, and reinforce it (correctly) over the course of the week? Can you then impart that knowledge to your children, as they try to remember and reinforce the results of their one hour lesson?

One hour a week is plenty, if you can train effectively and efficiently on your own in between times.

What he said.

Also is there a possibility that after you get up to speed in your new MA that you can form or join a training group of students from this school that want to train more.

Latest Discussions