Healing injuries with Chinese medicine

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tom Bisio's "A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior" is being published on October 14 and can be pre-ordered from Amazon.com. I've known Tom for several years as his student, and more recently, an apprentice in his Chinese medicine clinic. In fact, I went to school and became an acupuncturist fundamentally because I saw first-hand how effective his style of Chinese medicine can be for treating martial arts-related and sports-related injuries.

The book is written for the lay-person, not the clinician (for whom Tom teaches advanced courses in acupuncture, herbology, and bone-setting) and would be a welcome addition in anyone's martial arts libary.

More information can be found at: www.tombisio.com

Best,

Steve Lamade

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody have more information on Hilot - Filipino Natural Healing? Not that there is anything wrong with Chinese Healing, just thought I'd through it out there with this being in the FMA section. Speaking with several Hilot practitioners, and from my limited knowledge of Chinese healing, they seem similar. I did notice that Hilot does place alot of emphasis on prayer, and a belief system (if you don't believe it can heal you, then it won't) before or during treatment.

OP
lhommedieu

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
From a recent "hilot" thread on www.martialartsplanet.com:

"As with any bodywork, a lot depends on the ability of the practitioner.

Mark Wiley has good things to say about Sam Tendencia (sp.?) in Filipino Fighting Systems. Gat Puno Baet teaches hilot as part of his system. You may want to look up his seminar schedule to see if he's still offering classes in hilot. One of my teachers spoke very highly of Momoy Canete's bonesetting abilities and said that while he didn't have the training to recognize it at the time, Momoy's massage techniques were probably tied in to something similar to Chinese medical theory.

I guess that if you believe that massage/physical therapy is good for martial arts injuries, then a finding qualified hilot practitioner is pretty logical for a Filipino martial artist. I'm sure that as with any skill, there are very good hilot practitioners and some not so good. The proof is in the pudding.

Best,

Steve"

The thread appears 3/4 of the way down on page 1 of the Filipino Martial Arts forum. There are a couple posts that allude to the way that hilot is a culturally specific form of healing, as you state above.

Gat Puno Baet of the Garimot system is located in Florida. I believe that he teaches hilot courses.

Best,

Steve

Latest Discussions