Would you consider BJJ a low impact art?

revfidel

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

For those BJJ practitioners, would you consider BJJ a low impact art as oppossed to Judo (which to me seems to take a toll on you body as you age). I am now 50 and would like to begin training in a grappling system. I have a little experience with Judo (I took some lessons when I was young), but have back and ankle problems which prevent me from taking it again. From what I have seen, BJJ might be something I can practice as it seems to be lower impact than Judo. I would appreciate any comments, especially those students around my age.

Thanx, Revfidel

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know how bad your back is, but mine is pretty jacked. I have a herniated L5 that is very gimpy. When it gets inflamed, it creates a very painful cascade of issues that keeps me from even being able to drive for about a week.

I don't know what your specific physical limitations are, but most people who watch themselves on takedowns, know their limits and are smart about their training do just fine. Finding a good school where there isn't a lot of ego or machismo and you should be okay.

It IS a contact sport but the nature of sparring on the mat is that if you feel you're in trouble, you tap and reset.

OP
R

revfidel

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanx for your responses. SteveBBJ, my back is not as bad as yours, but if you can roll with your condition, I will probably be OK as long as I know my limitations. I am amazed at the dedication of people such as yourself to keep working out regardless of your injuries. I will speak to the instructor before starting.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BJJ is great and does not have near as heavy an impact nature as Judo but..... it is hard on the joints when trained with intensity. ;)

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol...definately not a low impact art unless you are doing a class without free training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree. I find good BJJ a less impact art than Judo and most good striking arts.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. I find good BJJ a less impact art than Judo and most good striking arts.
then you either don't do bjj or only do the non rolling classes(which means you have technique but can't use it). In REAL bjj we roll every class. In the last 9 years that I have done bjj I have received more injuries than in 30 yeard of wtf tkd. 3 dislocated fingers, 2 broken toes, a partially torn labrum, 2 concussions, an avulsion fracture of the semitendonosis muscle(hamstring), a "popped" elbow or two and I can not count how many times I have been slammed on a takedown. I admit that now it is easier to controlthe lower ranks and it is more of a chess match(as a brown belt) but I would never call bjj low impact.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello,

For those BJJ practitioners, would you consider BJJ a low impact art as oppossed to Judo (which to me seems to take a toll on you body as you age). I am now 50 and would like to begin training in a grappling system. I have a little experience with Judo (I took some lessons when I was young), but have back and ankle problems which prevent me from taking it again. From what I have seen, BJJ might be something I can practice as it seems to be lower impact than Judo. I would appreciate any comments, especially those students around my age.

Thanx, Revfidel
Compared to judo, where the major focus is on throws, BJJ is has less impact. That does not make it a fluffly bunny art. Of course, I'm 50 and started judo a few years ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Compared to judo, where the major focus is on throws, BJJ is has less impact. That does not make it a fluffly bunny art. Of course, I'm 50 and started judo a few years ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
agreed. Less takedowns=less slamming. However being frogged out(facedown, opp has hooks and is flattening you) by a 230 pound marine who is 15 years younger can cause even more damage. A popular position called "knee on stomach" has caused more ribcage/sternum/bowel injuries than I can count.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
then you either don't do bjj or only do the non rolling classes(which means you have technique but can't use it). In REAL bjj we roll every class. In the last 9 years that I have done bjj I have received more injuries than in 30 yeard of wtf tkd. 3 dislocated fingers, 2 broken toes, a partially torn labrum, 2 concussions, an avulsion fracture of the semitendonosis muscle(hamstring), a "popped" elbow or two and I can not count how many times I have been slammed on a takedown. I admit that now it is easier to controlthe lower ranks and it is more of a chess match(as a brown belt) but I would never call bjj low impact.

I don't do BJJ as much as I used to, but I don't do anything as much as I used to :) I'm over sixty and been actively practicing, full time, for over forty years. My main instructors in BJJ were Rickson Gracie, his first Black Belt Romolo Barros and a little with Relson Gracie. But my main focus was in striking arts, primarily Karate, boxing and kickboxing. I've spent more time rolling in BJJ and more time sparring in stand up than I can possibly remember. I competed for over twenty years in every damn thing, including BJJ tournaments. Hell, I've LOST more matches than a lot of folks have even watched.
But if I had to do it over again from the git go, I'm make BJJ my primary style. Yes, I've been slammed and broken in Jits, but in the long run - which is the ONLY thing someone my age looks at, BJJ is far gentler on the body and most important, your SKILLS are retained longer at a high level.

