Here's one for you older guys

joblo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First of all let me say I'm NOT trying to toot my own horn, just wanting to encourage the older crowd or maybe someone who is thinking about starting TKD or another art. I started TKD when I was 46 yrs old,could barely bend over and touch my shins with my finger tips. I had never been flexible and had never stretched in my whole life. My instructors Chip and Glyn Ann Townsend tell their students that anyone can do it no matter the age, and that flexibility is something you have to really want. They never stop pushing and encouraging me.
I am now 52 yrs old, my cardio is better,I'm stronger, faster and more flexible than I was at 46 even at 40. Don't let age or anything stop you from doing what you want, if you desire it , you can have it if you are willing to dedicate yourself and work for it.
You'll never be old as long as you don't let your dreams turn into regrets.

t400_kik.jpg

t400_frontkick.jpg

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good on ya, joblo! I had almost talked myself out of signing up to take TKD because I was too out of shape and it was too late to start at 38.

:uhoh::mad::duh::banghead:

Not one of my better moments in logical reasoning. :D

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who is still flexible at older ages does well. Some of us were never flexible and got less so as the years passed. TKD requires a lot of leg movement and should be entered into carefully.:eek:

For you who are over 39 and doing well in the art, I envy your ability.

Train well and fall easy.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I second that! Great pictures, Joblo. That is one impressive kick!! I'm working on being able to kick that high.:)

I started back to TKD in 2007 after being away since around 1988-1989. At 41, I am the second oldest student in the school and the oldest in our kumdo class, but in the top of the class in terms of physical conditioning. The one gent in our taekwondo class who is older than I always tells me that he doesn't know how I can do taekwondo right after kendo. Now he's only a year older than I am. But I train daily and eat healthy, and have done so for quite some time. Even when away from taekwondo, I maintained a pretty vigorous exercise regimen and practiced kicks and punches.

Now, I'm in what I'd consider to be the best shape of my life and things keep on getting better.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you and tell Chip I said hello, him and his wife are some great Instructors.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Joblo,

I'm 53! And yep, I feel better and more capable than I just about ever was. Sneeker to!

I used to be 185+ lb for a 5' 8" guy, I'm now 168 and really I can't lose much more!

Keep it up guys. Don't quit. Not saying you have to work out every day of the week, but even if you aren't in a dojo right now, work out at least a couple of days at the gym to keep your self up.

Deaf

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats! I'll be sure to mention that to one of my students (44) who thinks he'll never be flexible!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great pics, Joblo—I started TKD five years ago when I was 56, and can definitely get behind your message that it's never too late. The later you start, the harder you have to work, but that's part of the fun, I think.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One benefit to starting older is that an older student will often have a level of maturity that enables them to be more teacheable than a younger student. An older student isn't worried about how he or she stacks up next to the younger students; they expect the younger students to be in better shape, more flexible, and faster. And is it ever fun to surprise the younger students once in a while.:D

Daniel

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My soon-to-be 15 yr old daughter would say, "This guy creeps me out." :)

I don't know if he's the "spokes-model" for the rest of the country, but he's the guy for Six Flags here in L.A. He creeps me out, too!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic Joblo! That is outstanding. And yes, it does help to see. Ol Guys Rule! :supcool:

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, as he well might to some punk in a mall parking lot.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know if he's the "spokes-model" for the rest of the country, but he's the guy for Six Flags here in L.A. He creeps me out, too!
He was the six flags guy out here too, but I haven't seen him this year. An old family friend looks just like him!

Daniel

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One benefit to starting older is that an older student will often have a level of maturity that enables them to be more teacheable than a younger student. An older student isn't worried about how he or she stacks up next to the younger students; they expect the younger students to be in better shape, more flexible, and faster. And is it ever fun to surprise the younger students once in a while.:D

Daniel

True enough! :wink1:

Latest Discussions