hello from wales

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm from Wales in the UK, currently training in Shaoling Kung Fu but looking to train in something more practical such as MMA and Muay Thai while continuing in Shaolin. I'm 17 years old and don't have a job yet :p.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

And good luck finding a job.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! I've always wanted to visit Wales - there is a woman there who has tracked the Geneology of my family back a few hundred years and publishes a book on it every few years.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to mt
may I ask if there are many schools/styles of Martial Arts in Wales?
Always nice to have someone from across the big pond here

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings, Paul, good to have you with us!

I love Wales—have spent time in the North, in the area around Snowden; friends of mine now in England used to teach at UCardiff.

For what it's worth, I think that Shaolin KF could probably be extremely practical if you train the techs specifically for SD applications. This kind of question is a hot issue on MT, as you'll discover!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shwmai, Paul, sut da chi?

Many moons ago I used to go out with a Welsh girl and took on a deeper appreciation of the country than is normally gleaned merely from holidays in Rhyl :D.

Exile beat me to it with the note on the practicality of kung fu. I trained in it for twelve years and can tell you from personal experience that it does not come up lacking when you need it to defend yourself. Don't be sucked in by the current mania for allthings MMA and 'str33t'. Such fads are always passing and cycling through and none of them change the fundamental truths of the martial arts.

Browse around, read the threads on styles and training methods. Get your feet under the table and let us know what you think.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is unbeleivable! A world wide forum and someone from my own kwoon joins, what are the ods. If you've just stated you won't know me because I've been out of training for a long time due to a knee injury.

I'm looking foreward to training with you, give my regards to the club.
Josh

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is unbeleivable! A world wide forum and someone from my own kwoon joins, what are the ods. If you've just stated you won't know me because I've been out of training for a long time due to a knee injury.

I'm looking foreward to training with you, give my regards to the club.
Josh

Don't you just love MartialTalk?!! :) :cheers: :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shwmai, Paul, sut da chi?

Many moons ago I used to go out with a Welsh girl and took on a deeper appreciation of the country than is normally gleaned merely from holidays in Rhyl :D.

Exile beat me to it with the note on the practicality of kung fu. I trained in it for twelve years and can tell you from personal experience that it does not come up lacking when you need it to defend yourself. Don't be sucked in by the current mania for allthings MMA and 'str33t'. Such fads are always passing and cycling through and none of them change the fundamental truths of the martial arts.

Browse around, read the threads on styles and training methods. Get your feet under the table and let us know what you think.

Oi! don't you be knocking MMA LOL!! We had a fight night in Cardiff and there were more fights outside the Coal Exchange than in!!
Welcome Paul and DO listen to Sukerkin and Exile, they are the good guys! :wavey:
Seriously though I know a lot of MMA fighters from Wales and can recommend some good training places if you do fancy MMA.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

Sorry, Tez, I should've thought more about how that read on the page than what I meant in my head :O.

Glad you took it the right way and knew I wasn't bad-mouthing the art but referencing the hyper-hype that's bandied around by those that do not practice it :tup:.

Also, in reciprocal advice to our new OP, if you want to know what's what with regard to MMA, Paul, then Tez is the lass to talk to. Until I talked with her I had a real bad attitude towards the 'new' art that involved what I considered just to be a brutal form of wrestling. She helped me see behind the Magicians Curtain to what actually goes on. Same sort of thing with Exile for TKD and Brian for Ninjutsu.

Those aren't meant to be exclusive recommendations, for there are a great number of eloquent and experienced members here at MT who can help you if you listen. Some are 'art' specific and some, like my friend Kidswarrior, have a lot of wisdom across the martial arts spectrum (Kds is off-line at present due to Real Life but a post search on his username will bring up all kinds of good insights).

OP
Paul-M

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, yeah Josh I do know that's ****ing crazy lol, hows the knee? Thanks for the information everyone, yeah I know Kung Fu is good practically but I wanna do something else because the class is only twice a week and I'm obsessive at training lmao.

Tez seriously I've been searching for some good MMA places for weeks! I found two in Newport that I'm gonna try tomorrow but it's too far to travel like every day, are there any in Cardiff? I found one on Ocean Way that was apparently getting huge but then the instructor got injured and they shut down? Are there any more in Cardiff? Particularly open gyms as opposed to timetabled sessions.

OP
Paul-M

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
sorry mbuzzy, exile and tsshadowchaser, forgot to answer you.....
Buzzy wow that's awesome, he have a lot of stuff like that around here, there was a show recently when Donny Osmond tracked his family history to Wales, and a lot of people here are interested in ancestry, I'm not surprised the woman you're talking about was welsh..

tsshadowchaser yeah theres a lot of martial arts here, but mainly boxercise, aerobics based, and McDojo's you have to search to find a really good club but they're here too, guess that's like anywhere though.

and wow exile that's cool, I'm gonna be going to UCardiff :D and it's nice to speak to americans who actually know Wales exists, when I was in New York and told a cab driver I was welsh he asked me where in England that was :\ haha

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and wow exile that's cool, I'm gonna be going to UCardiff :D and it's nice to speak to americans who actually know Wales exists, when I was in New York and told a cab driver I was welsh he asked me where in England that was :\ haha

Ouch! That last part must've smarted a little.

Don't worry, many of the Americans here are much more worldly wise than that ... they can even point to their own State on a map of the World ... sorry, I meant Map of America there, of course; that goes without saying :lol:.

{runs and hides behind a solid object :D}.

Latest Discussions