high ranking TKD

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my city and in some parts of my country it's easier to find high rank tae kwon do black belts than high ranking black belts in other martial arts.

For example, in my cyty there are 3 7th dan black belts in TKD but none in other martial arts, 4th dans in my city maybe 10-12 people. In contrats karatekas we have 3 or 5 3rd dan black belts and maybe a 4th dan black belt, aikido we have two 2nd dan black belt and one 3rd dan black bet.

Why TKD has a higher number of mid-higher dans black belts than other martial arts?

Manny

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Probably due to the number of people who train TKD vs other MA's. If you have say, 1 5th dan per 5000 practioners and over 20 years in city x, 25,000 ppl train in TKD, you'll have five 5th dans. If there are only 5000 ppl that train in Karate over same period, odds are you'll only have one 5th dan in that style. I just made that ratio up for the purpose of example, I am an insurance underwriter by profession so I live by statistics. The only anomaly I would introduce would be trying to compare Karate/TKD type styles to an art like Brazillian Jiu Jitsu where their grading system is not wholly comparable.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably due to the number of people who train TKD vs other MA's. If you have say, 1 5th dan per 5000 practioners and over 20 years in city x, 25,000 ppl train in TKD, you'll have five 5th dans. If there are only 5000 ppl that train in Karate over same period, odds are you'll only have one 5th dan in that style. I just made that ratio up for the purpose of example, I am an insurance underwriter by profession so I live by statistics. The only anomaly I would introduce would be trying to compare Karate/TKD type styles to an art like Brazillian Jiu Jitsu where their grading system is not wholly comparable.
Yup. What he said. Its all in the numbers.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, to anyone who knows the answer: When did dan grades higher than fifth begin appearing in taekwondo? And when did ninth and tenth dan grades come into use?

Daniel

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black belt levels went up to 9th dan by at least 1965, if not before. Interestingly, at the time there was only 8 gups (with color belts being white, blue and brown).

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black belt levels went up to 9th dan by at least 1965, if not before.

It only went up to 7th in 1965, General Choi's self proclaimed 9th Dan not withstanding. The Kwan Jang in 1965 were KTA 7th Dan. The first Kukkiwon 9th Dan were awarded to the Kwan Jang and other pioneers in 1975.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
When did dan grades higher than fifth begin appearing in taekwondo? And when did ninth and tenth dan grades come into use?
The 7th Dan rank was authorized in the original Chung Do Kwan bylaws written by GM LEE Won Kuk in the 1940's. 7th Dan remained the highest dan rank at least through 1971 which was the KTA's terminal rank according to the KTA bylaws dated May 7, 1971. The "Major Rules of the W.T.F." published in 1975, allowed for 8th through 10th Dan.