As for "non rolling" classes, I've never seen or been in a non rolling class, in fact I've never heard of one before, so I have no idea how to comment on that.
Pardon me now while I go harumph and grumble. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd agree with Buka. While my little toes look like tiny vienna sausages, and my right ear is a little puffier than it once was, I've trained largely injury free for going on 6 years now. My back issues are chronic and recurring, but I'm 100% confident that the fitness and core strength I have from jits helps more than it hurts.

It's true that injuries do happen. I've waited too long to tap on key locks and popped my elbow, but that's never kept me out of class for more than a couple of days.

In my somewhat limited experience, the knees are the most vulnerable thing in Jiu Jitsu. In training, I've seen one serious ankle injury. I've seen several knee injuries. Have to watch the knees. Sometimes, in the tangle, guys start torquing around. Usually, from what I've seen, injuries tend occur TO upper belts, usually when a new guy is spazzing out and the upper belt is trying to protect him from himself.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As stated above BJJ has far less impact than Judo but then again so does every other martial art.... Is there a martial art with the same or more impact than judo? Sombo/sambo maybe?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Impact is not just getting slammed on the mat. Boxing is a high impact martial art as is real TKD (the non watered down Olympic style which allows KO's), Kyokushin Karate and Muay Thai.

legattacks

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanx, Revfidel

I would not consider it a low impact art. Although you can train at a low impact level with some good partners. The problem with always training that way is you lose out on one of the greatest benefits you get from grappling arts, which the ability to go full force. This prepares you for real combat.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The thing that's great about BJJ is that you can always tap. I've visited quite a few gyms and my experience is that most bjj guys are extremely conscientious and not wanting to injure their training partners. I've been on the mat with guys nursing a sore back and I just ask what position they'd like to start in and what they want to work on and then roll accordingly. I've known guys coming in off a knee injury and every body in class is careful not to re-injure the knee. If you get put in a position that you feel might aggravate your back just tap.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BJJ is easier on the body than judo, but rougher than a lot of other arts.

I will say that the way that you roll can make a huge difference in how much abuse your body takes in BJJ. If you keep it playful and relaxed, tap early and often, and focus on learning rather than winning, then you should be able to stay relatively injury free. In my opinion, most injuries in BJJ stem from ego and competitiveness.

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As someone who's trained in BJJ and have competed, I wouldn't call the sportive version of BJJ low impact. Live sparring or 'rolling' is tough on the body, and competitors are typically athletic people. From a training viewpoint, I personally like the way the Gracie Academy from Torrence, CA trains. They don't allow white belts to 'spar' until they achieved their blue belt. This allows their students to develop their techniques correctly before they begin using them at 100%.

A big issue with a lot of BJJ schools is that they only focus on the sportive side of grappling, and don't concentrate much on self defense bjj.

You can train low impact by drilling techniques over and over and do some slow sparring. Good luck and train hard!.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What the use of "having a technique" if you can't pull it off because your body is shot? What you describe isn't healthy, my friend. I'm sure it's fun, but those injuries will take a toll as you age. IMO, BJJ at a non-competitive level doesn't have to tear up the body. I can spar everyday, every class with BJJ and I've had to take breaks with other arts to let my body recover. The most serious injury I've had while rolling is a popped elbow. I think it probably dislocated and snapped back into place. Basically, I didn't tap. I thought I could get out of the hold and the armbar wasn't as loose as I thought. ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to revisit this topic and get a bit of advice. I've been considering getting into BJJ with my 16 year old son at a family oriented club with good credentials. It be a great complement to my other MA experience in WC and Escrima. And maybe it would get my kid off the dang videogames. But my friends tell me I'm crazy. I'm 59 and have some joint issues including limited movement in my ankles and knees as well as herneated/bulging discs in my back (L-5, S-1).

The back pain and sciatica comes and goes these days, but after repeated injuries and surgeries, my knees won't bend enough for me to squat down and sit on my heels, much less go into full seiza posture, and they always ache some if I bother to pay attention.

In other words I can probably about do this (without the support shown):

benchside.jpg

But there's no way I can do this (or hunker-down and sit on one heel like I've seen people do in many BJJ techniques) :

seiza.jpg

In spite of these issues I can still work my Escrima and WC effecively. I just try to be careful.

So could I also try BJJ and get anything meaningful and functional out of it, or is it strictly and art for athletic youngsters under 50???

Latest Discussions