Improving physical balance

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe this is an issue that is applicable to just about any martial arts.

My balance has not been a strong point (I had better balance when I was much younger--thanks to some gymnastics during PE in school--but balance has gone downhill as the [many] years passed by). :eek:

I know that my skills with martial arts would go more smoothly if balance is better. :(

Are there any suggestions on excercises, tricks, or "secrets" for improving balance? :confused:

Thank you in advance,

- Ceicei

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may help to specify what you're seeking balance in. Balance in motion, such as kicking? Or balance while standing still, like holding yourself steady with one leg raised.

For martial arts, balance in motion is what you should strive for, as balance while immobile is relatively useless. Learning to 'move with your center' is helpful. One way to visualize this is to picture how some people may advance or retreat while leading with the head rather than the hips. Leading with the head tends to put you off balance.

I'm going to stop before I start babbling.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to stand on one foot every morning while I put on my shirt, brushed my teeth, and so on. It was static, not in motion, but it helped!

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can balance on two feet just fine and can balance on transitional stances too.

What I'm thinking of is the need for balance that requires being on one foot more than a few seconds--ie. crane stance, etc. (For example, I've had a lot of trouble with the Leaping Crane technique in EPAK).

I guess what I'm really looking for are ways to strengthen the leg muscles that will allow for single-foot balance to be better.

- Ceicei

M

MartialArtsChic

My brother got the balance gene in the family so I've got major balance issues.

Practice, practice, practice and it'll get better. Bending the knee of the leg still on the ground when I kick tends to help me too on some of them. Maybe just let the kick happen too. I know I would concentrate and focus on that particular aspect it wouldn't work. When I would get fed up with myself and just do it and not think, lo and behold I was able to hold the balance on the kicks.

Cthulhu: If you have any other ideas, babble away, please. :D Any tips are helpful to try.

Lorrie

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Learning to 'move with your center' is helpful. One way to visualize this is to picture how some people may advance or retreat while leading with the head rather than the hips. Leading with the head tends to put you off balance.
Cthulhu

Leading with the hips? Are you saying to keep the stances lower?

- Ceicei

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes- balance is an issue now for me too. It never used to be until back in 1998 when I blew my knee out on a belt test. Ever since then, my balance has been slightly off. I have found this exercise helpful however. Stand on one leg with it bent and practice 10 kicks to the front, the side and the back, then switch legs. Very important to keep that supporting leg bent and to get the kick back to your knee quickly. You can also try this exercise with slow motion kicks........over time, you will notice your balance improving- this is something I have done to rehab. my knee and make it stronger. After you feel as though you are getting it down pretty good in the air, do the same exercise, but now kick a punching bag or training bag.

Hope it helps you as it has me.

:asian: :karate:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okinawa-te triple kick drill #1:

-Assume a standing horse stance, with arms held at your sides, with the option of moving them out to retain balance during the drill.

-Starting with the right leg, front kick and set down.

-Still with the right leg, side kick, then set down.

-Again with the right leg, back kick, then set down.

-Repeat with the left leg.

-When you think you're ready, do the kicks (front, side, back) without setting the leg down after the first front kick. Obviously, you need to set it down when switching to the left leg.

Remember to maintain your systems kick chambering form. Experiment with lower horse stances as balance and leg strength increases.

This drill should help with balance while kicking, leg strength, multiple kicks, and multiple kicks to different targets.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ceicei
Leading with the hips? Are you saying to keep the stances lower?

- Ceicei

Assume whatever fighting stance you prefer. When advancing or retreating, visualize leading with your hips...as if someone tied a rope to your belt and was pulling you backwards or forwards that way.

Let me know if that's incoherent rambling :)

Cthulhu

M

MountainSage

Cthulhu's triple kick drill suggestion is one of the best I've been exposed to that improves balance. The School I attend uses this drill as a mainstay in balance improvement and multiple kick training. Use this drill folks, it does work.

Mountainsage

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Assume whatever fighting stance you prefer. When advancing or retreating, visualize leading with your hips...as if someone tied a rope to your belt and was pulling you backwards or forwards that way.
This is a great visualization for balance while on the move. Aikido requires blending with the attackers energy and "taking his space" so your balance had to be on target. do you have any good drills for balance while moving at a good speed?

