How do I get aggressive?

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ag·gres·sion [uh-gresh-uhn]

1. the action of a state in violating by force the rights of another state, particularly its territorial rights; an unprovoked offensive, attack, invasion, or the like: The army is prepared to stop any foreign aggression.
2. any offensive action, attack, or procedure; an inroad or encroachment: an aggression upon one's rights.
3. the practice of making assaults or attacks; offensive action in general.
4. Psychiatry. overt or suppressed hostility, either innate or resulting from continued frustration and directed outward or against oneself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1605&#8211;15; < L aggressi&#333;n- (s. of aggressi&#333;), equiv. to aggress(us) (see aggress) + -i&#333;n- -ion]

&#8212;Antonyms 1. peacefulness.

I think you are confusing aggression with confidence and being outgoing. Aggression is offensive and hostile.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome, I must admit I used to use the word in the context of pushing yourself forwards a bit, and I've heard it used by other people in that context too but it's not correct usage and on the net things can get a bit wooly and misunderstood if you don't use correct terms. :)

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a definition. I think some of the words used in this one give you a diffrent idea of what the word means or can be used for. I changed some of the fonts on a few key words, such as combative readiness, driving-initiative, strong-intent. I put the link at the bottom so you could find where I got it from.

Main Entry: ag·gres·sive
Pronunciation: &-'gre-siv
Function: adjective
1 a : tending toward or exhibiting aggression <aggressive behavior> b : marked by combative readiness <an aggressive fighter>
2 a : marked by obtrusive energy b : marked by driving forceful energy or initiative : [SIZE=-1]ENTERPRISING[/SIZE] <an aggressive salesman>
3 : strong or emphatic in effect or intent <aggressive colors> <aggressive flavors>
4 : growing, developing, or spreading rapidly <aggressive bone tumors>
5 : more severe, intensive, or comprehensive than usual especially in dosage or extent <aggressive chemotherapy>
- ag·gres·sive·ly adverb
- ag·gres·sive·ness noun
- ag·gres·siv·i·ty /"a-"gre-'si-v&-tE/ noun
synonyms [SIZE=-1]AGGRESSIVE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]MILITANT[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]ASSERTIVE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]SELF-ASSERTIVE[/SIZE] mean obtrusively energetic especially in pursuing particular goals. [SIZE=-1]AGGRESSIVE[/SIZE] implies a disposition to dominate often in disregard of others' rights or in determined and energetic pursuit of one's ends <was taught to be aggressive in his business dealings>. [SIZE=-1]MILITANT[/SIZE] also implies a fighting disposition but suggests not self-seeking but devotion to a cause, movement, or principle <militant protesters held a rally against racism>. [SIZE=-1]ASSERTIVE[/SIZE] suggests bold self-confidence in expression of opinion <the more assertive speakers dominated the forum>. [SIZE=-1]SELF-ASSERTIVE[/SIZE] connotes forwardness or brash self-confidence <a self-assertive young executive climbing the corporate ladder>.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/aggressive

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to add my tuppence into this a while ago, asking the question, in essence, that is "Aggression" really a trait you want to cultivate?

I see, however, that the semantics are already starting to be sorted out, so any words I could put forth about focussing instead upon "confidence" and "steadiness" have become redundant :D.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think lots of people have gone off on a tangent on this one.
i believe bookworm was initially asking how not to be aggressive.

i believe that aggressive and hurtful actions stem from phychological hurt.
therefore, to be aggressive, you need only let the hurt into your heart.

however usefull or enlightening that may be, it is dangerous and thats why all martial arts teach to be non aggressive and completely defensive. i don't think it is impossible. also, it is possible to be gentle. for me, that denotes a great level of control and skill. there are greater challenges that kicking butt especially in controlled settings-where actually people are taking advantage of each other often with little respect.

j

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
How do I get more aggressive in Tae kwon do?
I have a huge problem with being aggressive in class; like, not being aggressive. I'm so used to being quiet & shy in my normal life it kind of leaks over into class. So, I need help!

I agree! (I'll take responsibiliy. I restarted the thread after a while with my recent post) So, here is the original post of the thread for everyone!
icon7.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say being aggressive in this case implies seizing the initiative and being active rather than passive. All the psycho babble about hurt inside and the politically correct statements don`t really apply. Finding "the Tiger inside you" might be the single most important thing in the arts. How to do it? Train, train and train more. Punch the pads with all you got and shake the walls with your Kiai. Release!

