Hitting women

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Providing you have done nothing to start this domestic, then at the most, if getting away isn't an option, then perhaps restraining the person would be an option, to prevent further injury to you and them.

Yes, qinna is one of the most overlooked, underused, and undervalued methodologies in this day and age. Yet, IMHO it is often the most appropriate. Use only as much force as required to stop the fight. What can easily be resolved with a "surgical instrument" should never be subjected to the type of resolution a "sledge hammer" would give.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey TEZ, What is A&E?

Your ER. Accident and Emergency. A place to avoid on a Friday and Saturday night in any city, full of drunks who've either fallen off something or been fighting or just passed out on the street. If in the UK the medical treatment is free and usually first rate but never get ill on a Friday or Saturday night. Not Sunday afternoon either, then the drunks who've sobered up just about then realise they are hurt and turn up to mix with all the martial artists, footballers, rugby players etc etc who injure themselves in their chosen sport lol!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your ER. Accident and Emergency. A place to avoid on a Friday and Saturday night in any city, full of drunks who've either fallen off something or been fighting or just passed out on the street. If in the UK the medical treatment is free and usually first rate but never get ill on a Friday or Saturday night. Not Sunday afternoon either, then the drunks who've sobered up just about then realise they are hurt and turn up to mix with all the martial artists, footballers, rugby players etc etc who injure themselves in their chosen sport lol!
Oh, OK thanks!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never hit a woman unless you're both wearing Everlast.

Actually, I think you should respond to a female assailant the same way you'd respond to a male: with defense and resistance appropriate to the threat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never hit a woman unless you're both wearing Everlast.

Actually, I think you should respond to a female assailant the same way you'd respond to a male: with defense and resistance appropriate to the threat.

and Everlast is?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not a problem, just curious and off topic, Everlast is a huge brand for training equipment internationally and a mega-giant here in the states. What is the most prevalent brand in the UK? For example most Americans who follow combat sports like boxing or mma or are involved in the MA will know what Everlast is, what brand in the UK is like that for the British?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a problem, just curious and off topic, Everlast is a huge brand for training equipment internationally and a mega-giant here in the states. What is the most prevalent brand in the UK? For example most Americans who follow combat sports like boxing or mma or are involved in the MA will know what Everlast is, what brand in the UK is like that for the British?

Probably Lonsdale, Fairtex or Twins, I don't think we have anything that's huge. We have many brands though for martial arts - Blitz, Macho, Faze,Giko, Spirit as well as Adidas and probably a good many more.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably Lonsdale, Fairtex or Twins, I don't think we have anything that's huge. We have many brands though for martial arts - Blitz, Macho, Faze,Giko, Spirit as well as Adidas and probably a good many more.

Thanks, Macho is another popular brand out here too. :)

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Man or woman only if it is a matter of the defense of others or myself and then only to make the situation safe(?). Sex isn't an issue under these matters.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello: If someone is hitting YOU? ...call the police...It is against the law for assult and battery...LET THEM HANDLE IT?

Get her arrested...apply for TRO"S....BE smart here..if it happens again...YOU will have documents, if it goes to court!

When being attack by any spouse...leave if you can...Even if you defend yourself against the woman? ...and she has injury marks...GUESS who will get arrested first? ...most likely the MALE!

If the Male has bruises? None on her?....most likely the female will be charge here!

ASK or SEEK ..Professioal ADVICE here..ON what to do?

Off course every sitution can be different and may require a different approach!

Many of us grew up...learning NOT to hit any woman...and always to protect them....Anger and violance anyone can have them (women too)

911 ....it works .........Aloha, Be smarter...learn the laws in your State.

PS: Hawaii will be celebrating it's 50 years of STATEHOOD...Aug,21, 1959 Hawaii became a STATE (the 50th).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
For you men, when do you consider it "ok" to hit a woman? After she's verbally abused you? After she's hit you once, twice, more? After she keeps doing both mentioned before after you told her to stop?

I've never been in this situation, but I'd probably act once shes been yelling in my face / trying to hit me.

Your thoughts?

I don't hit women......I find a good arm bar works better.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fact that you think there are any shades of gray in relationship violence makes my skin crawl.

Them's my thoughts.

And yet reality shows just that........that stereotypical 'relationship violence' is the exception, not the rule......in reality most 'relationship violence' is a back and forth give and take, with both parties taking turns as aggressor and victim at any given point.

It's politically incorrect to point this out, as we have been inculcated with the notion that men abuse women........but we see this very much when we eliminate gender from the equation, and examine same sex relationships........without the shorthand of assigning blame to a given gender, we then are forced to examine the true dynamics of these situations, and we see they are far more complex than simply 'Abuser/Victim'.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flea and Bill - where does he say this has anything to do with domestic violence? As far as I can tell he is asking about any female attacker. If you people think that only men commit robbery or lose their temper and throw a punch then you are sorely mistaken.

That automatically becomes an assumption, it would seem.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Female to male as well as female to female domestic violence is a lot more common than I think people realise or want to realise. The gender frankly should be ignored and it should be realised that no domestic violence is acceptable and all is against the law, it's all assault, the varying degrees of which depend upon your particular laws where you live.
If being attacked by anyone, reasonable force is what required in this country.

Touche!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot speak from experience, but the usual scenarios of female to male abuse in a relationship are psychological and verbal because that is where women are stronger than men.

And I guess that makes sense. If you want to abuse someone, you do it in a way that the odds are on your side.

Physical abuse is actually quite common by women.......in fact, such abuse is inadvertently reinforced by the notion that women and men believe that if the police become involved, they will automatically side with the woman.

I once responded to a home for a disturbance call by the neighbors......the front window gave me a view of what was going on, so I observed before announcing for a few moments........what I saw was a man sitting on the couch, with this arms crossed, saying nothing, and looking away, while his wife stood in front of him, leaning forward, and screaming inches from his face.......I then observed her slap him and announced my presence.

As soon as she realized I was there, the screaming immediately became sobs as she tried to paint herself as the victim of domestic violence.......suffice to say she returned to screaming once she realized I observed HER slapping HIM!

Right, wrong or indifferent, the current system, complete with easy to get domestic violence laws, easily obtained orders of protection, and zero accountability for false reports, has created an environment where women yield CONSIDERABLE power within a relationship, by using considerable physical force.......that force comes by order of the courts at the hands of we men and women in uniform.

Now, it's important to have a system where women are protected from legitimate violence.........but it's been my personal experience that MORE THAN HALF of all Protection Orders filled in my area aren't as the result of any fear of physical violence, but are usually the result of some sort of power play, be it an angry ex OR, quite often, because it's seen as gaining a woman leverage in a child custody dispute......lawyers often suggest to their female clients that allegations of abuse could help gain them an advantage........'So have you had any such history of abuse? Maybe that you've forgotten.....think hard! , wink, wink, nod, nod'

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
In sparring, when the match has started. Since sparring is about making each other better.

On the street, same as when I would hit a guy. I try to do everything I can to difuse the situation and avoid having to strike. If I can block and move and let her wear herself out, all the better. I would also try to restrain anyone before having to hit them, if it is possible.

Latest Discussions