Helio Gracie or Gene Lebell?

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is a fun threat if you could learn grappling from one of these amazing guys who would it be?

Helio Gracie? Who's entire family and extended family is full of chamion grapplers. He's the grandmaster of BJJ he also probably has more fights under his belt then all his family combined

Or

Gene Lebell 10th Degree Judo black belt. Trained with and was able to HANG with Bruce Lee and taught him some grappling and judo skills. He also was in the first ever mixed martial arts fight EVER in the usa thought it wasnt called that. It was him vs a boxer called Milo Savage Gene Lebell won, even though the Boxer tried to cheat and had brass knuckles under his boxing gloves.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gene Lebell just because I want to hear him for his stories on how he choked out Steven Segal.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Judo Gene. His stories are better, has been "beaten up" as a stunt man by half the actions heroes on screen, and everything I've read says that Gracie is a jerk and I would probably hate him if I met him in person.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gene gives out Pins that say, "I got my leg Broken be Gene Labelle" everytime he breaks someone's leg. How cool is that?
Sean

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya I think your gonna have little luck with either now days.
Helio is gone, and Gene is in bad shape.
I saw Gene last a few years ago and he was definitely on the downhill slide physically.
Mentally he was ok, he just looks his age now.

I think personally I would pick Gene in his prime of knowledge, and just past his prime in physical ability to learn from.

I am a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I would have loved to work adn train with Helio..
But just saying

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ya I think your gonna have little luck with either now days.
Helio is gone, and Gene is in bad shape.
I saw Gene last a few years ago and he was definitely on the downhill slide physically.
Mentally he was ok, he just looks his age now.

I think personally I would pick Gene in his prime of knowledge, and just past his prime in physical ability to learn from.

I am a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I would have loved to work adn train with Helio..
But just saying

You could still train with someone who trained under Helio and Rickson though like Pedro Suare is that how you say his name? But yeah Gene Lebell is still in Hollywood i think he and his number one student own a gym. Gokor teaches under him. i think Gokor is pretty good he's a sixth degree judo blackbelt he also adds sambo to his grappling system he's the heir to the Lebell grappling system ive heard thats what i read on Gene Lebell's website at least.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gene, no contest. He`s 10X cooler and I don`t speak Portugese. Heck, if it`s my fantasy training session, Gene might even give me my own pink gi.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You could still train with someone who trained under Helio and Rickson though like Pedro Suare is that how you say his name? But yeah Gene Lebell is still in Hollywood i think he and his number one student own a gym. Gokor teaches under him. i think Gokor is pretty good he's a sixth degree judo blackbelt he also adds sambo to his grappling system he's the heir to the Lebell grappling system ive heard thats what i read on Gene Lebell's website at least.

I have plenty of people who live around me that trained with Helio.
Its never the same its always different. I have trained directly with Carlos Gracie Jr. I also got to trian with Royce Gracie... great stuff, great guys, but not Helio.
I would train with them again in a moment if given the choice.
I met Gokor the same time I met Gene. There two guys are vastly different as well.

OP
M

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gene, no contest. He`s 10X cooler and I don`t speak Portugese. Heck, if it`s my fantasy training session, Gene might even give me my own pink gi.

Does anyone know why He wears the pink gi and NO IM NOT making fun of Gene Lebell i LIKE my limbs were they are.

Latest Discussions