Hitting women

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
If you practice proper control and focus there is no need to treat women differently then men in regards to training. Actually everyone should be treated with the same consideration. When you practice you should feel some "discomfort" related to giving and taking strikes. That goes with training.

I have worked with women who can trade it pretty well with anyone. In the sparring "mode" as well. If you consistantly hurt or injure your partner, though, you lack the control necessary to train with others, period. It is that simple.

The only place women require extra consideration in a dojo revolves around the "changing/dressing room". :)

Some students, of both genders, have comfort levels different then others. As a teacher you should make it a point to consider this as well. Now, I did say "consider". You can learn valuable self defense without "beating yourself down" with every workout. Most of us practice martial arts as a hobby, which means we may have to participate in some other "work" the next day.

An interesting topic which would have had some different responses, I bet, 30 or 40 years ago. Of course, we are now well into the 21st century.

Thank you,
Milt G.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Been gone for a while.

If a women wants to hit me, then she better be prepared to be hit back, it's that pure and simple. It doesn't matter if sparring or real life.

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ideally a martial artist should be trained well enough to be able to your the required force to defend themselves, regardless of the situation / attacker etc. If a woman attacks someone, then really you should defend yourself in the same way as in any other situation. Would you use excessive force if a man attacked you? Isn't that taking the law into your own hands and turning self defense into punishment?

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Verbal abuse, it is not ok to hit a woman. Physical abuse though, you can take the neccesary actions to make sure you don't get injured from her attacks. If needed treat her like you would a man and buckle her to the ground and do what you need to do to get her off or away from you.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
For you men, when do you consider it "ok" to hit a woman? After she's verbally abused you? After she's hit you once, twice, more? After she keeps doing both mentioned before after you told her to stop?

I've never been in this situation, but I'd probably act once shes been yelling in my face / trying to hit me.

Your thoughts?

I would say that if she lays hands on me in a way that I would feel the need to defend myself from a man, then well I will treat her the same way. If i do not feel threatened, then like with a man I would not.

Any more the privileges of being treated as a Lady, are earned, not given!
since i was a child in the 60's the womens lib movement and many women have told me to treat them like equals, so I will.

Non of the privileges, or special considerations, that was generally granted a ' lady' traditionally should be granted till she Earns that right by acting like a LADY!.. and a Lady would not act in such a way as I would need to defend myself, being a Gentleman in my actions myself.
So If she does act in such a non ladylike way, she is not a lady.
If she is not a Lady then she forfeits the considerations and curtsey's extended to one!! That being the case is not entitled to any consideration you would not show any one else attacking you.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now, it's important to have a system where women are protected from legitimate violence.........but it's been my personal experience that MORE THAN HALF of all Protection Orders filled in my area aren't as the result of any fear of physical violence, but are usually the result of some sort of power play, be it an angry ex OR, quite often, because it's seen as gaining a woman leverage in a child custody dispute......

Of course there is the other side of the coin...the protection orders which should be filed, and aren't. Many victims of domestic abuse are too afraid of their abuser to make any complaint. Or worse, they keep quiet because they believe the abuse is their own fault and if they just act right then he will stop.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
i would really have to feel threatened to strike a female but i did have to choke a girl out once if i let her get up she would have hurt me bad just used enough force to keep me safe nothing else

Latest Discussions