Hook punch..vertical or level?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For the Upper hook punch to the head? ...Which have you found to work best for you? Keeping the fist level with palm down or vertical?

Which is stronger for not breaking your own wrist? ......Aloha

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in any case you should not break your wrist. they key is to relax your arm but not your fist. think of it as a whipping a rope with a rock at the end of it.
you should always be hitting with your knuckles..

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Vertical and inverted- such that it ends towards your chest thumb down, knuckles towards your body.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Knuckles up, thumb side towards you (horizontal fist, I guess), arm at approx 90 degree angle driving with hip and shoulder, very little arm strength used.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
in any case you should not break your wrist. they key is to relax your arm but not your fist. think of it as a whipping a rope with a rock at the end of it.
you should always be hitting with your knuckles..
okay im confused, i thought you're talking about round-house. nvm

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vertical, thumb up if you are bareknuckling it. Horizontal is usually fine with gloves, or if you hit dead on, but is also a common reason behind boxers fracture.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Vertical, thumb up if you are bareknuckling it. Horizontal is usually fine with gloves, or if you hit dead on, but is also a common reason behind boxers fracture.

Bingo.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Horizontal is usually fine with gloves, or if you hit dead on, but is also a common reason behind boxers fracture.

Been there, done that, now I do a vertical fist.

Lamont

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've experimented with both in the past and I had a higher injury rate with the palms to the floor version.

A pro boxer gave me advice that it depends on the situation. He said that the palms down version is better at closer range (when your elbow at 90 deg angle) because of the knuckle alignment to the jaw. But the palms toward you version is good for short and long elbow angles.

Anyway I use that as a guideline and haven't injured my wrists since.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Even with gloves, I feel more comfortable throwing head and body hooks with my fist vertical, thumb on top. Just feels the most natural given the body mechanics.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was taught to use vertical fist for short hooks, adding a little curl toward you with the wrist on impact, and horizontal for long hooks, using more shoulder.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
I actually hold my fist on an angle, about 45 degrees from vertical with my thumb up.

With which part of your fist do you make contact? Also are your elbows leveled with your shoulders when you do?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
EXACTLY:
I can't emphasize that enough to my own students!!! The pinky side of the fist must NOT be the key point of contact, or the furthest out on a hook. It has no structure supporting it from that angle and it's like trying to support the weight of a car on a Turkey Wishbone...
SNAP!!!

VERTICAL!!!

Your Brother
John

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
King said:
With which part of your fist do you make contact? Also are your elbows leveled with your shoulders when you do?

Depends on the target. Usually the forfinger and middle finger knuckles, often the middle finger and ring finger, and if I'm punching at a target lower than my shoulders, occasionally the three pinky-finger side knuckes.

Elbows are level with the shoulders.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

I agree with this as well. I was punching the focus pads not too long ago, using the horizontal fist. Now, this could be due to a number of things, but I hit that pad and my wrist bent down. Didn't break anything, but needless to say, my wrist hurt like hell! All the more reason to make sure that we also have proper form to the fist.

Mike