How California's Colleges Indoctrinate Students

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303816504577312361540817878.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Bingo. But it's not just California...
The politicization of higher education by activist professors and compliant university administrators deprives students of the opportunity to acquire knowledge and refine their minds. It also erodes the nation's civic cohesion and its ability to preserve the institutions that undergird democracy in America.

So argues "A Crisis of Competence: The Corrupting Effect of Political Activism in the University of California," a new report by the California Association of Scholars, a division of the National Association of Scholars (NAS). The report is addressed to the Regents of the University of California, which has ultimate responsibility for governing the UC system, but the pathologies it diagnoses prevail throughout the country.

The analysis begins from a nonpolitical fact: Numerous studies of both the UC system and of higher education nationwide demonstrate that students who graduate from college are increasingly ignorant of history and literature. They are unfamiliar with the principles of American constitutional government. And they are bereft of the skills necessary to comprehend serious books and effectively marshal evidence and argument in written work.

This is why popular outrage has come to rule the day. People demand that corporations forgive all debts; unaware of how lending and economies actually work. They demand Zimmerman be arrested - apparently unaware that arrest is not a form of punishment for the guilty. They have NO CLUE how our system of government actually works, complaining that this candidate or that won the popular vote, unaware of how the Electoral College system works. They complain about "Stand Your Ground" laws, completely ignorant of what those laws actually say and mean.

It's not your fault, morons. Our colleges made you this way. I pity our children and I fear for our future. You've been turned into mindless zombies, ruled by emotion and the popular zeitgeist, without a clue in your brainless heads. What a shame.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the price of that education is staggering. Colleges are becoming glorified high schools, while HS are pushing out diplomas.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The whole system is indoctrination. I wish I had more time to go into this, because this is the topic of my academic reaearch.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an interesting primer on the history of the school system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do have to agree that the 'dumbing down' of the supposedly educated strata of society is a real worry. I have seen it myself with the supposed graduates I run into these days who have only been educated to pass their exams - they have not acquired the skills of thinking and learning that I take for granted and expect in someone who has taken their studies past the 'O' level stage.

That is a loss not only for them but also for the economy at large. Even worse it is a loss for the wider concept of society, for the eradication (one way or another) of the educated 'intelligentsia' is one of the first steps taken in a slide towards a more oppressive style of governance.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, a lot of the time the "intellegentsia" are the ones who support the rise of the oppressive style of governance...

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2010/01/05/intellectuals_and_society

But certainly, for the 20th century, it is hard to escape the conclusion that intellectuals have on net balance made the world a worse and more dangerous place. Scarcely a mass-murdering dictator of the 20th century was without his supporters, admirers or apologists among the leading intellectuals-- not only within his own country, but in foreign democracies, where intellectuals were free to say whatever they wanted to.
Given the enormous progress made during the 20th century, it may seem hard to believe that intellectuals did so little good as to have that good outweighed by particular wrong-headed notions. But most of those who promoted the scientific, economic and social advances of the 20th century were not really intellectuals in the sense in which that term is most often used.

Some of the most distinguished intellectuals in the Western world in the 1930s gave ringing praise to the Soviet Union, while millions of people there were literally starved to death and vast numbers of others were being shipped off to slave labor camps.
Many of those same distinguished intellectuals of the 1930s were urging their own countries to disarm while Hitler was rapidly arming Germany for wars of conquest that would have, among other things, put many of those intellectuals in concentration camps-- slated for extermination-- if he had succeeded.
The 1930s were by no means unique. In too many other eras-- including our own today-- intellectuals of unquestionable brilliance have advocated similarly childish and dangerous notions. How and why such patterns have existed among intellectuals is a challenging question, whose answer can determine the fate of millions of other people.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Latest Discussions