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i can fully understand that, however, i still think there are better ways than true aggression.
i think i found the tiger within me when i was around 4 or 5...however, i was not able to use him for much good until i managed to make him human.

just trying to communicate. I'm as much a fighter as the next guy.
i love martial arts. i love the techniques. the perfection of winning and the truth of defeat.

but i don't like when people don't respect each other enough to have honour, even enemies. now that is a reason for me to get aggressive.
just cause i get aggressive doesn't mean i have to do anything at all but speed up my heart maybe act like a clown...
if i want to hurt someone, mess them up or embarass someone, do i really need to be aggressive? if i truly believe in myself and my actions, i think not.
letting the hurt of another into your heart for no reason or gain, is a sign of love(the most dangerous weapon on earth). but to be nonaggressive and still get your actions and message across, thats something amazing.

j

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think lots of people have gone off on a tangent on this one.
i believe bookworm was initially asking how not to be aggressive.

i believe that aggressive and hurtful actions stem from phychological hurt.
therefore, to be aggressive, you need only let the hurt into your heart.

however usefull or enlightening that may be, it is dangerous and thats why all martial arts teach to be non aggressive and completely defensive. i don't think it is impossible. also, it is possible to be gentle. for me, that denotes a great level of control and skill. there are greater challenges that kicking butt especially in controlled settings-where actually people are taking advantage of each other often with little respect.

j

um, actually, the problem is I'm not aggressive enough in class. The question is: How do I get aggressive in class? Like, in sparring, doing poomse, etc.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi bookworm

I'll return to what I said above i.e. I don't think that aggression is a trait that you want to inculcate in yourself (assuming that we mean the same thing when we speak of 'aggression').

Calmness is the key to combat. That and Patience are the legs that techniques stand on.

Now of course, our arts are different but in full-contact sparring I very rarely did more than feign overt attacks with my sparring partner in order to invite stronger attacks from him. Once your opponent has committed to an action, assuming that it wasn't such a good and unanticipated move that it succeeds straight away, your own options are multiplied.

Aggression is a much vaunted emotion in martial arts but I think, as noted in several posts above, what people really mean by 'aggression' is not being timid, not flinching and executing your techniques pro-actively with strength and confidence when the openings present themselves.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shee... I can't imagine what the discussion would've turned to had the thread been titled "How do I get more offensive?" ;)

Context determines the usage, and in part, the definition of the term being used. (As usage is how definitions are derived in the first place) If you know what someone meant, why waste time arguing against an interpretation of meaning that has no relevance?

Back on topic,

Much of gaining initiative/getting aggressive is mental. If you're not confident in your abilities, (this by way of not thinking you're good enough, or simply thinking your opponent is superior and mentally giving them the edge that way) you're going to have a hard time getting off. Studies have shown that martial artists competing in tournaments etc tend to do well when they're feeling good.

One thing that can help with that is not overly dwelling on your mistakes as they happen. If something doesn't work, move on. The more you start thinking about what you did wrong, the tenser you get, and your reaction time decreases. The more your reaction time decreases, the less opportunities for gaining initiative will present themselves. Ends up going back to the whole flow in the now line of thinking which gets trotted out so much in the MA's that people hear it, but dismiss it as cliche or some mysterious, unattainable element of mastery etc.

[email protected]

White Belt
Reaction score
I take it from your animated photo that you are a young lady please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok! let me tell you a story about an overweight kid at age 15 ,pushed around, bullied...

I start Kenpo back in San Jose California with Jim Trevino and Joe Mora these two Instructors brought me out of my shyness and never once said anything to me about losing weight...

What they did do was never talked down to me without knowing it within a month I was feeling better about myself and took every opportunity to workout with someone every day after school.

By the third month I was losing a lot of weight because of the grueling workout classes focused punches ,kicks... at full power just short of locking joints at arms or legs yet knowing my kicks were powerful.

They put me into sparring within only two months and started me slow allowing me not only opportunity again this time to make contact on them to give me a what should we call it uh! umph! to know that my kicks were effective. Now these Instructors were very hard hitters . If anyone out there has ever trained with Jim Trevino or Joe Mora know this to be factual.

The long and the short of this by the end of my sixth month sparring My shyness was gone as to being afraid of being hit that also was gone why you ask? For some reason that in later years I understood there method to transform me and all other students and that was when I was Hit by them at first just love taps yet without me realizing it each time I sparred I was getting hit just a tad more in all areas as to building up my tolerance for taking a punch,kick,elbow... The upside was that I was able not only to dish it out but could take a hit and still go toe to toe.

