Hook punch..vertical or level?

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been told by a boxing coach that it doesn't really matter except that each person may want to use a different method because of the use of minorly different muscles.
and from the boxers side he said go with the palm down because the vertical palm is more likely to be called for slapping.

Jack

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
well i had to use my hook in a real street fight about a month ago. wich i wanted no part of for the record. but i will tell you it was highly effective. i didnt recive any self-inflicted injury when throwing any of my punches. with the form taken from those videos.

a tournament is not the same as a real street fight where punches actually count for more then points.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not "bad", it is certainly better then most people punch, but as far as fighting other fighters go, there are quite a few changes that should be made to what was demonstrated, which seems geared towards getting a workout, not fighting.

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
It's not "bad", it is certainly better then most people punch, but as far as fighting other fighters go, there are quite a few changes that should be made to what was demonstrated, which seems geared towards getting a workout, not fighting.

i'm all ears.

what would you change?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John and Andrew Green are correct on this one. If you have gloves on and/or are fighting in competition you MUST throw with the fist horizontal. If you throw it horizontal you will be called for slapping. Trust me on that one I lost a bunch of points in a state championship for this. Throwing it on the street or with no protection you will need to hit with the fist horizontal. This protects the ring finger and the pinky from being broken. Hats off to A.G. and B.J. for brining this up. Most people don't look at the physical ramifications of improper hitting.

The only option that has not been brought up is when striking to the body. I teach body hooking with the palm turned up at a 45 degree angle. It allows for cleaner shots to the lower intestinal region and into the floating ribs.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, fitness based:

"Martial Conditioning w/ Kickboxing "

http://austinmartialarts.com/adult.php

Anyways, where do you want me too start? There is a whole series of videos there and they all have mistakes if you are looking to spar or fight, for fitness it's quite good though, much better technique and joint safety then most of what I have seen.

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Yup, fitness based:

"Martial Conditioning w/ Kickboxing "

http://austinmartialarts.com/adult.php

Anyways, where do you want me too start? There is a whole series of videos there and they all have mistakes if you are looking to spar or fight, for fitness it's quite good though, much better technique and joint safety then most of what I have seen.

how do u throw your hook punch?

i assure you mine is devastating

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lead Hook:

- Get off center to set it up, load your weight to your front foot, facing forward (to his outside) and drop slightly.
- Again the punch is thrown fron the legs, the arm actually does very little.
- Drive from your front leg and pivot in, from both feet forward with weight on the front the do a 90' turn and shift the weight to the rear and rising into it slightly.
- Do not wind up. The punch stays fairly centered.
- Do not let the shoulder get in front of the hand, if it does it absorbs the impact and give you a weak punch.
- All that your arm really does is rotate so that the forearm is parallel to the floor, ALL of the power comes from the legs and the rotation.
- Follow through is important, you are in tight and in his punching range as well. The hook "hooks" back towards you and stays up, don't drop your hand after the hit, keep your chin protected at all times.
- Against a opposite leaded opponent the hook is a even more important tool, stay outside his lead foot and you can land it while he can't.
- To train the mechanics the "Shovel punch" is a great tool. Throw a hook to the body on the bag with your elbow staying right to your side (virtually no arm movement.)

Latest Discussions