Help with Hong Kong

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod's I am sorry I had no idea where to post this, feel free to move it wherever it's supposed to go.

My father is a pilot. We don't talk much but I love him. I learned this morning that he had to have an appendectomy in Hong Kong while on a layover there. I gather there has been many complications and they have to operate again and frankly, I am scared. I am just trying to find out what hospital he's in. I thought this community with it's many many members from all around the world might have somebody in Hong Kong who speaks the language and could make a few calls for me. I can make an international call but I don't know who I should call.

His company won't tell me anything... it's maddening. Please Pray for my Dad... Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What specifically are you looking for a someone who speaks the local language to do?

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The consulate is an auto attendant with no option to reach a human. I thought maybe somebody in the area could call a local hospital and find out if my dad was admitted.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the consulate's probably been shut down for the last 2 1/2 weeks. However, the State Department should be able to help you. Also, as I recall, you're in the military? If so, you might find some assistance through your family support services or the Chaplain's office. At a minimum, they might be able to find someone who speaks an appropriate Chinese to help you.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As Carol said, do you actually need that person in HK or can they be anywhere, just able to speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin?

Do you need that person to somehow find out the hospital your dad is in and therefore do sluething (which may be major time involved) or do you want them to simply talk to the medical staff/hospital you have located to figure out what is up?

I have been to HK a few times and from that would have thought most senior medical staff would have good English in any event. I have not been to hospital in HK but have in Taiwan - Taipei - and my eyes were opened and in a good way, efficient and competent, top notch equipment and facilities and very proactive treatment and approach (more so than most Western countries I have been in and found myself in hospital). Am not saying that is the case for HK but don't immediately fear that his medical treatment will be any less than in the States (it may be better).

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great News! My father finally contacted me directly (via email). He says he's on the mend and should be allowed to leave the hosptital on Monday. Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like he's gonna pull through.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great News! My father finally contacted me directly (via email). He says he's on the mend and should be allowed to leave the hosptital on Monday. Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like he's gonna pull through.
That's great, I have a few Mandarin (not Cantonese/Hong Kongese) speaking friends scattered about that I may have been able to get hold of but am very glad to hear your old man is on the mend.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wonderful news.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So happy to hear that! I hope the rest of his recovery goes well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions