Counter Balance Issues With Balance

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I been thinking about my balance issues, due to my skeletal adnomaillties at birth. Anyway, long form of thoughts, but I won't waffle on.

My right foot has a overarching middle of the foot. What this translates for me, is that I have around a cm to a half, of less surface area. For example, maybe a high left kick, going for the kneck area, I have less control on pivot of the right foot. Because of this, more often than not, I tend to be out of balance with anything higher than thigh height. That level I can control stance and movement. I naturally lean to the left, meaning that my natural stance has less balance control on the right, I have to push into it. Very hard for me to explain that, but I need some opinions from the community. Can I be able to counter my balance isssues, there must be something trainable?

Compensation is found in my right foot, which is found in my overreach of my right arm into the overreach of my right fist. But I can't find any improved balance, or any thought on how I could improve it?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I've found is that kicking higher than what I can actually can control causes a lot of balance issues. I would start with a low kick about shine height. If I don't have balance issues at that height then kick a littler higher. I repeat the process until I find exactly where I have balance and at what height I start having trouble with balance. This gives me the height at which I need to practice at in order to start fixing the balance issues. From this height the goal is to slightly increasing my kicking height each week

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've found is that kicking higher than what I can actually can control causes a lot of balance issues. I would start with a low kick about shine height. If I don't have balance issues at that height then kick a littler higher. I repeat the process until I find exactly where I have balance and at what height I start having trouble with balance. This gives me the height at which I need to practice at in order to start fixing the balance issues. From this height the goal is to slightly increasing my kicking height each week

Yeah, that makes sense in method and action. I will have ago, but I want improve on the lying cause. It makes sense :), but when you have scoliosis, it is a little different. Kicking drills can only improve, not change, just adjust :)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is excellent data on the use of resistance training (primarily free weights) for the purposes of improving balance. Just don't get caught up in the use of unstable surface training (wobble boards, bosu balls, etc.) the data on those is sketchy at best. I was just teaching this content to my students recently, and one of the angles we look at, besides the biomechanics and motor control aspects of balance, is the use of exercise as an intervention for those with balance impairments. The data there is solid, and it will improve other aspects of your physical function as well, including your MA training.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is excellent data on the use of resistance training (primarily free weights) for the purposes of improving balance. Just don't get caught up in the use of unstable surface training (wobble boards, bosu balls, etc.) the data on those is sketchy at best. I was just teaching this content to my students recently, and one of the angles we look at, besides the biomechanics and motor control aspects of balance, is the use of exercise as an intervention for those with balance impairments. The data there is solid, and it will improve other aspects of your physical function as well, including your MA training.

Thanks. Do you have any links. I would be keen to delve further.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you have any links. I would be keen to delve further.

The sort of thing I am referring to is published in scientific journals rather than on someone's blog, so you might be able to access the abstract online, but that is typically it unless it is an open access journal. I've been an author on a couple of studies looking at the influence of strength and power on balance in collegiate dancers which was one of my former colleague's research areas, and there are a variety of data in other populations as well, from athletic, to non-trained, to older persons. Its pretty hard to go wrong with making someone stronger when it comes to physical function, regardless of who you are and what your interests are.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense in method and action. I will have ago, but I want improve on the lying cause. It makes sense :), but when you have scoliosis, it is a little different. Kicking drills can only improve, not change, just adjust :)
I don't know how much your scoliosis limits you, but keep in mind that you have to do things according to your structure. If you aren't starting with the same structure or your structure changes while doing a technique then you have to make adjustments so your movement and balance match your structure. This is something that is universal for everyone.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed with the above. Prevention of toppling is about keeping the body's center of mass over the base of support. If your center mass is different than others, perhaps shifted to the right or left side of your body a bit, depending on the severity of your scoliosis, you will have to alter your technique in order to maintain balance. As noted above, getting stronger will help with this significantly as well.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good advice above thread.

Another perspective or thought exploration you may wish to consider and work with while training is 'Freedom of Movement.' Being a bit unstable may not always be a bad thing. Sometimes, like a spinning top, being a bit unstable in movement allows other movement to emerge. Being open to that other movement allows the freedom to explore that movement. If it leads to falling, great, that too is training and particularly useful training for the 'real' world. Falling from unusual and unprepared body positions is a real skill not easily trained. This type of exploration might lead to unorthodox kicks or kick defense that works well for you not in spite of your condition but because of it. Learning to work from a floating center of gravity can be interesting exploration.

