hi i need help

sub7

White Belt
Reaction score
hi i want to learn taekwondo, i went to two different places in my area to find a class. but i dont know if they teach me the real stuff because one of the tkd teacher that i meet, he did not teach his student to stretch and another teacher in a different place teach me how to stretch and first thing he teach me was front kick and round house kick also he teach hapkido every friday .and i pay 100s$ for 2 months and only 6 people taking the class including me . can someone tell me how tell if im being rip off and not learning what i supost to learn. and should i go find a different place. thank

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ask the instructor what his or her federation there school falls under. ask were they got there training from and who there instructor is? Then look them up and find out about them. Some schools do not do warming up drills in class;they do it before class,some do it in class. A small class can be a good thing; more time to spend with you. it may be a new school as well. As far as cost the market will set the price, a good thing. please do not sign a contract with them untill you feel right about them. To many fly by nite'ers have ripped students off by getting you to sign a contract then leave town with your money. Ask some of the students what they think about there school?ask questions, if they do reply to them or they are unsure of there answers be careful! Good luck in your quest. all the best in the arts

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
where you from? if you're from singapore i can check if your club is affiliated to the singapore taekwondo federation.

OP
S

sub7

White Belt
Reaction score
im from usa. and this is my instrutor web site http://www.doubledragon-mac.com/home.nxg i dont think his school fall under any federation. and now i want to move to this school because it say "At Cypress TaeKwon-Do we teach traditional TaeKwon-Do and are members of The Phoenix Group, an affiliate of the I.T.F., International TaeKwon-Do Federation." on their website http://www.cypresstaekwondo.com/

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nobody can be the one to tell you who is better and which one is the original, both look suspect to me. If you are close to Young Brother Tae Kwon Do I would recommend them, I have known the head instructor forever and he teaches TKD.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have a small number of students in class your instructor is more able to watch what you are doing and correct mistakes faster. Being in a large class gives you more people to practice against but the instructor must watch all of them thusly giving less attention to the individual

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i found 3 young brother taekwondo school near my area. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...tT&q=Young+Brother+Tae+Kwon+Do+tx&btnG=Search

sould i quit my old tkd school and go to young brother now or should i stay at my old school for 2 months because i already pay for 2 months.

Master Giambi or Master Mc Closkey all belong to Master Giambi but I would go over to the school tell them Tery Stoker from Arlington Texas sent you to try a few ckasses and see the difference for yourself. Best of luck,if you let me know when you are going I will cal him for you.

Here is his link http://youngbrotherstaekwondohouston.com/y-b-home-page.html

Last edited:
OP
S

sub7

White Belt
Reaction score
thank everyone for replying and thank terryl965. i will go check out young brother place and see if i can drive to their place because i have to drive 40 minuts to get to the place.when i deside to go to Master Giambi school i will pm u terryl965. thank alot.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thank everyone for replying and thank terryl965. i will go check out young brother place and see if i can drive to their place because i have to drive 40 minuts to get to the place.when i deside to go to Master Giambi school i will pm u terryl965. thank alot.

OK until then keep training

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I would recommend you avoid taekwondo all together. As sad as it is to say, you will be hard pressed to find effective taekwondo now these days. If you do, it is probably mixed with some other arts.

By going to a mediocre school (McDojang), you may have to spend a long time fixing bad habits down the road.

I would strongly recommend muay thai if you are interested in learning a striking art.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, I would recommend you avoid taekwondo all together. As sad as it is to say, you will be hard pressed to find effective taekwondo now these days. If you do, it is probably mixed with some other arts.

By going to a mediocre school (McDojang), you may have to spend a long time fixing bad habits down the road.

I would strongly recommend muay thai if you are interested in learning a striking art.

There are great TKD school still around, do you not do TKD or is the name misleading?

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about the "TKD" in the name.

My personal opinion is to go with a place that is affiliated with a national or international organization. Word of mouth is also good. Even with TKD there are many styles - the style at my school is Ho-Am and it is affiliated with International Taekwondo Alliance (www.itaonline.com). You also have to remember that it is also a business and with the popularity of MMA it's hard to survive if you don't offer other things in addition to just the tradtional TKD. Again, Just my opinion.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Train where your heart and spirit tell you too..

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

While there are many dojangs that tend to follow the McDojang pattern, there are still plenty of dojangs out there that will teach quality SD TKD.

Good dojangs are not hard to spot. Even if you've never attended a class before, you'll be able to tell the difference. If the class is filled with blackbelts that can't kick in a straight line, then you're probably in the wrong school. But if you see students that seem to be disciplined, no matter what rank, and they appear focused on a cirriculum that would seem practical for a real scenerio, then the school is more than likely a true SD TKD dojang.

It's hard to describe in words what you'll notice, for me at least, but it's something that you'll just know when you watch a class.

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
do you not do TKD or is the name misleading?

I never got around to changing my screen name...

I practiced TKD for ten plus years. It was a difficult decision, but I decided to leave TKD behind to practice muay thai some time ago. It was not as difficult a transition as some might think. And despite what muay thai guys might say, TKD kickers can learn the muay thai roundhouse just fine. In about a year or two, hand skills are up to par as well.

I found (in my area) that nearly all TKD schools were geared toward kids and ineffective techniques. What I found was that there were very few adult students at local TKD schools. I also found that there is a ton of hypocracy in TKD with schools preaching the tenets of TKD and not living up to them.

Another thing I found was too much talking in hypotheticals. With muay thai, if you don't know how to defend a jab, you eat the jab. This kind of training comes in handy when transitioning to self-defense situations.

On a technical level, I still use the longer TKD roundhouse kick and TKD front leg sliding roundhouse for inside thigh kicking in sparring. Aside from that, I don't really use many techniques from TKD. For me the tools of muay thai are much more efficient and effective.

These are just my opinions and not meant to rip on TKD. Just giving you my experiences with the two.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isn't meant as a rip on you, karatemom. But this video clearly displays a black belt who shows no real development of power and explosion in her pattern work. No real understanding of what the form really means either. As stated by Cirdan, mcdojangs exist everywhere. Being a member of an organization is no guarantee of quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isn't meant as a rip on you, karatemom. But this video clearly displays a black belt who shows no real development of power and explosion in her pattern work. No real understanding of what the form really means either. As stated by Cirdan, mcdojangs exist everywhere. Being a member of an organization is no guarantee of quality.

HEY< THAT"S ME!!!

No, just kidding...It's a kid...most do not under stand forms.

Anyhow. being a part of an organization has advantages, especially when the instructors are regulated. So you know the person in front of you has more than just a Black belt!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions