How do I get aggressive?

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How do I get more aggressive in Tae kwon do?
I have a huge problem with being aggressive in class; like, not being aggressive. I'm so used to being quiet & shy in my normal life it kind of leaks over into class. So, I need help!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you talking about sparring, or something more general?

The best way to become more aggressive is to be certain of your technique - if you know what you're doing, and are confident in your skills, then you can become more aggressive because you will be more certain of what you're doing.

Also, talk to somoene in your class you could practice with - someone who will let you take the lead in a safer situation where you know exactly what is going to happen, and then work your way out from there.

Good luck!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a huge problem with being aggressive in class; like, not being aggressive. I'm so used to being quiet & shy in my normal life it kind of leaks over into class. So, I need help!

Is your lack of aggressiveness based (to some degree, at least) on your fear that you may hurt your training partner, or if not hurt, then at least `impose on them' to some degree? Or is it the case that the lack of aggressiveness you're referring to involves execution of techniques that aren't necessarily involved in 1-to-1 training---like, do you only kick half-heartedly when you're working on kicking drills, that sort of thing?

It would help to have a bit more detail on just how this lack of aggressiveness manifests itself...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure you are not confusing aggression and anger. They are two diffwerent things and should be looked at seperately.

Which are we talking about?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To a very large degree, being aggressive is a trait that folks are born with. That's not to say that it can't be learned, but that would also include some modification to your inner self, which can only be accomplished by you. Now I'm assuming your trying to be more aggressive within the confines of your TKD sparring and that will come, believe it or not, with continued contact. If you continue with your training/sparring, you will get tired of being hit. You will encounter some anger, which in turn, will/should transpose itself into controlled aggression. I have seen it numerous times, from many students. The key factor here is "continued training" and not getting over frustrated and quiting. You will find yourself taking the fight to the other person and you won't even realize that you are doing it.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OMG!!!! I have a story (those who know me are now allowed to roll there eyes and say "when doesn't the loser have a story").
So the big ugly kid, who has almost always been bigger and stronger then his classmates, is the same way. I'd be that kid sitting in the back, not talking, just hoping to be ignored. I started doing karate in 6th grade and by eigth I was just anouther outgoing kid. When I did kata, I would redo a move a thousand times if needed to do a technique right. From doing this I became able to learn techniques with ease. I can, to degrees, learn very advanced level moves from haveing them done to me once or twice in a sparring match. I also became able to come with a unique counter to any strategy through my way.
But I still did poorly in sparring. I retreated alot, bent away, looked away, and anything else you think of, and then some. Now I'm in 11th grade, and I'm just now getting over it. I fought like a shy kid for a few reasons. Partly out of fear of getting hurt myself, partly out of fear of hurting my opponent, partly out of still being shy and very none-confrentational. It was a month ago I took a giant step forward, and started to truelly push forward.
The first step, drill techniques, combanations, and kata that don't have retreating components. (builds muscle memory)
If that fails, after every match do 5 push ups for every time you did something bad. (negitive reinforcement)
If that fails, take your self out for a treat every time you do well. (positive reinforcement)
If that fails, just attack. When the match begins, drive forward. Don't let your opponent breath, don't let them think, just keep attacking until the match is over and you are pulled off your opponent. (desperation)

But don't just try these out once or twice. Try it over a period of two or three months. Or even in combination. (the first and fourth work well together)

After a long enough amount of time, any problems you have built up will work them selves out. Good luck, and you know what, the shy kids are the power behind the king. :asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just attack. When the match begins, drive forward. Don't let your opponent breath, don't let them think, just keep attacking until the match is over and you are pulled off your opponent. (desperation)

This point is maybe the most important of all. A lot of times relentlessness will defeat your opponent where cleverness and elegant technique get nowhere. You're not just targetting your opponents' limbs, but their minds as well---that's often where the match is won or lost.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but when I read the topic, my mind immediately went to the movie "Cool Runnings" and that scene where Yul Brynner is giving Junior a pep talk, telling him to "look in the mirror, what do you see?" ...."Junior?" ... "No Mon! I see Pride! I see Power! I see one bad mother that don't take **** from nobody!" .... "you really see all that?" .... "Ya mon! Now tell yourself the same thing!"

Funny scene to be sure but it is true in one sense and one method to gain aggressiveness in yourself. It can only come from within!

Of course this isn't to say to go into the Dojo's bathroom... psyche yourself up and come out starting a fight with everyone! :lol:

But simply, for aggression to be on the outside... it's got to come from the inside... same with being gentle and passive.

Oh, and CuongNhuka; what gives you the right to call yourself a "loser" ?? Even in a joking way? :asian:

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Brad Dunne hit it on the head. Make sure you're not confusing anger with aggressiveness. Aggressiveness is simply the willingness to take advantage of an opportunity when it is presented to you...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Testosterone pills, take enough of them and you will take on a charging bull elephant!

Funny you even bring that up. I used Andro for a short time and the only thing I seemed to get from it was a massive level of aggression. I started chasing cars and peeing on tires, so I quit.
icon10.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exile - I know it works, but I got binked on the nose pretty hard a few times, so unless I'm not doing to well, I avoid doing it.