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A moving exercise I can think of that we used to do is........hopping forwards and backwards to one-leg stances. While in a normal standing position, you hop forward on a 45 degree angle (say towards 1 o'clock) onto your right leg. Right leg should be bent and left foot rests against inside of your right knee (crane or one-legged stance)........From here (once you are balanced), you hop forward on a 45 degree angle again- this time to your left (say towards 11 o'clock)- this time to a left one-legged stance. We'd run lines of basics this way forward all the way across the mat and then do the same in reverse all the way back. It helped me with balance too. As with anything- you can try it at various speeds.

:asian: :karate:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A drill we do may help for maintaining balance during quick movement. Bear in mind, this is for FMA training, so some terminology and whatnot may differ.

Basically, someone crashes in on another with a stick, striking rapidly for two or three steps. The other person retreats quickly (so as not to get clobbered) for two or three steps, then 'zones off' to the left or right. This means after your last retreating step, you advance, but at about a 45-degree angle to your original line of motion.

Basically, if you are moving off-balance, you shouldn't be able to make a smooth transition, and will lose your balance entirely, and/or get run over by the advancing opponent (which also means you may just get whacked with a stick).

Not the original intent of the drill, but it should work a bit for training balance in motion.

Cthulhu

S

Spud

Also using a BOSU ball will help with dynamic/transition balance. Many of the drills listed above can be used in conjunction with a BOSU.

Bosu Ball

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Spud
Also using a BOSU ball will help with dynamic/transition balance. Many of the drills listed above can be used in conjunction with a BOSU.

Interesting. Never heard of BOSU. Is the surface hard or soft? It appears to have some "give" to it. Do you train frequently with one?

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

Basically, someone crashes in on another with a stick, striking rapidly for two or three steps. The other person retreats quickly (so as not to get clobbered) for two or three steps, then 'zones off' to the left or right. This means after your last retreating step, you advance, but at about a 45-degree angle to your original line of motion.

Whoa! I tried that with a partner (sans the sticks) and it took a lot of coordination to do that footwork quickly! I'd have to say that is an ingenious way to practice balance in motion.

-- Ceicei

S

Spud

Interesting. Never heard of BOSU. Is the surface hard or soft? It appears to have some "give" to it. Do you train frequently with one?

- Ceicei
It is similar to a swiss ball with the inflated half bubble top and a hard flat bottom surface. I bought mine for ski training but the cross over training in martial arts has also been great – BOSU are good for popreoceptors (spelling) the ancillary muscle groups that help support your balance and reaction.

I do many of my regular MA balance drills while standing on the ball, plus step aerobics sorts of conditioning, and lunges. The also work great for core strengthening – crunches, cobra stretches etc. Will also do reaction drills – tossing/catching a ball against the wall while stepping up on the BOSU. Flip the dome over and do push ups holding onto the flat surface while balancing on the inflated.

They run about $100.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Douglas Wong in his "Kung-fu" book has some exercises that incorporate developing balance using two or more industrial food cans filled with concrete.

Basically you start with the horse stance and work your way to the crane stance. You can then transition through all your stances.

This is hard but cool training!!! Some people use railroad ties or telephone poles as alternate, ie if you have seen the finale of "Iron Monkey."

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
Douglas Wong in his "Kung-fu" book has some exercises that incorporate developing balance using two or more industrial food cans filled with concrete.

Basically you start with the horse stance and work your way to the crane stance. You can then transition through all your stances.

This is hard but cool training!!! Some people use railroad ties or telephone poles as alternate, ie if you have seen the finale of "Iron Monkey."

:confused:

Never saw the movie, so forgive my confusion. I can only think of two different possibilities--to hold or to stand on.

Do you hold them in your hands or on your head? Are they strung up and held by the ropes? Are the railroad ties/telephone poles cut in pieces and roped? If the cans are held in the hands, could dumbbells be used instead? I would think dumbbells would be more comfortable in the hands.

Or are you saying, these things are to *STAND* on to practice balancing?

I'm guessing its the latter one you meant. It would have to be heavy enough and sturdy enough not to tip over while a person is standing upon it.

-- Ceicei

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:confused:

Or are you saying, these things are to *STAND* on to practice balancing?

I'm guessing its the latter one you meant. It would have to be heavy enough and sturdy enough not to tip over while a person is standing upon it.

-- Ceicei

You got it. You stand on them. You can find the book at Barnes and Noble or Borders Books.

If I get a chance, I will take a picture of the cans that I use.

Latest Discussions