Counter Balance Issues With Balance

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is excellent data on the use of resistance training (primarily free weights) for the purposes of improving balance. Just don't get caught up in the use of unstable surface training (wobble boards, bosu balls, etc.) the data on those is sketchy at best. I was just teaching this content to my students recently, and one of the angles we look at, besides the biomechanics and motor control aspects of balance, is the use of exercise as an intervention for those with balance impairments. The data there is solid, and it will improve other aspects of your physical function as well, including your MA training.
That sounds like something worth reading up on. Does the research include improvement on people at normal functional levels of balance, as well as those with balance impairments?

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not know what other people would call it. To us it was just a spinning reverse kick to the ankle. We used English names for our moves and techniques.

We also had higher spinning kicks where we didn't go down low like that and although we used the same spin and hook we of course didn't fall down and use our hands.

I guess you could call it a sweep. Properly done it will take a person off their feet, and very probably break their ankle.

I hope you can get some use out that type of kick.

I'm not sure how knowing Rob Batiste's name will help, but if it does that is good. AFIK he still teaches in the NoVA, DC, MD area. He was a real whiz with kids. They were just so anxious to please him with practice and school grades.

Yeah no worries, thought that Rob Batiste may filmed some stuff. Anyway,and not that I am saying this validates anything, I watched the FIght Quest episode on Hapkido. Interesting to see some variation in practice and training from the Masters. Some of the locks and throws were end game stuff. Hapkido seems very practical with hand.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like something worth reading up on. Does the research include improvement on people at normal functional levels of balance, as well as those with balance impairments?

Picking up on the latter. Kind of had a bombshell that I have taken the wrong approach with that, and the other posts. I have always tried to look at others and think how I could get close to that normal balance if you will, but what I should been doing is forget others, and work on myself exclusively. Perhaps I could worked myself better into a system, than glean parts from other systems. Does that make sense?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, just some stupid humour on my part. Anyway, Scoliosis is a condition that can be so severe that exo skeltions are needed in the most severe cases. In my case, a lot of fusion had taken place, so hence my upper body is strongest. It is why primarily in a fight, I rely on punching and elbows, or head but or whatever else comes to hand. TBH, I favour grappling, there once I get control, I don't relinquish, but relying on the upper body, just causes more chance of injury for me. No big deal for you, but having a twisted spine, alters the dynamic, whatever can be found in CMA. I just jump on snottiness, no disrespect intended fella.

Did you know that Usain Bolt has scoliosis?

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you know that Usain Bolt has scoliosis?

No I didn't actually. His vertebrae seem quite injury free. He definitely risen above injury. Explains why he is so strong with the athletism. Unfortunately for me, I could not have my spine straitened, my kneck vertebrae would likely collapse. Why I had to have fusion, lower and upper. Usain is actually one of my fave sprinters, my ultimate fave being Micheal Johnson. Both animals and humble :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolt hasn't had operations, he uses a chiropractor. I know he uses a physiotherapist as well.

"Instead of using a brace or enduring dangerous surgery to correct the abnormal curvature of his spine, Usain Bolt used chiropractic treatments. “I’ve worked hard over the years. I’ve been injured and I’ve worked hard through it, and I’ve made it.” Bolt uses chiropractic not only to bounce back more quickly from injuries, but also to enhance his performance while healthy. “As long as I’m in great shape, nobody beats me, for sure.

Dr. Michael Douglas has worked with Bolt for many years, he is the Jamaican Olympic Team’s official chiropractor. He has held that position since 1996 and retains a certificate in Chiropractic Neurology. He combines traditional chiropractic techniques with sports injury rehabilitation to keep the Jamaican team in top condition.
Like all world champions, Usain Bolt realizes that his work is never done. “For me, I’m focused on what I want to do. I know what I need to do to be a champion, so I’m working on it.” For Usain Bolt, chiropractic care has been—and continues to be—an essential part of his overall strategy for remaining healthy and competing successfully."

From an interview ( ESPN but the rest isn't relevant) You've been diagnosed with scoliosis. How has that affected your training?
When I was younger it wasn't really a problem. But you grow and it gets worse. My spine's really curved bad [makes "S" shape with finger]. But if I keep my core and back strong, the scoliosis doesn't really bother me. So I don't have to worry about it as long as I work hard. The early part of my career, when we didn't really know much about it, it really hampered me because I got injured every year.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A
Picking up on the latter. Kind of had a bombshell that I have taken the wrong approach with that, and the other posts. I have always tried to look at others and think how I could get close to that normal balance if you will, but what I should been doing is forget others, and work on myself exclusively. Perhaps I could worked myself better into a system, than glean parts from other systems. Does that make sense?
Absolutely. There's a reason I asked that question - any significant deviation from "normal" physiology requires a different solution than the "normal" one. In your case, trying to use what works for me (in this case, I get to call myself "normal"!) would be a poor approach. You need to take the parts you have and put them in a working system to find balance, and that may require a different approach than I need.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A

Absolutely. There's a reason I asked that question - any significant deviation from "normal" physiology requires a different solution than the "normal" one. In your case, trying to use what works for me (in this case, I get to call myself "normal"!) would be a poor approach. You need to take the parts you have and put them in a working system to find balance, and that may require a different approach than I need.

Quite. Never lessons the frustration though from my point of view. Over the years I have found sweet spots, but the price being over extensions, not fluid motion if you will. In itself never been a problem. My tool box was given at birth, and it ain't too shabby, but flow is something I have had to work hard on, coupled with certain compensations. Ironically raw strength and power being one.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes it does. There is data on the whole spectrum, from persons who have impairments in balance, to average persons, and people who are highly trained (e.g. athletes, dancers, etc.).

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolt hasn't had operations, he uses a chiropractor. I know he uses a physiotherapist as well.

"Instead of using a brace or enduring dangerous surgery to correct the abnormal curvature of his spine, Usain Bolt used chiropractic treatments. “I’ve worked hard over the years. I’ve been injured and I’ve worked hard through it, and I’ve made it.” Bolt uses chiropractic not only to bounce back more quickly from injuries, but also to enhance his performance while healthy. “As long as I’m in great shape, nobody beats me, for sure.

Dr. Michael Douglas has worked with Bolt for many years, he is the Jamaican Olympic Team’s official chiropractor. He has held that position since 1996 and retains a certificate in Chiropractic Neurology. He combines traditional chiropractic techniques with sports injury rehabilitation to keep the Jamaican team in top condition.
Like all world champions, Usain Bolt realizes that his work is never done. “For me, I’m focused on what I want to do. I know what I need to do to be a champion, so I’m working on it.” For Usain Bolt, chiropractic care has been—and continues to be—an essential part of his overall strategy for remaining healthy and competing successfully."

From an interview ( ESPN but the rest isn't relevant) You've been diagnosed with scoliosis. How has that affected your training?
When I was younger it wasn't really a problem. But you grow and it gets worse. My spine's really curved bad [makes "S" shape with finger]. But if I keep my core and back strong, the scoliosis doesn't really bother me. So I don't have to worry about it as long as I work hard. The early part of my career, when we didn't really know much about it, it really hampered me because I got injured every year.

Oh must have looked at photo that was not him then. Glad that Usain had that help and it worked for him. For me, it would be like polishing a turd, several invasive spinal surgeries dictated what I became.

Latest Discussions