These two men were very humble and preyed on weak students and turned them into strong confident and able students that could hold there heads high knowing they could walk away from a bully not out of fear for themselves but fear from what they could do to that thug.

I'm so proud to have been under there tuteledge and call them my friends. I have been out of California for many years and have lost touch with them if anyone out there knows of there whereabouts post it so others can avail themselves for there knowledge and wisdom.

Why they have never been recognized in Kenpo Hall of fame is beyond me.

Three noted students of Jim Trevino , Prof. John Sepulveda on the west coast and Prof. Joe polanzo on the east coast and lastly strong heavy weight fighter from Ohio Prof. J. T. Will.

By the way J.T. Will and I started sparring class at the same time.

These three bruisers are well respected for there fighting ability derived from training with Jim, and many ,many more students through the years.

Oh! by the way did I mention along with me John,Joe,J.T. were all gunshy at first , if you do not know that means they also were leary of being hit and look at there fighting careers through the years , who would have beleived the transformation.

I do hope this helped. You just have to find that special teacher that can bring your strengths to the surface without you even realizing it and before you know it you will be teaching others who were just like you in the beginning.

let me know in a few months how you are doing. If you are not satisfied with your current teacher let me know and I will find someone who went through same training as I did with Jim Trevino in your area.
I hope this story helped.

Your Kenpo friend

your Kenpo friend

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best way to do what you want Bookworm is to forget the adjective "agressive" and its connotations which you seem unwilling to apply. Think about your techniques, focus on them, think of perfecting the movement, the speed, the power. Each of these mediums, sparring, poomsae, combinations etc, are designed to perfect them. When you sparring instead of seeing executing your movements as "aggression" see your partner as another person you wants to perfect their own techniques, as a give and take training. You don't want to hurt them, all you want to do is perfect your movements. Don't aim to hit, just close enough to make it realistic to give you the 'feel' of the move. Don't let under confidence strip away your focus, be intent upon that which you are trying to do.Its training, none of this is personal.

In poomsae, just do each movement perfectly, strong and with emphasis, take it slow at first and then speed up, without losing the power behind each movement.

I hope that mind frame helps, if not feel free to disregard it.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Calmness is the key to combat. That and Patience are the legs that techniques stand on.

Aggression is a much vaunted emotion in martial arts but I think, as noted in several posts above, what people really mean by 'aggression' is not being timid, not flinching and executing your techniques pro-actively with strength and confidence when the openings present themselves.

There are two things that are seriously detrimental to the practice of MAs. The first is excessive aggression and the second is over-thinking. Calmness, as Sukerkin has pointed out, is key. When one is calm one can reason and react. When one is too aggressive all thought goes out the window as an attempt to overwhelm one's opponent takes over. Of course one can go the other way and think way too much about techniques, the end result being the creation of complexity where there is none

The best way to do what you want Bookworm is to forget the adjective "agressive" and its connotations which you seem unwilling to apply. Think about your techniques, focus on them, think of perfecting the movement, the speed, the power. Each of these mediums, sparring, poomsae, combinations etc, are designed to perfect them. When you sparring instead of seeing executing your movements as "aggression" see your partner as another person you wants to perfect their own techniques, as a give and take training. You don't want to hurt them, all you want to do is perfect your movements. Don't aim to hit, just close enough to make it realistic to give you the 'feel' of the move. Don't let under confidence strip away your focus, be intent upon that which you are trying to do.Its training, none of this is personal.
There is no doubt that confidence is very important. When you are confident with what you are doing it is simply easier to do. Look at any physical activity. At first there is hesitancy and nervousness as you try to understand how you get your body to do the new activity, but in time understanding and muscle memory kick in and confidence builds.

I think that in a lot of cases a lack of confidence is misinterpreted as a lack of aggression. Its just not necessary to be aggressive to be effective. Personally I think a lot of MAers use aggression to cover up deficiencies in their technique.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that in a lot of cases a lack of confidence is misinterpreted as a lack of aggression. Its just not necessary to be aggressive to be effective. Personally I think a lot of MAers use aggression to cover up deficiencies in their technique.

This is a very good point, and it is one that is frequently overlooked. It's much harder to control your technique and hit just hard enough, than it is to hit as hard as you can every time.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a very good point, and it is one that is frequently overlooked. It's much harder to control your technique and hit just hard enough, than it is to hit as hard as you can every time.

Physically it is not a good plan to just whale away as hard as you can either. That path leads to broken bones. Your own.

Latest Discussions