One additional quick thought

You know music I believe? Have you ever seen the guys working the sound boards near the bands? The boards have all kinds of switches, knobs and levers. A little of this adjustment here on the magic boards can make the music sound thus. The same sound effect can be accomplished several ways just depending on the sound technicians experience and ear. If you can think of your body as that magic sound board – if there is one way of achieving balance, might not there be many other ways? For example, all of our joints have flexibility and can be adjusted. There is slack that can extended or compressed depending on need and desire. Playing with this might provide you with alternative answers.

Playing with adding tension and removing tension from different specific areas of your body can also provide alternative ways of using the body. Adding tension here or removing it from there can change our center of gravity. That change can alter the way we move.

Good luck

Regards

Brian King

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Another perspective or thought exploration you may wish to consider and work with while training is 'Freedom of Movement.' Being a bit unstable may not always be a bad thing. Sometimes, like a spinning top, being a bit unstable in movement allows other movement to emerge. Being open to that other movement allows the freedom to explore that movement. If it leads to falling, great, that too is training and particularly useful training for the 'real' world. Falling from unusual and unprepared body positions is a real skill not easily trained. This type of exploration might lead to unorthodox kicks or kick defense that works well for you not in spite of your condition but because of it. Learning to work from a floating center of gravity can be interesting exploration.

One additional quick thought

You know music I believe? Have you ever seen the guys working the sound boards near the bands? The boards have all kinds of switches, knobs and levers. A little of this adjustment here on the magic boards can make the music sound thus. The same sound effect can be accomplished several ways just depending on the sound technicians experience and ear. If you can think of your body as that magic sound board – if there is one way of achieving balance, might not there be many other ways? For example, all of our joints have flexibility and can be adjusted. There is slack that can extended or compressed depending on need and desire. Playing with this might provide you with alternative answers.

Playing with adding tension and removing tension from different specific areas of your body can also provide alternative ways of using the body. Adding tension here or removing it from there can change our center of gravity. That change can alter the way we move.

Good luck

Regards

Brian King

Yes I do know music. I flirted with DJ'ing years ago. So music does form a important area of my life. To me music is everywhere, but translating that is always a personal viewpoint to me. Those soundboard peeps are very gifted, and dealing with so small incrementals to keep things on track as it were. Anyway, I waffling a bit.

To pick up on the former part of the post. Freedom of movement has not been a problem for me as such, the issue has always technical. For example, and despite many attempts, I can't spin on the foot, either side. I can do backwards, but no spin, at least with the lower body. For example, I can spin my body to deliver a backwards elbow, but in terms of balance and execution, I am top heavy. Of course it does not help that tension in my upper half of my body, does not help. Muscular wise, my knock and shoulders are like a coiled spring. Strong as hell, but somewhat restricted with relaxed flow. So hence, any attack or response has to be calculated, but not on the fly as such.

But anyway, @JowGaWolf, @Charlemagne, and thank you all for the replies, you have all given me a different perspective to delve further. Appreciate it :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single leg up hill hopping with weight (such as a fence pole) can increase your "dynamic balance".

With the OPs body structure issues how do you propose that helping him?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With the OPs body structure issues how do you propose that helping him?
I don't know the detail of OP's body condition. He can try it,

- if it works for him, he can keep doing it.
- If it doesn't work for him, he can stop doing it.

It's ancient CMA training that was invented a long time ago.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He posted up on this thread, I think it would be courteous if you read the thread.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cool, just some stupid humour on my part. Anyway, Scoliosis is a condition that can be so severe that exo skeltions are needed in the most severe cases. In my case, a lot of fusion had taken place, so hence my upper body is strongest. It is why primarily in a fight, I rely on punching and elbows, or head but or whatever else comes to hand. TBH, I favour grappling, there once I get control, I don't relinquish, but relying on the upper body, just causes more chance of injury for me. No big deal for you, but having a twisted spine, alters the dynamic, whatever can be found in CMA. I just jump on snottiness, no disrespect intended fella.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
n

This type of exploration might lead to unorthodox kicks or kick defense that works well for you not in spite of your condition but because of it. Learning to work from a floating center of gravity can be interesting exploration.

