Help with improving my balance!

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ahh that's a good suggestion about doing it with your eyes closed...actually I never really thought on that idea too much lol. Thanks I think I'll actually try using that some lol you're absolutely right...anything that you can do with your eyes closed is going to be much easier than with your eyes open. Also, very right about the fact that it may not be the actual leg that you are standing on that is giving you the majority of your balance problems. If you lack the physical strength in that grouping of muscles, than the posture won't be able to be supported by those muscles, and will therefore make the frame that the body is creating with that posture weak, and imbalanced. I know in Ballet we spent months just working on core abdominal and leg strength just so that we were physically strong enough to hold the difficult postures with enough balance. I remember one day i was up on the balls of my feet on releve' in a very akward ballet position, with my arms above my head in unmoving balance and she came over to me and said "See, you're getting stronger." So you see, it's not always that balance is this mystical attribute of the body that we cannot see or relate, there are important physical aspects that are thrown into the equation, such as your leg strength, abdominal strength, and the strength of the posture itself (for it is possible to physically be strong enough to hold the posture, yet still hold the posture incorrectly if improper form or technique is used)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it's not always that balance is this mystical attribute of the body that we cannot see or relate, there are important physical aspects that are thrown into the equation, such as your leg strength, abdominal strength, and the strength of the posture itself (for it is possible to physically be strong enough to hold the posture, yet still hold the posture incorrectly if improper form or technique is used)

Yup, exactly. Working on balance directly is important, but all of the ballet dancers I've ever seen look incredibly strong and muscular, and I've always suspected that that's a big part of how they get that terrific quiet equilibrium even holding extreme positions.

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep it's the truth...we didn't even start dancing until almost tthe end of the 1st quarter of the year lol...takes a lot of preperation, work, and deciation.

Amazingly enough, it sounds eerily similar to martial arts :p lol

Latest Discussions