hit the jaw

MaMaD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hello my friends
a few days ago, for the first time, during sparring, i took some hard punches to my jaw, at that time i didn't felt dizzy or something, maybe a little, but when i got home, beside pain in the jaw and neck, which was normal, a headache started, i couldn't sleep.
now i just wonder, is this headache normal? is it suppose to happen every time?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Punches to the jaw cause lots of head movement, which in turn causes the brain to rattle around inside the skull like a rock in a soda can. That's why they're effective knockout strikes. I would recommend you lay off the sparring till you're symptom free. I'd also recommend you go see your health care provider; you're likely concussed to some degree and this should be checked out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rehydrate and stay off the alcohol.

Look it could just be a tension headache from a stiff neck. But treat it like a concussion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hello my friends
a few days ago, for the first time, during sparring, i took some hard punches to my jaw, at that time i didn't felt dizzy or something, maybe a little, but when i got home, beside pain in the jaw and neck, which was normal, a headache started, i couldn't sleep.
Normal will depend on the person. How the jaw was hit will also play a part in what you feel. Some strikes will cause more head movement while others strikes cause very little movement causing the brain and bone structure to absorb more force.

It's not possible to tell which one you experienced from the post. How you reacted also plays an important part. Did you tense your face and neck up before you took the hit to the jaw? If so then that may have caused more damage than trying to move your head with the punch. I would probably say that tensing up the face and neck right before the punch normally results in headaches, but normal doesn't mean "ok no problem".

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hello my friends
Do you wear a mouth guard when you spar? It reduces the chances of dental injuries, concussions, and jaw injuries.

Furthermore, when you are sparring, your sparring partner shouldn't be trying to knock you out. If he's hitting you hard in the jaw he probably isn't that good of a sparring partner.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly if you're getting hit hard in your first sparring session something's wrong

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like a concussion. You should get a clinical evaluation from a health care professional before returning to any physical activity. If it is a concussion, what’s going on is your brain is swollen (don’t get too scared, it’s probably slight). The swelling can be not too big a deal, but if you increase blood flow to your brain (by exercising), it could swell up more. If it swells more, you could have a lot of problems, potentially fatal problems.

Don’t mess around with it; get it checked out. Even if the headache went away, there could be lingering symptoms you don’t know of.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like a concussion. You should get a clinical evaluation from a health care professional before returning to any physical activity. If it is a concussion, what’s going on is your brain is swollen (don’t get too scared, it’s probably slight). The swelling can be not too big a deal, but if you increase blood flow to your brain (by exercising), it could swell up more. If it swells more, you could have a lot of problems, potentially fatal problems.

Don’t mess around with it; get it checked out. Even if the headache went away, there could be lingering symptoms you don’t know of.
Better safe than sorry. If it's serious enough to ask about it, then it's probably serious enough to get it checked out.

OP
MaMaD

MaMaD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you wear a mouth guard when you spar? It reduces the chances of dental injuries, concussions, and jaw injuries.

Furthermore, when you are sparring, your sparring partner shouldn't be trying to knock you out. If he's hitting you hard in the jaw he probably isn't that good of a sparring partner.

yes, our shifu don't let us do spar without it.

i throw hard punches and kicks sometimes too, when i don't want to:(
u see, when i'am middle of sparring or practicing with my partner, and see a window to strike, sometime i get hurried and will throw punch with more power than i want to.
to be honest, he was more skilled than me, a lot, and yes, he shouldn't punched that hard. but the thing is, it was okay for me during sparring, at least i thought it is, because it didn't affect my awareness, that's why i didn't told him to slow down.
i think being able to spar with certain percentage of power is a skill, not everyone has it, including me :sorry:

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that there are trained medical providers that can give you a lot more accurate information following an examination that we can. Perhaps going to see one of them might be a good idea.

Traumatic brain injury isn't something to take chances with. I got my skull fractured several years ago and I still have issues from it. Go get looked at.

Mark

Latest Discussions