Good luck

Regards

Brian King

There are some good suggestions above for you to try and see if they work for you.

When I studied TKD, we all had to do all things a certain way. Assistant instructors were ever watchful to ensure we did, and make even very small adjustments as they felt needed.

When I began studying Hapkido, within a few lessons, I noticed that I was not doing something quite like the asst instructor. I asked him if he could show me what I was doing wrong and how to correct myself so I did it like he did. I was stunned at his answer. He told me that in Hapkido, how you did something was OK if it efficiently achieved the intent of the move, be it block, strike, kick, or grapple. It was not that we could reinvent techniques at will, but that we make it work for ourselves.

All that to lead up to another interesting thing I learned for kicks in Hapkido. We have some kicks where we fall forward on our hands just about the time the kick makes contact. Balance is no longer an issue.

hapkido spinning kicks - Bing video

In the above, you also see a way of spinning that is different from what is usually taught. But I think he puts too many moves in there. I was taught to put my plant foot in front, then force the spin with the balls of both feet. Quick and powerful.

Below, notice how the hands are used for increased balance in a spinning heel kick, and therefore, increased power since there is less reliance on balancing on one foot.

We also had a front kick to the head of a downed opponent, where we dropped towards the plant leg to improve balance. Of course if you try those movements, you need to try to improve you ability to recover quickly to a standing position.

Rob Batiste used to teach his students a back kick where the student used one hand on the floor to the front to balance. It was in one of his forms.

I don't know if you would be interested in trying to use your hands. Or if your style would allow it, or if you see any advantage to it or not. But it might be worth a try on any of your style's kicks where you can use that to aid balance.

Last edited:
OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
n

There are some good suggestions above for you to try and see if they work for you.

When I studied TKD, we all had to do all things a certain way. Assistant instructors were ever watchful to ensure we did, and make even very small adjustments as they felt needed.

When I began studying Hapkido, within a few lessons, I noticed that I was not doing something quite like the asst instructor. I asked him if he could show me what I was doing wrong and how to correct myself so I did it like he did. I was stunned at his answer. He told me that in Hapkido, how you did something was OK if it efficiently achieved the intent of the move, be it block, strike, kick, or grapple. It was not that we could reinvent techniques at will, but that we make it work for ourselves.

All that to lead up to another interesting thing I learned for kicks in Hapkido. We have some kicks where we fall forward on our hands just about the time the kick makes contact. Balance is no longer an issue.

In the above, you also see a way of spinning that is different from what is usually taught. But I think he puts too many moves in there. I was taught to put my plant foot in front, then force the spin with the balls of both feet. Quick and powerful.

Below, notice how the hands are used for increased balance in a spinning heel kick, and therefore, increased power since there is less reliance on balancing on one foot.

We also had a front kick to the head of a downed opponent, where we dropped towards the plant leg to improve balance. Of course if you try those movements, you need to try to improve you ability to recover quickly to a standing position.

Rob Batiste used to teach his students a back kick where the student used one hand on the floor to the front to balance. It was in one of his forms.

I don't know if you would be interested in trying to use your hands. Or if your style would allow it, or if you see any advantage to it or not. But it might be worth a try on any of your style's kicks where you can use that to aid balance.

Food for thought there. Definitely looks like I could try a more segmented approach with spinning. Not that I am that concerned anymore, just more of an itch really. The latter kick. Would you consider that a reverse sweep? Thanks for the name in Rob Batiste, sounds like some very interesting information maybe on offer.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Food for thought there. Definitely looks like I could try a more segmented approach with spinning. Not that I am that concerned anymore, just more of an itch really. The latter kick. Would you consider that a reverse sweep? Thanks for the name in Rob Batiste, sounds like some very interesting information maybe on offer.

I would not know what other people would call it. To us it was just a spinning reverse kick to the ankle. We used English names for our moves and techniques.

We also had higher spinning kicks where we didn't go down low like that and although we used the same spin and hook we of course didn't fall down and use our hands.

I guess you could call it a sweep. Properly done it will take a person off their feet, and very probably break their ankle.

I hope you can get some use out that type of kick.

I'm not sure how knowing Rob Batiste's name will help, but if it does that is good. AFIK he still teaches in the NoVA, DC, MD area. He was a real whiz with kids. They were just so anxious to please him with practice and school grades.