MMA Special on 60 Minutes Sunday Night

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://tvlistings5.zap2it.com/tvlistings/GridAction.do?fromTimeInMillis=1165795200000

I wonder if it will take a positive spin on MMA or bash it.
It will be on Sunday night at 7 pm Eastern Standard Time.

AoG

The main thing is, they should present it with a bit more accuracy and less hype than usually happens with TV coverage of MAs (Discovery's XMA program, NatGeo's `Fight Science' thing). I wonder why it is that television has such a hard time dealing with the MAs realistically... maybe this will break out of that pattern, eh? We can hope...

... and thanks for the head's-up on the program, AoG!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
my concern is, will it bash traditional martial arts.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was on at the Mexican restaurant I was at with a friend this evening. The part I caught seemed to be respectfully done. It was emphasized that UFC type events were cleaning up their act in order to appeal to a larger audience (and be permitted to take place in the U.S. and run on American TV).

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but wait until someone dies-there are always calls to abolish boxing after someone dies in the ring.....

Yeah, thats very true... Wasn't there a pro-wrestler that died a few years back? was there a call for the end of pro-wrestling?

The part I caught seemed to be respectfully done.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I thought it was very well done too :)

edit- FYI, also found the clips here. Did not look at the other link posted, so not sure how they compare.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was not bad. They spun it as a sport, not suprising that they showed the traditional ring vs. the octagon. Anyway, it wasn't bad. They used Gracie, Hughes and White.

They did a pretty good job overall. The comparison to them vs. boxing was more fitting imo than them vs. judo or tae kwon do.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought that 60Minutes did a nice story. Not a puff pc., or anything outlandish. I thought the interviewees did a nice job too. Enzo Gracie seems to be a pretty focused individual. I absolutely could not believe my eyes. When they showed him getting his arm broken during a past Pride match , and he did'nt even bat an eye.... When Mr.Simon asked him about it. All he(Mr.Gracie) said was he thought he could still fight!!!! YIKES!!! The recent bout they showed between Mr.Gracie, and Mr.Mitlovich(sp?)was well presented as well. I actually thought Mr.Gracie was going to lose. At least after watching the early part of the story, and the 2 different training styles. Goes to show you that technique, and tenacity. Can be a mighty combo... I wonder if Mr.M. did'nt take Mr.Gracie as seriously as he should have?

1stJohn1:9

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank for providing the link above so that I could watch the entire 60 minutes episode on MMA. I thought the show was very good and informative. Having Dana White, Gracie, Militech, etc made it a good show to watch. MMA is certainly on the rise and when stocks go public please everyone let me know.
icon10.gif
I missed the IFC stock going public, maybe I will pick up some stock in it anyway.
icon12.gif
This is the fight sport of the future and soon boxing will be relegated as a minor sport as this continues to grow.

Latest Discussions