MA - caver - uhhh, nothing? I'm just being wierd but I probabaly shouldn't, I know

searcher - thats sick, funnny, but sick

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Sensei told me that I was not aggressive enough and I guess I still struggle with it a little but I just try to focus on practising my techniques a lot at home and then being confident enough to apply them in class. Part of the problem is that I don't like that word (I think it is negative) - I don't think it is about aggression I really do think it's just a confidence thing. It was for me anyway. Good luck and just keep practising and it will pay off.

Shell.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have somewhat the same problem, a little differerent though. I came from a school were we did not do much sparring. Its all self defense based, so someof it was at 1/2 and 3/4 speed, and it was specified moves. My new school I am a mid belt sparring with black belts. Are thing is do a specified entry, then the finish is up to us. I get get pounded into the mat. When it's my turn, I am not so aggressive. Some of it technique based problem that I have some confidence to build. I have hurt somebody in practice, but it wasnt from me screwing around, sometimes things happen, and I need to let them go. It a karate class right! Accidents will happen. So keep hanging in there, push yourself beyond your limitations, and eventually it will happen.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started Aikido around 3 weeks ago and I have to admit that I have/had the same problem. Since I was a kid I have never fought back other kids coz I was afraid of hurting people and that aspect is still with me.
A few classes ago I had to carry out a technique which to be successfull needed my hand to "push" on the chin (basically turning the head around) of the opponent (I leave out all tech temrs). It was not a punch, but still I didn't do the technique right not even once coz I really couldn't push on the chin afraid of hurting his neck.
The same was when I started punching the opponent. If the punch (slow or fast doesn't matter) is not meant to hit the target it has no purpose in training. In the beginning my punches would stop before the target or turning before reaching the target. Sensei sometimes didn't carry out technique and let himself hit just to see if I was meaning the punch.

Well I can tell you that this "fear" slowly disappears on its own. The more you practice the more you learn how to stop a punch if the opponent freezes or does the wrong movement (and it happens alot amongst us beginners). The more you learn and master the techniques the more you know what level of damage you could cause and the level of strength to use. The more you get to know your dojo mates, the more you learn to trust that they can take a fall in a way they don't get hurt.
My Sensei in one if the first classes told me that I will learn more as a Uke (the one who receives the technique) than as a Nage (the one carrying out the technique). He was absolutely right, when I receive the technique I learn what it actually feels on my body and the reaction it causes on me. I can see better why a certain angle won't work on me, while if that angle changes a bit it works perfectly.

My suggestion is give time to time. Martial Art is not only training a technique, but training our character as well...and they both take time.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Very few people can change themselves to be more aggressive in a short time. Your behavior is learn from the time you were born and the way you were raise. EXCEPT THIS IS THE WAY YOU WERE RAISE!

Now "How does one become more aggressive"! ...Simple....

First believe you are a excellant martial artist....train harder than anyone else...believe in your self..you are improving and getting better,stronger,faster everyday. Excerise and train everday..practice and practice harder....

This build confidence, lots of self-promotion of your self-esteem!

You fear factor will start to change..because you DO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF...

One day(It will take some time) ONE DAY ,you will wake up a different person...CONFIDENT...very sure of yourself....FEARLESS (in a way)...

In this case '"aggressive' is more of a confidence thing here...TAKE THE CHALLENGE AND GO FOR IT!

Start right now! ....run and run some more....Aloha (from a passive person)...I need to run too....

huntly_kickboxing

White Belt
Reaction score

Hi stop listening to wham (Last Christmas) and try something a little bit harder like Metallica. Start conditioning your body, hit the heavy bag hard and hand pads harder. Condtion your body and mind for impact, with the trusty medicine ball. Practice saying NO!!!, a harder body makes a harder Mind. get to the gym and push some heavy weights with a partner once a week ,run up stairs till you cant go another step. Push your mind thru the fear barrier and soar like the eagle that u are!!!!

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
Think of what is most valuable to you in your life - children, family, spouse - whatever, and mentally put them in mortal jeapordy in the hands of another person. Something should rise from inside you, that should be your true source of the engaged mindset, the predatory instinct for survival.

All else is just getting amp'd for a game. In terms of true peace protection, put it in terms of life and death, and you will find that mindset. If a person has no foundation for life, no value for all that we as humans hold dear, then their martial path is nothing more than an aesthetic or sportive pastime.

To put it in context, ask a parent (especially a mother with a small child) what stirs inside of her if someone were to mortally threaten her cub(s). That is the mindset you're after. Each person must find what stirs that level their own human psyche, and it is that we must practice bringing to the surface.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

In sparring, it helps to keep in mind that the better you do, the better your partner has to do as well. Giving it your best does all involved a favor.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In sparring, it helps to keep in mind that the better you do, the better your partner has to do as well. Giving it your best does all involved a favor.

Exactly—it's no different from, say, tennis. If you use a so-so serve, your opponent will get it back relatively easily, and doesn't have to push his or her technical limits out even a little bit. Not only won't your servering improve, but your opponents' abilities to return services they get from other players won't either. A really hard, fast serve takes a lot of skill to return correctly, but if you want to play good tennis you're going to have to do that or yield the point every time your opponent serves... so firing your best serve at your opponent is best all 'round. Replace `serve' with `back kick' and you have the idea...

Latest Discussions