hello from wales

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm gonna be going to UCardiff :D and it's nice to speak to americans who actually know Wales exists, when I was in New York and told a cab driver I was welsh he asked me where in England that was :\ haha

At least he knew it was in the UK... that's something!

I've always been a big fan of Welsh mythology: when I was younger than you I was seriously 'into' the Mabinogion and a lot of stuff about pre-Roman Celtic Britain. And believe it or not, here in central Ohio I'm always seeing automobiles with Welsh dragon logos and the slogan Cymru am byth on them, so you know this is some chap whose grandparents or great-grandparents came from Cardiff or Bangor or Swansea. Wales has always been magic, for me, and my 10 year old son has the same sense of the place.

Must be weird to hear an American/Canadian living in central Ohio saying stuff like this, I guess...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Wales forever" indeed :tup:.

I too have ever had a fascination with the history and mythology of the Celts, the Welsh in particular. I've always felt somewhat ashamed of how the Welsh were treated by the English medieval monarchies too - that was one 'police action' that went well beyond it's original scope :eek:.

Ex, your comments on the Welsh contingent in Ohio are a surprise to me. Could you elaborate some on what pattern of immigration occurred to cause that? I have some vague stirrings of recall on the matter but I think that the knowledge I once had on this has been consumed by one of the memory black-holes caused by my bike accident :blush:.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Wales forever" indeed :tup:.

I too have ever had a fascination with the history and mythology of the Celts, the Welsh in particular. I've always felt somewhat ashamed of how the Welsh were treated by the English medieval monarchies too - that was one 'police action' that went well beyond it's original scope :eek:.

Ex, your comments on the Welsh contingent in Ohio are a surprise to me. Could you elaborate some on what pattern of immigration occurred to cause that? I have some vague stirrings of recall on the matter but I think that the knowledge I once had on this has been consumed by one of the memory black-holes caused by my bike accident :blush:.

I was actually curious about this myself after my post; it's one of those cases where you say something that's been lurking in your mind somewhere as an oddity and articulating it brings it to the top of your consciousness as a problem to pursue. There turns out to be a lot to this story. One dimension is given here; the information contains the remark that

Like numerous other nationalities, ethnic Welsh Americans viewed Ohio as a land of opportunity during the early 1800s. They viewed the abundance of land as a godsend and hoped to make a stable life for themselves on the frontier. The first Welsh migrants in Ohio traveled down the Ohio River from Pennsylvania. Upon reaching the mouth of the Muskingum River, they traveled northward to Zanesville. Numerous other Welsh Americans followed them. Future migrants usually came along Zane’s Trace. Eventually these people moved to present-day Licking County. Theophilus Rees and Thomas Phillips led these people to Ohio. These men had purchased nearly 1,800 acres in Licking County and founded the settlement of Welsh Hills.

And then we have, as one example of these Welsh settlements, the following charming place (see here):

Venedocia (latitude 40.78N, longitude -84.44W) is located along state route 116 in Van Wert County of Northwest Ohio about 10 miles southeast of the city of Van Wert. The village occupies an area of about 1/4 square mile. Its year 2000 population was 160. Here is the U.S. Census Fact Sheet for Venedocia.

Venedocia was first settled around 1848 and was incorporated in 1897 by immigrants from Wales. Some current residents still remember when the Welsh language was spoken in village homes and businesses.

A little Welsh village in Ohio!... :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sukerkin bless you I wouldn't take anything you said astray! I've been away for a week in sunny Essex ( haha it rained all week! as usual when I go) and I'm catching up on everything I've missed here.
Paul, I've replied to your PM with a couple of places to train, one's with a UK MMA legend Paul Jenkins which does concern me with you being so young lol! http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=3567

Jenkins has been known to make his entrance in an emu suit and also a Borat suit (the swimsuit...no don't even go there lol) he is also a top fighter and one of the hardest doormen around!

OP
Paul-M

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jenkins has been known to make his entrance in an emu suit and also a Borat suit (the swimsuit...no don't even go there lol) he is also a top fighter and one of the hardest doormen around!
****ing awesome I'm there lol.