Improving my balance

40+TKDLee

Hello all,
I am finding that as I get older, my balance is getting worse. I have noticed it most recently. May I get some useful suggestions for improving my balance?

Pilsung,
Lee

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suggest you periodically do haktari-seogi-crane stance.

I tell my students that they can practice outside of the dojang by doing simple things-crane stance while brushing teeth or hair. After you are comfortable doing it for up to a minute, then add weights-dumbells are perfect for this as are ankle weights-though do it slowly.

When you get a chance, do your kicks slowly-especially side and round kicks as they require a pivot so the balance must be maintained throughout motion.

Good Luck!

Miles

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
suck and squeeze, meaning suck in your stomach, and squeeze your butt, what this does is tighten your core, which prevents wobbeling, which keeps you more stable.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If your in good shape you may need to see your Doctor?

If the Doctor green lights you may want to try a wobble board. This device normally comes with an instruction book. I believe rebok has a platform which you can use as a wobble board and unstable surface. These device will address both muscular and balance preception problems.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You listed yourself as a first dan, so I assume you have been training for at least a couple of years and the problem shouldn't be with body position or anything like that. You might want to consider some kind of strength training as you get older (if you are not already doing so) to help counter the effects of old to some extent. If your muscles are losing strength, it could be effecting your ability to balance.

Has your diet and/or sleep schedule been changed recently? When I started to work night shift and my eating schedule/diet changed I had problems at first when I trained. My body couldn't do what it normally could do because of the changes and I had to focus on improving what I was doing as well as develop a stricter schedule for food and sleep.

Something one of my college professors told me that I, and many older people, find to be true is, "If you don't use it, you lose it." What ever you do to help your balance, keep doing it consistantly and don't stop.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
you forgot the most simple thing....stand on one foot (close your eyes) for 1 minute and then change. keep doing the same thing over again.

very basic but effective

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
When you get a chance, do your kicks slowly-especially side and round kicks as they require a pivot so the balance must be maintained throughout motion.
Rob Broad said:
Try practicing is slow motion. It will require more muscle control, and in essence help improve your balance.
These suggestions have worked well for me. I do them on a continual basis. There are many other excellent suggestions as well, I just have to agree with these from my own personal experience.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I would agree with slowering your twchniques down to help, also try a balance ball.
Terry

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
try standing on one leg whenever possible
At home you can raise the nonplanted foot higher as your blance gets better and hold it longer.
Slow turning on one foot will help and try closeing your eyes while doing the leg lifts

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are lots of balance exercises, but you might want to have your doc check some things out on your next checkup. You could have some inner ear damage you're not aware of, could be a result of aging (I know - yay) ... ya never know.

All of the suggestions here are excellent.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
You could have some inner ear damage you're not aware of, could be a result of aging (I know - yay) ... ya never know.
That's good point. Loss of equilibriam without even being aware of it is very possible.

Latest Discussions