How Do You Define "Martial Arts?"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 simple words, yet both can have a number of different meanings for people.

So, let the discussion begin. :) How do you define it?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loaded question.

see, i have always put martial arts into a different list than "fighting systems"

boxing is a fighting system, but, IMO, not a martial art

martial art: system of rules and techniques designed to enable the student to deal with combat situations.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loaded question.

see, i have always put martial arts into a different list than "fighting systems"

boxing is a fighting system, but, IMO, not a martial art

martial art: system of rules and techniques designed to enable the student to deal with combat situations.
Boxing is an art. End of story.
Sean

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a pretty open ended definition of martial arts, encompassing any skill or ability when it is practiced with a combat approach or practiced in such a method as to resemble a combat approach. So I include everything from strikes and grapples and demonstration karate and sport karate and fighting karate and combat karate and no contact dance karate. For me, the key point is that it is something that is practiced. So I would not consider a prison inmate who stabbed a fellow prisoner to death a martial artist. But if that same prisoner practiced his stabbing technique over and over, studying and improving his method, then I would consider him a martial artist. And if someone else portrayed that practice in a lecture, or a movie, or a demonstration I would consider that a martial arts related theme.

My martial arts library includes technical manuals on punching and kicking, books on nutrition, fitness, and anatomy, books on achieving a warrior mindstate, books on developing strength, and ki power, and flexibility, books on goal setting, and non verbal communication, and anthropology, history books and yoga books and tumbling books and essays and commentary and picture books. And I consider all of that to be martial arts.

For me, it's the attitude and the practice. Bereft of context, a punch is just a limb projection. If I practice reaching for a can of peas on a grocery shelf all day, that's not martial arts. If I'm always angry and fighting with people, that's not martial arts. But if I practice fighting, that to me is martial arts. No matter what form that practice takes.

-Rob

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts is any fighting system that includes - punching, kicking, submissions, throwdowns, elbows, knees and/or any other part of the body that you can use to protect yourself and destroy your opponent... or is that street fighting?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial Arts is any fighting system that includes - punching, kicking, submissions, throwdowns, elbows, knees and/or any other part of the body that you can use to protect yourself and destroy your opponent... or is that street fighting?

Street fighting is what the other guy, the one that 'attacks' you is doing, what we of course do is martial arts therefore far more dignified. :D

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Street fighting is what the guy that 'attacks' you is doing, what we of course do is martial arts therefore far more dignified. :D
So the question remains - what is the definition of Martial Arts, to you?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

What about weapons? Knives, swords, bows, or guns, etc?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Skills or traditions whose original purpose was for warfare or self-defense.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Art: something taken to a higher level

Martial: derives from Mars, the Roman god of war, and generally understood to mean fighting in some fashion.

Martial art: fighting taken to a higher level.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What about weapons? Knives, swords, bows, or guns, etc?
Different topic... but if weapons are to be included on this thread - I'll take the fighter jet plane with nuclear and atomic bombs and destroy my opponent from a far away distance where I don't have to view the inevitable disaster.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Different topic... but if weapons are to be included on this thread - I'll take the fighter jet plane with nuclear and atomic bombs and destroy my opponent from a far away distance where I don't have to view the inevitable disaster.

I guess it is hard for me to imagine a "martial" art not including weapons, how many wars do you know that were prosecuted by unarmed people?

And yes, flying a fighter jet is certainly a modern martial art.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess it is hard for me to imagine a "martial" art not including weapons, how many wars do you know that were prosecuted by unarmed people?

And yes, flying a fighter jet is certainly a modern martial art.
Really? Aren't there styles that are known as "empty hand"? And I can't think of any wars prosecuted by unarmed people, at the moment, but there have been some where the multitudes have taken to the streets - without arms, in peaceful protest against their own government and won without a single shot being fired. Isn't that what happened in Egypt just recently?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Aren't there styles that are known as "empty hand"? And I can't think of any wars prosecuted by unarmed people, at the moment, but there have been some where the multitudes have taken to the streets - without arms, in peaceful protest against their own government and won without a single shot being fired. Isn't that what happened in Egypt just recently?

No, people died and were wounded. An American reporter was sexually assaulted. People on both sides used weapons. it was a pretty unpleasant time for most.

Actually I like Balrog's definition though I'm not much bothered about defining what I or anyone else does.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, its learning to fight. Just my opinion, but I dont feel that at the inception of the various arts, that they were designed for anything but fighting. As times went on, people began to reap other benefits from them, such as we see today, ie: fitness, inner peace, etc.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, people died and were wounded. An American reporter was sexually assaulted. People on both sides used weapons. it was a pretty unpleasant time for most.
OOOPS! Goes to show how poorly educated we are about the world, outside the US, I'm sorry to say.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO, its learning to fight. Just my opinion, but I dont feel that at the inception of the various arts, that they were designed for anything but fighting. As times went on, people began to reap other benefits from them, such as we see today, ie: fitness, inner peace, etc.
Point well made. I agree.

Latest Discussions